Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Lil bro lil bro sit down lil bro be humble lil bro lil bro sit down!

Sometimes if I'm in severe pain valium is helpful in the mix....you know, because there's an inevitable anxiety component with severe pain. My super-pain-knockdown cocktail is whatever opiate I have for the injury + flexiril + valium + benadryl. I've only done that twice, for some intense nerve pain, but it damn well works if the goal is to knock the pain down and get some sleep.

I actually have a few hard core anti anxiety pills, i could try that if i need to, but i got the pain knocked down at the moment, I think adding the vitamin i helped a lot.

Aaron, quit being a little bitch. You are compensating for something, give it up.

I broke my fibula

old goat, I'm interested in your opinion on stacking NSAIDs in a case like this; that is taking ibuprofen, then ~3hrs later taking Tylenol, then ~3hrs ibuprofen again. For short periods and assuming no other contraindications of course, but I remember with cracked ribs a single form of NSAID at max recommended dose (non-prescribed) not lasting long enough.

I think you can actually mix nsaids at the same time with no problems assuming you keep the dosage low?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the correction cmcrawfo; acetaminophen doesn't relieve inflammation like ASA or ibuprofen. Max recommended dose is something like 3000mg as well.
    I heard of stacking from a paramedic, and some backcountry 1st aid, but would love to hear a doc on the implications.

I have some diclofenac sodium... for got about that. That cannot be taken with ibprofon but I'm not sure about the aceaminiphin in Vicodin

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I just took a couple ibuprofen with the vicadin and it helped and my friend gave me 11 and half left over Vicodin from her broken fibula so I will make it to Monday at least and maybe my regular doctor will give me more or it won't hurt as bad. I think the pain kept getting ahead of the pills because I was trying to conserve.
    you probably won't need it by then I'm guessing. It is true that it takes less pain med to prevent pain than to stop it once it gets bad.

Thanks og

Healing vibes mtngirl. You'll be back on it in no time. Careful on the comeback

mtngirl, give me a call if you need a ride to an appointment.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    mtngirl, give me a call if you need a ride to an appointment.
    hah....ride with a bus driver? I'd walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    hah....ride with a bus driver? I'd walk.

Thanks, fiddler... as for riding with bus drivers, my friend yesterday was terrifying and has lived in Bellingham longer than me and couldn't find main roads without direction.

Once it stops hurting I'm going to take the para transit bus! Bahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Sometimes if I'm in severe pain valium is helpful in the mix....you know, because there's an inevitable anxiety component with severe pain. My super-pain-knockdown cocktail is whatever opiate I have for the injury + flexiril + valium + benadryl. I've only done that twice, for some intense nerve pain, but it damn well works if the goal is to knock the pain down and get some sleep.
    I'd advise against taking a sedative like Valium with and opiate--more respiratory depression, and for a lot of people benzodiazepines actually intensify pain. Obviously it's worked for you and drugs of those classes are regularly combined in hospitals, especially as preoperative sedatives, but that's a controlled situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    old goat, I'm interested in your opinion on stacking NSAIDs in a case like this; that is taking ibuprofen, then ~3hrs later taking Tylenol, then ~3hrs ibuprofen again. For short periods and assuming no other contraindications of course, but I remember with cracked ribs a single form of NSAID at max recommended dose (non-prescribed) not lasting long enough.
    Combining Tylenol or another form of acetominophen with an NSAID is a good combination for pain that doesn't require an opiate. My go to--both for my broken ribs and for a fairly serious chronic spine problem is 2 extended release acetominophen when I wake up, 2 200mg naproxen after breakfast (needs to be taken with food), 2 more naproxen at bedtime. (That's a prescription-level dose. Significant risk of ulcers and kidney damage.) Timing doesn't matter, take them together or apart, as long as there's something in your stomach with the NSAID. Same applies to NSAIDs and opiates--timing relative to each other doesn't matter.

As far as Tylenol and Vicodin--they both contain acetominophen, so never take both. If one is trying to minimize the opiate use you can substitute the Tylenol for the vicodin for some doses.

Mtngrl, you should ask for some Robaxin(methocarbamol)when you go to the doc instead of opiates. Taken with NSAIDS and or acetaminophen it will do more to make you comfortable than narcotics. You're more likely to get a decent supply of Robaxin than any opiate. A lot of the discomfort with injuries like you have is the muscles in spasm trying to 'splint' the injury.

But Isn't current med opinion that NSAIDs slow bone growth?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    That's what a doctor told me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I don't think that is the consensus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3259713/ That's 5 years old but not much has changed, none of the orthopedists I work with and have polled about this have problems using NSAIDS for pain relief with fractures. One doesn't like to use them when treating ligament and tendon injuries because he's worried that reducing the inflammation associated with healing will prolong the healing. He's an outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I don't think that is the consensus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3259713/ That's 5 years old but not much has changed, none of the orthopedists I work with and have polled about this have problems using NSAIDS for pain relief with fractures. One doesn't like to use them when treating ligament and tendon injuries because he's worried that reducing the inflammation associated with healing will prolong the healing. He's an outlier.
    Bones take weeks to months to heal. The NSAIDS are usually taken for a few days. (NSAIDS are by no means harmless drugs--being so afraid of opiates that we overprescribe NSAIDS does no one any favors. IME combinations of pain relievers are best because they allow each individual drug to be used at a lower dose, hence fewer side effects and complications.

This is a fucked up thread except for the good wishes, OG's expertise and AW's reco re robaxin.

IME opioid use is a very personal thing. I hate the side effects and coming off of them, so I avoid taking them whenever possible. Nonetheless, I don't know how I could have dealt with my first few days of post-brain surgery pain without fentanyl.

MG, does your job prevent you from smoking or eating cannabis for pain relief?
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 08-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Yeah. In theory, I won't be tested for the six weeks+ I will be out, but they could always offer light duty, and then I'd go to work and be at risk for getting tested. It's not worth it.

Yikes.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Heal up!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Yeah. In theory, I won't be tested for the six weeks+ I will be out, but they could always offer light duty, and then I'd go to work and be at risk for getting tested. It's not worth it.
    we have to find better yobs. Pot-smoking yobs. The kind of yobs where there are donuts every day and people tell jokes.

Driving for a living is whack.