Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What AWD car is better than this AWD 'X' car?

My Tesla 3 is another year out, as I have to wait for AWD production. Fuck. So I'm gonna get a fun car meanwhile: my current car is old and getting crabby at me, so I gotta ditch it before it breaks down.

What I'm wondering is, what is comparable to roughly a 2014 BMW 5 series X-Drive 540i or 550i? (A 2014 may still have a year left on it's warranty, which is super valuable as I may only keep it a year.)

-I'm looking to spend the same amount as the Tesla, about 28-35k.
    -I need backseats for kid seats (might still consider a 3 series size car though)
    -I need AWD, it does not have to be cutting edge AWD.
    -It has to have already depreciated a bunch, so when I sell it in a year I don't lose too much.

If I got an audi, it would have to blow away the BMW performance-wise. Volvos are not fun, sorry. Caddies have some AWD fast cars, but are they actually good? MB AMGs aren't AWD. Maybe a SUV that handles like a 5 series....kind of a long shot? What else, or is that it?

Ive just started my search today, for reference I test rode a 2013 BMW 7 Series 740Li xDrive and a 2014 BMW 535d xDrive Sedan today. The 7 was just for fun, but it was a bad-ass grandpa car that was fast and practical (if it fits in my garage). The Diesel 5 was cool, but clunky transmission. Not sure if that was a deal breaker though. It was fast and has great gas mileage, if I keep my foot off the gas, ha.

What AWD car is better than this AWD 'X' car?

Acura. MB e550 will scream.

0-60:

Sport 4MATIC BlueEfficiency Sedan AWD 4.3 sec
    Last edited by 4matic; 08-25-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Jeep SRT8s are quick and make hooligan-fun noises.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

The Caddy ATS and CTS are great cars. That's where I would start.

Agree with shred, CTS awd sports wagon. Tons of room, good performance and good used ones out there for the right price

I think your BMW choice is the tops, and the others are something to look for as well. Maybe there will be a screaming deal or whatever. I'm biased.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Agree with shred, CTS awd sports wagon. Tons of room, good performance and good used ones out there for the right price
    If you want the interior space, that's a great call, but the sedans are easier to come by. For more fun and la bit less practicality, I bet you can get a used low mileage ATS-V sedan in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Jeep SRT8s are quick and make hooligan-fun noises.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Scary fast and love the look on people's faces when they get burned of the line. My buddy Jamie had one and regrets selling it.

Mazda CX-9.

Porsche Cayennes and Range Rovers both depreciate like crazy in the first 3 years. I have an HSE Supercharged RR that has been a great reliable car for 8 years. You can likely find a RR sport Supercharged in your price range.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Pretty sure he wants a car, not an SUV.

Stay away from the E350 series 4matics. Nothing wrong with the car as far as transportation, but man they are pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Porsche Cayennes and Range Rovers both depreciate like crazy in the first 3 years. I have an HSE Supercharged RR that has been a great reliable car for 8 years. You can likely find a RR sport Supercharged in your price range.
    Oh, so you got the reliable Range Rover. I was wondering who won that lottery

I was always pleased with BMW's awd system in our X5s, actually impressed with how good they were in the snow. Never had an x-drive version of their sedans, but I'm sure they're fine while still giving you that nice performance. Personally I think the F series 5's are the best they've made in years.
    I still call it The Jake.

The 550i is a shitbox. Engine will fail.

Get a GS350 awd.

Certified for 35k: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7941/overview/

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I've always liked a GS. Buddy has an older one and I'm always impressed how well its looks have held up.
    I still call it The Jake.

We just picked up a 535d x drive. Thing is stupid fun with 400 lb ft of torque, and we paid low 30's for a CPO. If you're inclined, you can also use racechip or other tuners to get another 60 hp and 100 lb ft. Drives a bit like a tank, but the torque is fun.

I had CTS AWD and it was the biggest POS I ever owned. A warranty is a great thing but not if it's always at the dealer. The only good thing about CTS is that they drop like rocks in value so you can get cheap. And ATS-V never came in AWD. If you're going to have more than front seat passengers, god bless the ones stuck in the rear penalty box in an ATS.

I just let my beloved Jag XF go to CarMax as I got an absurd deal through my company for an Audi, but the XF has been available for the last 3 years in AWD, and is an absolute stunner in looks and performance (supercharged V6). They also drop like rocks resale wise, so a good thing to get as a CPO and enjoy for a while.

Thanks everyone, there's a ton of good info and ideas here. I found a used dealership that has almost every car recommended here on it's lot right now, so testing a bunch of different cars will be super easy. Now I know what to ask for.

x2 on the Lexus GS. Supposed to handle really well and it's unlikely to give you any issues. That and they hold their value.

Has Toyota/Lexus improved their AWD system? Last Toyota AWD car I had sucked compared to Subie, Mazda and Audi AWD systems

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Has Toyota/Lexus improved their AWD system? Last Toyota AWD car I had sucked compared to Subie, Mazda and Audi AWD systems
    I'm surprised Toyota isn't using Subaru's setup. They own shares in the parent company that owns Subaru

"Toyota expands partnership with Subaru parent Fuji. Toyota Motor toy will pay $311 million to raise its stake in Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries to 16.5%, and the two companies said Thursday that they will develop cars together. ... It currently owns an 8.7% stake in Fuji Heavy.
    Toyota expands partnership with Subaru parent Fuji - ABC News

subaru may have screwed the pooch on that with the Camry thing

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    x2 on the Lexus GS. Supposed to handle really well and it's unlikely to give you any issues. That and they hold their value.
    This is probably the safest pick among $35,000.00 CPO AWD luxury sedans.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Toyota's car and crossover AWD is different depending on which vehicle you are looking at. Their FWD based ones are (IIRC) "FWD until it slips" type, on the crossovers and Matrix. I don't know what's in the Venza, but I assume it's the same, as I think that's basically a Camry wagon.

The GS, IS, and LS AWD systems are all RWD based, and all full time in the sense of always sending torque to all the wheels. My IS 350 has something like a 35/65 default torque split, and the computers tell it more or less depending on slippage.

What affects my car in snow the most is 100% the tires. On winter tires, it's unstoppable until it simply gets too deep. On the UHP 3-season tires, it can't handle much snow without feeling very sketchy or sliding. The stability control steps in early too, but is defeatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Drove a 328 BMW Xdrive and then a CTS 4 3.6L right afterwards today. BMW was so damn fun. The CTS is a good car but not comparable to a 3 series and it's gearing was fucked. Interior looked ten years dated. Total old mans car. CTS-V is out of my price range, I'm guessing that drives much better.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 2014 335 BMW with the M Package now, but i'll try to find a GS350 to test ride. I don't think I want a larger car anymore after driving the 328.

I can't put myself in an Audi for some reason.

Edit to say....the hatchback version of a 2014 335 BMW may be a compromise on handling/performance but dang it would be functional!!! Anyone here drive a GT 3 series?
    Last edited by muted; 08-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Drove a 328 BMW Xdrive and then a CTS 4 3.6L right afterwards today. BMW was so damn fun. The CTS is a good car but not comparable to a 3 series and it's gearing was fucked. Interior looked ten years dated. Total old mans car. CTS-V is out of my price range, I'm guessing that drives much better.

I'm leaning heavily towards a 2014 335 BMW with the M Package now, but i'll try to find a GS350 to test ride. I don't think I want a larger car anymore after driving the 328.

I can't put myself in an Audi for some reason.

Edit to say....the hatchback version of a 2014 335 BMW may be a compromise on handling/performance but dang it would be functional!!! Anyone here drive a GT 3 series?
    Caddy ATS and Lexus IS are the 3 series competitors, if you're okay with that kind of size.