Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    But...why? Short for the up, long for the down? Trying to understand this in the context of your comments on wheelbase, which if I understand correctly you're of opinion that they've gotten too long?
    To generalize, yes. That's fine for mach silly but not all trails let you go mach silly. It's funny watching 5'6" women riding 29ers with 31" wide bars and wheelbases that equal a lg dh bike. I mean it kind of makes sense in the way that the bike needs to just roll over stuff better cuz god help her if she needs to actually lift the front wheel over something.

As far as why would I switch? I'm not sure it's a mid trail ride thing as much as just going between different kinds of trails. On tight stuff go shorter to whip it around easier.......faster wide open go longer for tron cycle. I'm not one of the people that thinks there's one magic reach number for your body size. We can competently ride bikes that are 4-5 inches apart in front-center measurements. People seem to forget that. My dirt jumper is way shorter than any trail bike I've ridden in the last 10 years and I'm fine on that thing doing stuff most endurpadurpers would never do on a 'flow' trail. At a certain point you get stuck. Bars too wide, stretched out too far over the front end......you can't move around the bike anymore. My GG is pretty long so I cut the bars down so I can get over the back wheel a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Woah, really? How much do they have to lift out of the frame to spin around?

I was going to suggest S&S couplers with an extra section of tube to stick in the middle but the headset thing sounds better.
    Maybe half an inch each. They're really wide and long machined aluminum bits but they're not that deep. I can just back out the stem cap slide up the stem a little and rotate one at a time. It's kind of neat.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    North: just fyi those bearings in transition frames are cheap cheap cheap and any bike shop can/will have them. Super easy to switch out too.
    They ended up sending me the Enduro brand bearings so I'm all set parts-wise. What do you recommend for pressing new ones in? I figured I could rig up a ghetto press with bolts/nuts/washers but if there's a more elegant solution I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    They ended up sending me the Enduro brand bearings so I'm all set parts-wise. What do you recommend for pressing new ones in? I figured I could rig up a ghetto press with bolts/nuts/washers but if there's a more elegant solution I'm all ears.
    I used my headset press and rubber mallet (gently!)

Some threaded rod, nuts and washers work too.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

bearingprotools.com

They will have a set of pullers and presses for your particular bike (all the 4 different size bearings). Cost me 65 GBP (I think that's like $75). Beyond that, you'll need a pair of wrenches, a hammer, and a bolt small enough to fit through the center of the bearings.

Maybe half an inch each. They're really wide and long machined aluminum bits but they're not that deep. I can just back out the stem cap slide up the stem a little and rotate one at a time. It's kind of neat.
    That is neat. Can't see myself ever swapping around mid-ride, but still nice that it's easy.

To generalize, yes. That's fine for mach silly but not all trails let you go mach silly. It's funny watching 5'6" women riding 29ers with 31" wide bars and wheelbases that equal a lg dh bike. I mean it kind of makes sense in the way that the bike needs to just roll over stuff better cuz god help her if she needs to actually lift the front wheel over something.

As far as why would I switch? I'm not sure it's a mid trail ride thing as much as just going between different kinds of trails. On tight stuff go shorter to whip it around easier.......faster wide open go longer for tron cycle. I'm not one of the people that thinks there's one magic reach number for your body size. We can competently ride bikes that are 4-5 inches apart in front-center measurements. People seem to forget that. My dirt jumper is way shorter than any trail bike I've ridden in the last 10 years and I'm fine on that thing doing stuff most endurpadurpers would never do on a 'flow' trail. At a certain point you get stuck. Bars too wide, stretched out too far over the front end......you can't move around the bike anymore. My GG is pretty long so I cut the bars down so I can get over the back wheel a little easier.

Bro, you can go from Shred Daddy to Crush Dog while your bro shotguns a beer at the top. There’s a mid-geo setting for maximum hike a bike performance called the Schlep Hesher too in case you need it. 3 bolts, prolly 2 sizes, but it’s mega dog.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

anybody seen joe around?

Somebody in denver got ahold of his account.

Some threaded rod, nuts and washers work too.
    I do this as well, and add a socket to the mix if the size is right.

As far as why would I switch? I'm not sure it's a mid trail ride thing as much as just going between different kinds of trails. On tight stuff go shorter to whip it around easier.......faster wide open go longer for tron cycle.
    Yeah, that I could see. Though, my GG is quite a bit longer than my Reign was and still navigates tight switchbacks better than the Reign ever did. Sorcery may be involved. I've also never used the GG in anything other than Gravity mode. I might try Trail mode if the wife wants to ride something like Gooseberry or Guac where you never descend for more than 10 seconds, but other than that....

Guess I'm of the mindset that you can't go too long or too slack you just need to find trails that match the bike on fun factor. Considering a Pole Stamina 180 for next year. Keep a hardtail in the stable for longer rides or ones that might not suit a bike that likes to party that hard.

At a certain point you get stuck. Bars too wide, stretched out too far over the front end......you can't move around the bike anymore. My GG is pretty long so I cut the bars down so I can get over the back wheel a little easier.
    I’m going through this right now trying to set up my large Devinci Troy, which has a 30 mm longer reach than the medium Norco Range it replaced. I’ve been playing around with a few things, but moving the grips in to a position equivalent to 760 bars (after riding 780s forever) is the first thing that has felt like it really brought back my ability to be dynamic on the bike. As you described, with long reach and wide bars, I felt stuck.
    Last edited by D(C); 10-20-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Heh, the reach on the Medium GG Pedalhead I'm building is 451mm compared to 403mm on my Medium v1 Bronson.

And the Pedalhead is gonna have a head angle of 64 degrees with a 150mm fork, appropriate to the title of this thread ...

I'm gonna run a 35mm stem, but we'll see how these 800mm bars feel for my 5' 8" / 32" shirt sleeve length sized body after I get 'er all built up!
    (my guess is my hands will move in to 780 or 770 ...)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I've been doing some reading about reduced offset forks. My current theory is that a reduced offset fork needs to be paired with a 1-2 degree slacker head angle or the front centre will just feel to short.

This has been prompted by about 6 months on my Devinci Troy GX Ltd., which came with a 160-mm 42 mm offset Lyrik. Even with the fork bumped up to 170, which pushes the head angle to 65 degrees, I am feeling like I can't drive the front as much as I'd like when it gets steep and/or rough. Similarly, it feels like there is not enough front wheel in front of my bars to push against in fast corners.

The overall feeling is of a bike with too steep a head angle for the type of riding it should be capable of. Never did I think I would find a 65 degree head angle to feel too steep. I rode a Norco Range with 65 degree head angle a 30 mm shorter reach for a couple seasons before and never had issues. I am blaming the short offset fork, which I think is ill-suited to more moderate head angles. I would bet that the Troy feels great with a 51 mm offset fork.

So I have ordered a 1.5 degree Works headset. We'll see if my theory is correct. Hopefully the bike won't feel like too much of a boat with a 63.5 degree head angle.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I've been doing some reading about reduced offset forks. My current theory is that a reduced offset fork needs to be paired with a 1-2 degree slacker head angle or the front centre will just feel to short.

This has been prompted by about 6 months on my Devinci Troy GX Ltd., which came with a 160-mm 42 mm offset Lyrik. Even with the fork bumped up to 170, which pushes the head angle to 65 degrees, I am feeling like I can't drive the front as much as I'd like when it gets steep and/or rough. Similarly, it feels like there is not enough front wheel in front of my bars to push against in fast corners.

The overall feeling is of a bike with too steep a head angle for the type of riding it should be capable of. Never did I think I would find a 65 degree head angle to feel too steep. I rode a Norco Range with 65 degree head angle a 30 mm shorter reach for a couple seasons before and never had issues. I am blaming the short offset fork, which I think is ill-suited to more moderate head angles. I would bet that the Troy feels great with a 51 mm offset fork.

So I have ordered a 1.5 degree Works headset. We'll see if my theory is correct. Hopefully the bike won't feel like too much of a boat with a 63.5 degree head angle.
    I swapped a fork onto my mega tower from a hightower lt... it has a bigger offset, I'm wondering how much I'll notice it.

Other than a bunch of MTBR folks opining on what they think the bennies are, where have you read about it?
    I've been wondering and haven't had time to do so much on the google machine yet.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I swapped a fork onto my mega tower from a hightower lt... it has a bigger offset, I'm wondering how much I'll notice it.

Other than a bunch of MTBR folks opining on what they think the bennies are, where have you read about it?
    I've been wondering and haven't had time to do so much on the google machine yet.
    It would be interesting to hear what you notice after you ride your bike.

This review of the Gen 1 Ripmo describes something quite similar to what I've been feeling: https://nsmb.com/articles/2018-ibis-ripmo-reviewed/

"The shorter offset calms the front wheel in a number of situations — climbing and cornering in smooth terrain being two noticeable areas. I still found it to exhibit a nervous demeanour when going for it in aggressive terrain. On flatter, bermed trails, the geometry complimented an energetic rider. It made time where it didn’t seem any existed and danced down the trail with ease. Tip it down a steep grade where comfort at speed is key, or put it through terrain with lots of root and rock, and the bike wasn’t as comfortable. Repeatedly I found it required more rider input in these situations, compared to similar bikes. As a tall rider, I found myself having to push the front of the bike further ahead when coming into rough sections, moving the front wheel further away from my mass."

This article also has some interesting (and conflicting) opinions: https://nsmb.com/articles/short-fork...whats-it-good/

Anyone using one of these Cascade Components linkages? Thinking about throwing one on my 19 Patrol. http://cascadecomponents.bike/v3-patrol-lt-link/

Looks pretty sweet...
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anyone using one of these Cascade Components linkages? Thinking about throwing one on my 19 Patrol. http://cascadecomponents.bike/v3-patrol-lt-link/

Looks pretty sweet...
    I would have gotten one for my Sentinel, if I hadn't already decided to replace it. I have friends with Cascade links on their Bronson and Stumpjumper, and they both love it. Seems like a no-brainer upgrade.

Interesting. I almost never use full travel on my patrol so the bit about more bottom out resistance runs counter to what I’d want to change

Maybe thats for a coil idk?

I checked in because i miss my scout. The new ones look even better. Wouldnt mind even having a smaller sized one, with coil, for just playing around. Im too fragile to call it jibbing but just riding slower and poping off stuff and taking shitty lines. Maybe i want something lighter though. My scout was anything but light

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Interesting. I almost never use full travel on my patrol so the bit about more bottom out resistance runs counter to what I’d want to change
    Check out the leverage curve. The linkage also gives you more leverage ratio early in the stroke (i.e., the wheel has more leverage over the shock stroke), thereby giving better small bump compliance. That's what I'm mostly interested in. The improved mid-stroke support looks good too. Improved resistance at bottom-out, and increased travel, is nice but less important for my purposes.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Maybe thats for a coil idk?

I checked in because i miss my scout. The new ones look even better. Wouldnt mind even having a smaller sized one, with coil, for just playing around. Im too fragile to call it jibbing but just riding slower and poping off stuff and taking shitty lines. Maybe i want something lighter though. My scout was anything but light

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Definitely makes the suspension curve more progressive, thereby lending itself better to a coil. The stock suspension curve is relatively linear, so favors the air shock. As far as I understand it anyway!

I don't know much about suspension, so if I'm totally off, someone please correct me.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Definitely makes the suspension curve more progressive, thereby lending itself better to a coil. The stock suspension curve is relatively linear, so favors the air shock. As far as I understand it anyway!

I don't know much about suspension, so if I'm totally off, someone please correct me.
    That's pretty much it. Stock curve will pedal better and work better with the natural progression of an air shock. New curve will have better small bump sensitivity and work better with the linear rate of a coil shock.

sweet thanks toast and others.

I'll give it a whirl and report back.
    sproing!

Will be interested to hear your feedback. Are you still running the stock DPX2?

I switched my 19 Patrol over for a MRP Hazzard coil with the progressive spring and generally love it. Small bump sens is massively improved, and I still never bottom it out (granted I only weigh a buck fiddy and don't huck bigly). Pretty sure I don't NEED the linkage but getting back some of the midstroke support I lost by switching to the coil might be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Will be interested to hear your feedback. Are you still running the stock DPX2?

I switched my 19 Patrol over for a MRP Hazzard coil with the progressive spring and generally love it. Small bump sens is massively improved, and I still never bottom it out (granted I only weigh a buck fiddy and don't huck bigly). Pretty sure I don't NEED the linkage but getting back some of the midstroke support I lost by switching to the coil might be nice.
    How did you choose the MRP? I am not familiar with that brand and their shock line-up, but will check it out.

Yeah, still on stock DPX2 (Performance Elite, not that it matters...). I was thinking about going to a Float X2 or a DHX2, but only because I don't know very much about shocks.

Float X2 looks awesome, but haven't heard a ton of positive responses on that shock on this bike. I would probably lean to the X2 since I am not familiar with coils (aka I'm scared) and the bigger aircan looks more big-pressive than the DPX2.

I've never ridden a coil, but I'm #CoilCurious. DHX2 now stocked on the Patrol has a custom tune (bottom-out spacers?) but not sure where to get those custom tuned DHX2s.

One person's review said that the CC linkage with the stock DPX2 addressed all of the owner's prior complaints. I figure I can give the linkage a whirl since it is less than half the price of an X2/DPX2. So I figured it is a good first step to try the linkage. If I'm still looking for more, I can try a different shock.
    sproing!