Mountain biking in Alsace or Interlaken?

Yeah, yeah, search jong... couldn't find anything on this.

Heading to Alsace, FR and Interlaken for 8 days with the wife in September. Finishing up the trip with a marathon, but planning on doing some other activities before the race. Anybody have info on good singletrack around Alsace or Interlaken? Any other suggestions on must-dos in the mountains around there?

I guess you are referring Interlaken, CH? Grindelwald in the valley just south from Interlaken is a swiss mtb mekka. Teton actually did a small video from there ---->

The wine is cheaper and better in Alsace and you might find some decent tracks in the Vosges in the western part of the region.

Quote Originally Posted by jensantoft View Post
    I guess you are referring Interlaken, CH? Grindelwald in the valley just south from Interlaken is a swiss mtb mekka. Teton actually did a small video from there ---->

The wine is cheaper and better in Alsace and you might find some decent tracks in the Vosges in the western part of the region.
    Having produced the trip for those videos (glad someone remembered them!) I can say that area's a bit light on riding. Grindelwald had a good ride down from the top of the First gondola (stuff in the open in the snow, and the mossy/rock wall trails in the woods later in the video) that I could give an idea of how to ride, although the stuff in the woods is kind of hard to find. Worth it just to ride that alpine section though with the view of those OUTRAGEOUS mountains. They're fucking enormous, without a doubt the biggest and steepest vertical relief I've come to face. Looks like a painting even though you're so close to it.

My favorite trail we rode was hit by taking the tram up from Lauterbrunnen and then the train over to Winteregg on the way to Murren. You ride a trail that cuts along the edge of the enormous cliffs there, will probably meet a few psychos off to BASE jump into the valley (it's a world-renowned BASE spot with 3,000 foot cliffs and wooden platforms to jump off everywhere), but that trail is super, super fun. Basically ride it all the way to the base of the tram and could lap from there.

I imagine there might be other options higher up, but we were getting pretty effed by snow at that point in the trip in late October.

If you can drive a few hours from Interlaken there are much bigger more dedicated bike spots but I can't remember them off the top of my head. It you want more specifics from the above though I can PM ya or say more in detail here. The crew at Backdoor Sports in Grindelwald will know what's up as well.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.