Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Millennials

Millennials

Need some extra help on a seasonal farm. Scroll through friends list on social media. Reach out to candidates that might fit. Get some replies denying the offer, thanks for that, others, one in particular shows interest.

Call you later. (this at 10pm). Says 11, doesn't call, I fall asleep waiting for call.

AM: (text from her) nooo, obviously meant to be in touch but something came up, Sleep, etc. no worries. I'll call later.

I respond, sure, get in touch.

Almost 24 hours later I reach out again:

Come close to 8oclock, "yo call me damn it"!

Response is: I'm busy will call tomorrow around 10:30.

Sorry princess, I reached out one too many times. You are not working under me. The encouraging note is I have also been working with the generation under the millennials and the seem to show a lot of promise.

"Generation __________ is totally lazy, self-absorbed, and worthless."

- Old Fuck

Millennials

Man good luck. It's hard finding people to do farm work. I'm lucky as some friends kids are in HS and love farm work.

I was just talking to the manager of a horse sanctuary down the road and he can't find anyone to do the work and he's paying $18 hour. Dairy down the road always has a help wanted sign out and their start pay is $15.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Man good luck. It's hard finding people to do farm work. I'm lucky as some friends kids are in HS and love farm work.

I was just talking to the manager of a horse sanctuary down the road and he can't find anyone to do the work and he's paying $18 hour. Dairy down the road always has a help wanted sign out and their start pay is $15.
    Very difficult to find people currently, even at prevailing wage.

Finding people that want to work on the farm is tough. We had some luck putting flyers up at the local Tech school but it's hit or miss whether they're up to the task. I've had better luck hiring recent retirees than hiring millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Finding people that want to work on the farm is tough. We had some luck putting flyers up at the local Tech school but it's hit or miss whether they're up to the task. I've had better luck hiring recent retirees than hiring millennials.
    I am stuck in the middle between retirees and teenagers. It really gets old and taxing working amongst no one your peer group.

We've got good help here in EWA in the form of migrant farm workers or at least we did before you-know-who started rattling people. You all don't have that resource?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

A few years back I stumbled across an Op-Ed from 1938 in some major newspaper of the day. (Sorry, no idea how to find a link). It was talking about how "kids nowadays " are so lazy because they never had a teenage job due to the Great Depression, and furthermore have no male role model to teach them a work ethic because their Dads and Uncles don't have jobs either. Fast forward 5 years and those worthless kids became known as "The Greatest Generation".
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    I am stuck in the middle between retirees and teenagers. It really gets old and taxing working amongst no one your peer group.
    Technically I'm a millennial by age but I'm a cantankerous old fuck at heart. So hanging out with the retirees suits me just fine.

Hey you kids get off my lawn!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    A few years back I stumbled across an Op-Ed from 1938 in some major newspaper of the day. (Sorry, no idea how to find a link). It was talking about how "kids nowadays " are so lazy because they never had a teenage job due to the Great Depression, and furthermore have no male role model to teach them a work ethic because their Dads and Uncles don't have jobs either. Fast forward 5 years and those worthless kids became known as "The Greatest Generation".
    Maybe it's just been too long of a week, but for some reason I found this absolutely hilarious.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    We've got good help here in EWA in the form of migrant farm workers or at least we did before you-know-who started rattling people. You all don't have that resource?
    Down here we are in a bit of a timber boom and they have snatched all the migrants.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Maybe it's just been too long of a week, but for some reason I found this absolutely hilarious.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Perfect just need a war and conscription and we are set.

Prob is Donny tried that but Kim JI won't take the bait

Technically I'm a millennial by age but I'm a cantankerous old fuck at heart. So hanging out with the retirees suits me just fine.

Hey you kids get off my lawn!!!
    You seriously could be 40 years old.

If its cotton, perhaps try reaching out to the African-American community?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    If its cotton, perhaps try reaching out to the African-American community?
    Jesus fucking Christ man, would you stop it already, it's not funny. You are not funny. Think up some actual jokes and stop leaning on bigotry like a humorless crutch.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

^^^Thanks for your contribution to one of the stupidest threads on TGR in a while.

Posts for job>doesn't hear back from one person>whole generation is fuc'd.

You're too simple to see the irony of stereotyping.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post

Whats a construction laborer make in your area? I hear laborers are in demand all over. As a carpenter's, mason's, or general construction laborer they can make more and have the opportunity to move up and learn a skill that is less physical and better paying.

It's a generational problem noone wants to work at your farm??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Farmers and ranchers often seem like a group of people who want to work harder not smarter. Stubborn old assholes. Don't they have automated dairy farms?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Farmers and ranchers often seem like a group of people who want to work harder not smarter. Stubborn old assholes. Don't they have automated dairy farms?
    they are really expensive and still need hands to drive the cows into the automated milkers - or so I understand

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    they are really expensive and still need hands to drive the cows into the automated milkers - or so I understand
    Paging nw_skier

I ain't gonna work on Twodogs Farm no more.

You guys must be 1st generational farmers or something. Best place to find young Caucasian farm workers, is to poach 'em from their parents on a nearby farm. Even for similar pay (as if we ever really got fair pay for our family 'contribution'), it was always better to work for the neighbour down the street.

We employed a similar strategy when we needed temporary seasonal labor on the farm during the harvest. My dad bought the local high school football coach lunch one afternoon and asked him to send over some of his boys names and numbers. This was a while ago so those kids weren't really millennials and may have had a bit better work ethic but it provided us with a decent sized pool of labor for the six or eight weeks we needed it each summer.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Need some extra help on a seasonal farm. Scroll through friends list on social media. Reach out to candidates that might fit. Get some replies denying the offer, thanks for that, others, one in particular shows interest.

Call you later. (this at 10pm). Says 11, doesn't call, I fall asleep waiting for call.

AM: (text from her) nooo, obviously meant to be in touch but something came up, Sleep, etc. no worries. I'll call later.

I respond, sure, get in touch.

Almost 24 hours later I reach out again:

Come close to 8oclock, "yo call me damn it"!

Response is: I'm busy will call tomorrow around 10:30.

Sorry princess, I reached out one too many times. You are not working under me. The encouraging note is I have also been working with the generation under the millennials and the seem to show a lot of promise.
    Is your name Maggie?