Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    The only thing I don't like about my patrol is I feel guilty for holding the bike back do to my lack of skills

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Tell me more about Patrol, high on my list to replace sb5.5, progressive? Some people said hard to run an x2? 2.8 clearance?
    Can't tell you if an X2 would work well or not. I've only run the stock DPX2. However, Transition has posted a few employee rides and I've seen a couple running coils on Patrols, so I'd take that to mean that a more linear shock isn't out of the question. I also can't say anything about how well 2.8s fit, I'm not into clown tires.

I can say that this quote is pretty great:

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    It's a carbon fiber Abrams tank that likes to pretend it's a F16.
    The thing is incredibly planted and stable when you want it to be, but also ready and willing to pop off everything. I suck at jumping, but am far more comfortable jumping the Patrol than anything else I've ridden. The rear suspension is not quite as plush and smooth through chunder as some bikes, but the geo keeps everything super stable. Bike mag said something to the effect of "the Patrol is the bike you want if you want to ride hard through any terrain, but still want to be able to feel the trail under you" which I think is accurate.

It climbs competently enough for what it is. Wheel flop is there, but manageable. It's not the most efficient peddler, but the bit of bob is counteracted by having loads of traction in technical terrain. I have limited mobility in my low back due to an SI injury so I find the more upright climbing position to be very comfortable. Perhaps the biggest downside for climbing is the weight - even the carbon frame is a tank - but at the same time, I'm not at all worried about breaking it.

I wanted a bike that could ride literally everything, from long alpine rides with lots of climbing to lift served DH tech trails. The Patrol does that. The local trails here are steep and chunky, generally long ups and long downs, and the Patrol is great for that. If I rode somewhere with more rolling or smoother terrain, I'd want something else.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Can't tell you if an X2 would work well or not. I've only run the stock DPX2. However, Transition has posted a few employee rides and I've seen a couple running coils on Patrols, so I'd take that to mean that a more linear shock isn't out of the question. I also can't say anything about how well 2.8s fit, I'm not into clown tires.

I can say that this quote is pretty great:

The thing is incredibly planted and stable when you want it to be, but also ready and willing to pop off everything. I suck at jumping, but am far more comfortable jumping the Patrol than anything else I've ridden. The rear suspension is not quite as plush and smooth through chunder as some bikes, but the geo keeps everything super stable. Bike mag said something to the effect of "the Patrol is the bike you want if you want to ride hard through any terrain, but still want to be able to feel the trail under you" which I think is accurate.

It climbs competently enough for what it is. Wheel flop is there, but manageable. It's not the most efficient peddler, but the bit of bob is counteracted by having loads of traction in technical terrain. I have limited mobility in my low back due to an SI injury so I find the more upright climbing position to be very comfortable. Perhaps the biggest downside for climbing is the weight - even the carbon frame is a tank - but at the same time, I'm not at all worried about breaking it.

I wanted a bike that could ride literally everything, from long alpine rides with lots of climbing to lift served DH tech trails. The Patrol does that. The local trails here are steep and chunky, generally long ups and long downs, and the Patrol is great for that. If I rode somewhere with more rolling or smoother terrain, I'd want something else.
    Thanks man! Good talk. See you out there.

I recently got a Sentinel after considering a Patrol. I love the geometry. It pedals fine uphill. With the shock set up more for trails rather than chunk, I find no need to touch the lever. And on more rooty or rocky climbs I like to leave it open also. They do run heavy, but they are built like tanks.

My only gripe with the Sentinel is that it is only barely progressive (~10% depending on what analysis you look at), while the Patrol is more like 25%. Coupled with the shorter travel, I find it harder to have a perfect do-anything tune for my shock on the Sentinel. Either I run higher pressure and the biggest token to combat bottom out on mid-sized jumps at the cost of suppleness over smaller bumps, or run lower pressure and smaller tokens for a more suppleness and feel a solid thunk every time I hit a jump more than like 2'. I'm very average size (170 lbs) so it's not like I'm some clyde. Because of this, I'm lately wishing I'd gone with the Patrol so I could run a DHX2 or X2. If I want to run a coil on the Sentinel, I'm stuck with either an 11-6 or Storia.

^ I hear ya,

I wrote to Transition today because I had heard that the Patrol actually wasn’t a good jive for the X2/Coil/more linear rear sus. Having said that, the X2 got a change with some better bottom out resistance for 2019+ so that might have helped, and as Adrenalated mention, tons of their pros run coils, just weird that at least early on in the Patrol run they were actively advising against it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4193.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	288068

This is from the transition website patrol specs page. I'd be interested to hear what their official response is to your enquiry - please let us know Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4193.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	288068

This is from the transition website patrol specs page. I'd be interested to hear what their official response is to your enquiry - please let us know Thanks!
    Haha, seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    ^ I hear ya,

I wrote to Transition today because I had heard that the Patrol actually wasn’t a good jive for the X2/Coil/more linear rear sus. Having said that, the X2 got a change with some better bottom out resistance for 2019+ so that might have helped, and as Adrenalated mention, tons of their pros run coils, just weird that at least early on in the Patrol run they were actively advising against it.
    Yeah, after I posted that, I actually started considering the new X2 for my Sentinel as well because of the bottom out bumper. I figure it should let me run a less crazy amount of volume tokens, since the bumper will mute the 1-2 times per ride that I bottom out. I'm not concerned about that, I just don't like to hear/feel a metallic "CLACK!" when it happens.

But yeah, even their sponsored enduro racer Marco Osborne who won Trans Provence a couple weeks ago ran a DHX2 on his Sentinel. Maybe they just DGAF if they're bottoming out hard now and then? Or they run high enough spring rates that it seldom happens?

Damping.

Use it. Those knobs cost lots of money. Don't be skeerd.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Damping.

Use it. Those knobs cost lots of money. Don't be skeerd.
    Compression or Rebound? I run my rebound fairly wide open (10/14 clicks from closed), to try and ensure the shock doesn't get stuck down in its travel. For the pressure ranges I've tried, that's 1-2 clicks more than Fox's suggestions. I've tried LSC at both ends of the spectrum (4/10, 7/10, and 10/10 from closed).

The tuning suggestions I've seen for the Sentinel all involve running fast rebound. One mindset (including what the Transition guys suggested to me) was running a lower pressure (~15 psi above body weight) with lots of LSC. And the other that I've seen a lot is run higher pressure (like 30-40 psi above body weight) with very little to no LSC.

The sag recommendations are worthless IMO, since I'm able to get 18mm sag in identical gear, seated, running anywhere from 190-220 psi, depending on slight variations on how I sit on the seat.

“The new 2019+ X2 is a great option for that frame! The guys in house that run the DHX2 have some custom larger bottom out bumpers installed. We've had really good results with the Push and EXT options and some guys are hit or miss with the Super Deluxe coil. As far as I know the Marzocchi CR bottoms out on the carbon frame with the larger piggy back design.”

From Transition themselves.
    Re: Patrol

Anybody interested in a 1 yr old medium carbon Smuggler for a good price? I love the bike but gotta swap to something we sell. I’ll have pics and info this wkd

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Compression or Rebound? I run my rebound fairly wide open (10/14 clicks from closed), to try and ensure the shock doesn't get stuck down in its travel. For the pressure ranges I've tried, that's 1-2 clicks more than Fox's suggestions. I've tried LSC at both ends of the spectrum (4/10, 7/10, and 10/10 from closed).

The tuning suggestions I've seen for the Sentinel all involve running fast rebound. One mindset (including what the Transition guys suggested to me) was running a lower pressure (~15 psi above body weight) with lots of LSC. And the other that I've seen a lot is run higher pressure (like 30-40 psi above body weight) with very little to no LSC.

The sag recommendations are worthless IMO, since I'm able to get 18mm sag in identical gear, seated, running anywhere from 190-220 psi, depending on slight variations on how I sit on the seat.
    High speed compression damping.

I'm confused though, are you running a coil or an air shock?

If it's an air shock put some damn spacers in there. That's an easy one.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Loving my Sentinel

All day backcountry mission with 6-7k of climbing (including lots of steep singletrack) or Whistler Westside steeps, it does it all. The traction in wet sketchy stuff continues to surprise me, certain things are about to go wrong it hooks up and keeps going. Not going to win any XC races but damn it climbs steep technical singletrack so well for it's weight.

I really liked my sentinel. I never felt like the rear suspension worked all that well though. Maybe it was just that dpx2 that I didn't get along with, I never tried other shocks on there. I've moved onto an evil offering and I've got it setup really close to the sentinel geometry wise (160mm up front, low offset fork, -1 angleset). The evil rides similar but is so much better in pretty much every way. I did anti up for a custom tuned rear coil from Avalanche which might be part of it but even with the stock RS air shock that came on it the small bump sensitivity was so much better than on the sentinel.

All the transitions went back to a really flattish leverage curve. I don't know why but it's one of the main reasons I won't be owning one. They did it right with the patrol v2 with the metric shock because it gave it a more progressive rate. The shorter travel bikes are even flatter which is probably where everyone's gripes are coming from. Air shock territory for sure.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I really liked my sentinel. I never felt like the rear suspension worked all that well though. Maybe it was just that dpx2 that I didn't get along with, I never tried other shocks on there. I've moved onto an evil offering and I've got it setup really close to the sentinel geometry wise (160mm up front, low offset fork, -1 angleset). The evil rides similar but is so much better in pretty much every way. I did anti up for a custom tuned rear coil from Avalanche which might be part of it but even with the stock RS air shock that came with on it the small bump sensitivity was so much better than on the sentinel.
    That all makes sense. Evils are all very progressive at the beginning of their stroke. Sentinel is pretty linear throughout its travel. So Offering = better for small bump traction, Sentinel = more supportive and better for pumping.

Yeah, it could be that for sure. I guess I only mentioned small bump sensitivity but for me (and maybe it was my setup) the transition felt like it was a bit of a plow bike where the evil has this ability to be either. It can mob straight down chunk and be stuck to the ground or it's totally happy to pop off of everything and be super playful where I was never getting much of that from the sentinel. Nothing against transitions though, those guys are awesome and a great company, just adding some food for thought for anyone shopping around.

FWIW I only demo'd the Sentinel but I agree that it was more of a plow bike. If what I cared about was getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, I would for sure own that over the Patrol. The Patrol I think has more variation in personality, like how you describe your Offering. The linkage curves seem to be pretty similar (at least according to linkagedesign.blogspot.com) so it must just be the wheel size between the Patrol and Sentinel?

The only real complaint I have about my Patrol's suspension is it feels more harsh than I think it should on square edge hits. If I had the talent to pick good lines this wouldn't be a problem at all.

Agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The only real complaint I have about my Patrol's suspension is it feels more harsh than I think it should on square edge hits. If I had the talent to pick good lines this wouldn't be a problem at all.
    Yeah, I always felt that way on the sentinel too. It seemed like it was slamming into everything.

High speed compression damping.

I'm confused though, are you running a coil or an air shock?

If it's an air shock put some damn spacers in there. That's an easy one.
    Currently on the stock DPX2 Performance Elite. The DPX2 doesn't have HSC adjust, which is probably why I was getting frustrated. I already have the largest token in there. I did switch over to running the higher sag/higher LSC setup that a guy from Transition recommended last night, and on a short easy ride it did seem to feel better. The much higher LSC is probably adding some of the needed HSC (if I understand the curves from Vorsprung correctly).

I've since impulse bought an 11-6 because Push let me know they had a few Sentinel blem models for 25% off, but haven't received it yet. At that price it's less than an EXT (once you figure in tax and import fees), plus I have more faith in Push's base tune than EXTs, just because they make so many of them. I was all set to buy an X2 set up for Sentinel, but the Dirt Labs guys weren't picking up the phone and didn't respond to my email in time, so their loss. And I regularly see 11-6s up for $800 on PB, so if it doesn't feel great it won't be a huge loss, or that much more than the X2 once you added in mounting hardware.

Dfinn, it's interesting to hear you went that way. That was the other build I was considering before I got the Sentinel: basically putting Sentinel geo on DW linkage. But it would have been a few hundred more at retail (base price + angleset + new dropper), and I ended up getting a good deal on the Sentinel. If I'm not happier with a custom tuned shock, maybe that's where I'll end up too.

I ended up picking up the frame very lightly used off of PB and got a pretty good deal then swapped most of my existing sentinel parts over. The Avalanche shock (zoke Bomber CR) is really amazing and at about half the price of push with what I'm told similar performance, minus all the fancy dials and switches. Which is fine by me because I've barely touched it from the way that Craig at Avalanche sent it to me, I think I maybe added a click more of compression but it was pretty much perfect for me.

All the transitions went back to a really flattish leverage curve. I don't know why but it's one of the main reasons I won't be owning one. They did it right with the patrol v2 with the metric shock because it gave it a more progressive rate. The shorter travel bikes are even flatter which is probably where everyone's gripes are coming from. Air shock territory for sure.
    I can't figure out why they would do it. It doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    basically putting Sentinel geo on DW linkage.
    By DW Linkage you mean just a fancy name on a single pivot right?