Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    The harmonic sophistication under an ostensibly simple melody, more specifically the ambiguity of the key, very creative frequent modulations pulled off with such ease, inverted chords with the bass nearly always playing a note other than the tonic, unresolved chords at the brink of resolving then resolving to surprising places but never sounding tricked up. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a more harmonically rich pop song, except Jimmy Van Heusen's Here's That Rainy Day (if that qualifies as a pop song). Both songs are often the subject of harmonic analysis in advanced music theory classes, and for good reason. Brian Wilson heard this stuff in his head. Genius.
    That might make it an interesting song from a musical theory standpoint, but doesn't make it a good song. Obviously plenty of people think it sounds good, too, but I'm not a fan.

The harmonic sophistication under an ostensibly simple melody, more specifically the ambiguity of the key, very creative frequent modulations pulled off with such ease, inverted chords with the bass nearly always playing a note other than the tonic, unresolved chords at the brink of resolving then resolving to surprising places but never sounding tricked up. Off the top of my head I cannot think of a more harmonically rich pop song, except Jimmy Van Heusen's Here's That Rainy Day (if that qualifies as a pop song). Both songs are often the subject of harmonic analysis in advanced music theory classes, and for good reason. Brian Wilson heard this stuff in his head. Genius.
    TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!!!

But these go to eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

All that brilliance and it still sounds like a childrens sing-a-long.

Perfect in the end of Boogie Nights though

Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD!!!
    lol nice

I danced with my mom at my wedding to that song iirc, no objection to calling it overrated tho. I'm not that sentimental.

God Only Knows is overrated. Wouldn't It Be Nice and Caroline No are better:

Bose Headphones are overrated.

Someone should also start an Underrated thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Double IPAs
    IPA's in general. So many great beers out there and this shitty style is the one that stupid Americans fixate on.

Smart TVs are overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    IPA's in general. So many great beers out there and this shitty style is the one that stupid Americans fixate on.
    I like my beer to bite me back, and I don't like the sugary flavors of maltier beers, so IPAs work for me. YMMV.

And I'd say more stupid Americans fixate on watery lagers and pilsners than IPAs.

At the risk of being shunned by ECRC: Heady Topper. That's right...I put it in writing: Heady Topper is overrated!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I wasn't a fan either !

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    mostly agree. I enjoy my share of IPAs, but...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    having a go to breakfast joint is highly underrated
    Not by me.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Not by me.
    More of a breakfast bong load, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ha, didn't read it that way at all, but then,consider the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    At the risk of being shunned by ECRC: Heady Topper. That's right...I put it in writing: Heady Topper is overrated!
    It is now, but was not 5 years ago.

I have this argument with my jazz/classical/prog rock friend all the time. I don't give a shit how much technical music theory brilliance is in a piece. No one cares about that.

Does it touch you in some way? Make you feel something? Maybe Pet Sounds managed to do both for some people, but for most people, 3 cords and the truth is where it's at.

Bacon.

yeah I said it.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Bacon.

yeah I said it.
    And on that note: avocado, anything called "aioli," and the flavor "chipotle" (and possibly also the restaurant chipotle but this depends highly on your friend group)

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It is now, but was not 5 years ago.
    The only time I had it was about 5yrs ago...I guess I'm a trendsetter!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

snorting coke off a stripper's ass

Bob, I've wanted to ask, how's she doing? Has she been around this summer?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang