Thread: Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro

I'm planning a trip to bike off the summit of Kilimanjaro for June 2018 and there's room for a few more people. If you're interested and capable shoot me a message and I'll start to work out the logistics/costs, but I can't get any truly solid numbers until we know how many people there might be. I think we can fit probably 4-5 more people on the trip at the absolute max. No need to commit now, will just get the numbers and we can all chat.

That sounds like an adventure. In theory you can get around 14k ft descent?

I'm not sure of the exact descending altitude after summit day because we are still figuring out which route we will do, but, there will be a lot of altitude for sure!

That sounds like the ultimate hike a bike. Or do you plan to hire porters to push the bikes up for you?

Are there other rides nearby to do while you acclimate or is this a one-ride trip? Doubtful I could go, but knowing rough timeline/plans and magnitude of cost could tempt more people.

Very roughly, gonna be around $6,000 plus airfare, the more people in the group the less it'll cost. You can ride whatever you are capable of on the way up, and carry your own bike strapped to your pack when it's long stretches of pure hike a bike. They make you have porters as well though for all the extra food and camping gear and what not, so you basically on any given day you will be carrying a daypack with enough water and snacks for the day, your clothing layers, and your bike. There is some room built in for side rides on acclimatization days where the hiking itself is short, so it's not just one ride down from the top. The owner of the company I will be using has cycled off the summit quite a few times and founded the local MTB group in Arusha so seems like the right service to use (they get good reviews from regular hikers as well).

Looking at sometime June 2018 for a 7 day trip. Fatbikes strongly recommended by the owner who has done this ride a few times if you want the most continuous line off the summit as the scree is deep and loose for part of it.

sounds pretty cool, but pricey.
    I remember a friend who hiked it, they went with local porter(as opposed to a big name web-based one) and got in for only 1000 or so.

Looks like a local to San Diego guy is organizing a trip:
    https://beatenpathshuttles.com/event...ke-expedition/

That would be awesome. Except for the price. And I can't do first week or so of any month. I could imagine you could find a cheaper guide service locally with a bit of research.

I vomited my way to the summit and back down in 2001. I did the easy tourist route and I was hiking. Just be aware that the guides take you up pretty fast, compared to serious mountaineering rates on other peaks