Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: State Fair time

State Fair time

It's that time of year for State Fairs. Who goes? Who avoids them? Post up past memories. Maybe a few pics of things you have seen. Always some interesting folk at the fair.

MN has a pretty big one. Haven't been in a while. Loved it as a kid. Always liked climbing around on the combines and the touring the animal barns. Pronto pups, not corn dogs...huge difference. Love the brohans who walk around with every empty beer glass they have had day all stacked under each other. The drunk scoreboard.

I'll go to the Central Washington State Fair next month for Sprint cars the first Saturday of the fair. Always a good time. And there is a vendor there with the best gyros ever. Family recipe that's been passed down. And a shaved ice. Damn I love those things.

I don't much like attending the Minnesota state fair. I have a couple buddies that go every year and drink for 12 hours. Sickness. One time they sent me a picture of the only place they could find to sit down and rest the dogs. They were hanging out shitfaced for hours on a couple of shitty chairs next to 3 dumpsters on a 95 degree day
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

No way in hell do I ride county fair rides- even before the latest flung rider event
    My distrust of the carnies ability to transport and put together complicated machines overrides my ability to enjoy the rides

altho I do love going for the 4H animals- especially the goats in 80's looking leotards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	211062
    skid luxury

Whoo hoo! Walla Walla Frontier Days is coming up on Labor Day Weekend. Oldest fair in the state - started in 1866.

http://wallawallafairgrounds.com/

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    No way in hell do I ride county fair rides- even before the latest flung rider event
    My distrust of the carnies ability to transport and put together complicated machines overrides my ability to enjoy the rides

altho I do love going for the 4H animals- especially the goats in 80's looking leotards

Psst ... those are sheep
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I'll go to the Central Washington State Fair next month for Sprint cars the first Saturday of the fair. Always a good time. And there is a vendor there with the best gyros ever. Family recipe that's been passed down. And a shaved ice. Damn I love those things.
    Is that vendor from Spokane? They hit our our Frontier Days - so good!

Those are sheep

haha thanks lol. I have some goat pics in here too somewhere
    skid luxury

Ugh that story out of the Ohio State fair a few weeks ago was horrible.
    I still call it The Jake.

I showed my horse at state fair in Puyallup in 1994. She cut her nostril off on a loose metal clip on her hay bag and they stitched it back on with these really thick sutures and it looked like laces. It was all very dramatic. Good times, good times.

Funny I dreamt about that horse last night. I love opiad dreams.

Was Ohio where they had to kill all the pigs?

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I showed my horse at state fair in Puyallup in 1994. She cut her nostril off on a loose metal clip on her hay bag and they stitched it back on with these really thick sutures and it looked like laces. It was all very dramatic. Good times, good times.

Funny I dreamt about that horse last night. I love opiad dreams.
    keep on keepin on with that broken paw.
    as I get older now I tend to like bone breaks more than ligaments etc- so a mini tiny silver lining lol
    skid luxury

Last years biggest pig.

State Fair time

I miss Minnesota State Fair.
    It was so much fun and food was amazing.
    Cheese curds, Bull Bites, Blue Sky Creamery, Sweet Martha's Cookie Jar... everything on a stick!
    Good old time.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    That is so awesome.
    I wish I had a picture like that from my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    I miss Minnesota State Fair.
    It was so much fun and food was amazing.
    Cheese curds, Bull Bites, Blue Sky Creamery, Sweet Martha's Cookie Jar... everything on a stick!
    Good old time.
    Haunted House was a highlight as teens; we used to try to rip the masks off the monsters in the cages.

I recall the Space Needle (or whatever it's called) getting stuck once. Never rode it again.

Great people watching for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Is that vendor from Spokane? They hit our our Frontier Days - so good!
    I'm not sure. I'll ask him if he's not busy when I order. He's a really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Was Ohio where they had to kill all the pigs?
    I never heard that one. I know a tornado or some such shit hit the Indiana State Fair a few years ago during a Tesla concert (or similar act) and the stage flipped over killing a few.
    I still call it The Jake.

We used to go to the Union Fair every year in Union, Maine, Pretty much your standard country fair except they had strippers, They were usually next to the freak shows, wall of death, two headed animals in jars, and guy who OD'd and now thinks a snake was his best friend.

Name:	NYC32734.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	211069

Name:	NYC32731.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	211070

Quite a learning experience for a 13 year old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYC15658.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	211066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYC32731.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	211067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYC32734.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	211068  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like a rough life, First day

3 years later

No one's mentioned hypnotist show ?? Multiple fairs where high school friends got suckered onstage to make complete asses of themselves.

Google "Grady Stiles" for a crazy tale of the "Lobster Boy", murder, and mayhem. He used to "perform" at the MN state fair. My old roommates and I went into his tent; so fucking depressing. There was a tape loop playing, describing what a freak he was, while he chain-smoked and ignored us. Weird days.

State fairs great time to be a kid.
    watch out for snakes

Fairs are going strong here in Washington. From now until the state fair in Puyallup I think there is one going on somewhere in the state every weekend.

Walla Walla Fair and Frontier Days is happening this weekend. Lots of cowboys and 4-H (no strippers like Refried). I believe our fair is the oldest in the state.

I drove past the NY State fair twice this week. One of those was after work hours so I could have stopped but at highway speed I couldn't check to see if there was a good concert that night so i just kept going. I used to enjoy them, I should have gone...