Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I used to do that with my dpx2, now I just swap shocks between coil and air for park days.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I used to do that with my dpx2, now I just swap shocks between coil and air for park days.
    Thats a great idea too, dont think im there yet though haha. When you did adjust the DPX2, how much pressure did you change it by? Seems like 10-20psi would do the trick.

I run more air in the park due to the significantly higher speeds.

Norton is on to something, Targhee has some slower tech-gnar that I like more sag on, and fast flow with jumps that I like a firmer platform on. Answer:
    It depends
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Pull 2. Was running my 170 with 0, 160 with 1 at the same weight. Add a bit of pressure when you do this. I can post full settings if you care.

I'm getting ready to change my 36 Grip2 from a 160 to 150. Fox calls for 20wt gold on the air side lower and 5wt teflon on the damper side lower. I'd rather not buy a quart of each, considering I'd only need 10cc and 40cc respectively. Wondering if anyone in the SLC area some some extra to spare in exchange for a six pack? I have some motorex and maxima that I might use as a substitute for the for 20wt gold, but I'm thinking it's best to stay with the 5wt teflon for the damper side, since there's some transfer into/out of the damper.

I’ve got both of those oils. Hit me up.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I think Push recommends using 10wt in both. https://www.pushindustries.com/colle...nt=43569962190

I’m 5’8” and demoed a large Sentinel at Kingdom Trails (I should probably be on a medium but they were out). In spite of the huge 475 mm reach, I really liked the bike. Seated, the top tube length felt spot-on, and I didn’t have issues driving the bike through corners. I didn’t get into anything steep or janky, though.

How are people sizing these? Am I crazy to think the large would be better than the medium for me at my height?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I’m 5’8” and demoed a large Sentinel at Kingdom Trails (I should probably be on a medium but they were out). In spite of the huge 475 mm reach, I really liked the bike. Seated, the top tube length felt spot-on, and I didn’t have issues driving the bike through corners. I didn’t get into anything steep or janky, though.

How are people sizing these? Am I crazy to think the large would be better than the medium for me at my height?
    I'm 5'9", and if I were getting one, I'd go with a large. I think you could go either way. The big bike will take getting used to, especially in tight stuff, and it'll definitely feel a bit less playful. But you gain a lot of straight line stability.

I'm 5'8" on a medium. If all you do is flowy trails, a large would be fine. I notice the long wheelbase on really tight corners already, so would not recommend sizing up if that's what you usually ride (unless you have really, really good body/bike control).

I'm 5'9" and very happy with the medium.

I find it hilarious that inherently longer, slacker, and lower bikes designed around 30 mm stems, bigger wheel diameters, and wider tires that result in an ever more stable, planted ride leads to sizing up instead of sizing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I find it hilarious that inherently longer, slacker, and lower bikes designed around 30 mm stems, bigger wheel diameters, and wider tires that result in an ever more stable, planted ride leads to sizing up instead of sizing down.
    I don't ride a transition but like to follow this thread because I like their bikes.

So... I'm 5'7" and have always ridden mediums. However I bought a Pivot Firebird 29 in small, per their recommendations. Small goes to 5'9" and medium starts at 5'8". It's a hudge bike, made sense. Actually felt a bit cramped on the bike in steeper stuff. Demoed a Medium and knew I'd made a mistake. Bought one and sold the small. Feels much better even though it is more to handle climbing. Just took a bit of getting used to and now it feels so right.

So I sized up, sorta, on a hudge bike, hahaha. They changed the sizing for the Firebird 29 because it is so long but they do say most people can potentially go up or down a size.

This is just what bikes are now. And they're awesome!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Steeper seat tubes lead to sizing up.

I can ride a bigger bike on the way down, no problem. But if the top tube gets too long, my back hurts on long climbs. Steep seat tubes solve that.

I agree, it’s a bit funny. There are definite benefits to the steep seat angle for keeping a slack front end under control on climbs, but then wheelbase starts growing. The sweet spot can vary, but maybe long reach with steep seat angle combined with short chainstays and a slightly steeper head tube angle is a good combination for a bike with modern fit that doesn’t feel like a boat.

I think the large Sentinel was a bit past where I want to be on wheelbase, but trying it out made me aware of a different perspective on sizing. Reach matters, but so does having a long enough top tube.

The top tube on the large Sentinel is similar to that of my medium Norco Range 29, which I find quite comfortable.

Not in my house

Preach it brother.

One of these days people will remember a little thing called wheelbase when it comes to how a bike actually handles where it matters. And why professional dh racers still talk about it, but not the mtbr dwids.

edit: ^D(C) knows
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I should add to the above, I did not try a large Transition, only the medium, but I did try some other bikes with longer reach and it wasn't for me. I could ride them for sure, and they were very stable, but I lost a lot of playfulness and maneuverability that I wanted to retain.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here, short seat tubes and long dropper posts mean that most people can choose between two or three sizes based on how they want the bike to feel. At 5'9" I could certainly physically fit on either the medium or large, probably even the small, but the medium felt right to me.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 09-02-2019 at 01:39 PM.

I wish I had a bike that would extend or contract an inch in the toptube and downtube.

I don't even need a button, I'd deal with a quick release option.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

New Transitions too slack?

5’ 10 1/4” Large carbon Smuggler. Not too slack.

Edit to add*

I haven’t noticed the bike being more slack (compared to my 2016) while climbing. I notice the change in geometry big time once the seat is down and the bike is fully out in front. Which is quite nice.
    Last edited by the_flying_v; 09-03-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Current bike 62.5 ha and a 1275mm wb, bb 315mm, and 445mm chainstays

Next bike 62 ha and a 1290 wb, bb 335, and 445mm chainstays. So more longer, more slacker, but less lower. Inch closer and closer to being a disciple of the church of Geometron.

FWIW I crapped on Transition in the /rant thread for how they handled a previous warranty claim of mine. In short, my pivot bearings were toast after < 15rides (2017 Patrol) in CO dry conditions. They didn't want to replace them under warranty and fought me on it, but ultimately relented after much kicking and screaming.

Almost 2yrs later I noticed some cracks near the BB are on my Patrol. I got a wide range of opinions from different Transition dealers on the severity of the cracks, and decided to contact Transition directly. End result was a new front triangle on my doorstep 3 days after starting the inquiry and providing photos. Their response in this case was much faster and more generous than I was expecting, so suffice to say I'm back on the side of "Transition CS is legit."

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I wish I had a bike that would extend or contract an inch in the toptube and downtube.

I don't even need a button, I'd deal with a quick release option.
    Funny going back and reading this

You can actually do this with the new guerilla gravity plastic frames. Don't even need to take the stem off to rotate the headset cup inserts. Who knows if I'll ever do it regularly mid ride but I'm all talk anyway.

North: just fyi those bearings in transition frames are cheap cheap cheap and any bike shop can/will have them. Super easy to switch out too.

You can actually do this with the new guerilla gravity plastic frames. Don't even need to take the stem off to rotate the headset cup inserts. Who knows if I'll ever do it regularly mid ride but I'm all talk anyway.

North: just fyi those bearings in transition frames are cheap cheap cheap and any bike shop can/will have them. Super easy to switch out too.
    Woah, really? How much do they have to lift out of the frame to spin around?

I was going to suggest S&S couplers with an extra section of tube to stick in the middle but the headset thing sounds better.

But...why? Short for the up, long for the down? Trying to understand this in the context of your comments on wheelbase, which if I understand correctly you're of opinion that they've gotten too long?