Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Practice

Summer Practice

I'm pretty new to the sport and was curious about how to get in practice during the warmer months. Do you just travel to where there's snow? I don't have the money to always travel but can make a few trips within the U.S. a year. Sorry for the rookie question but this part of the forum seemed the best place for it.

For general fitness, biking and hiking are good ways to keep the legs in shape. MTB also has the same spirit, and requires a similar mindset, to skiing IMO, and is a great way to stay out in the mountains and woods during the summer.

For skills like carving, we used to do dryland inline skating drills, back in my racing days. Skating down a low-traffic, steep, and freshly paved road actually feels a lot like ripping fresh groomers. I believe there are also some trampoline workouts you can do, as well as balance boards.

Leg press and ride a bike is my summer

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Furious masturbation
    Good for both aerobic activity and arm strength

If you've never played it before, soccer helps you learn how to use your feet independently, which is a necessary, though far from sufficient, condition for being good at skiing.

General strength training for your core and legs always helps.

Assuming we're talking about lift-served and not touring.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Furious masturbation
    Good for both aerobic activity and arm strength
    Does it help with pole plants?

Two words: Skier's Edge.
    I'm on mine constantly in the summer.

^^^ lol. You are a hoot!

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Summer Practice

Lol. Not bad, troll. Wondering if you are someone else, just using an alias

Live in WA or CO. There is no off season
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Leg blasters. Look em up.
    I'm of the opinion that there's no meaningful way to practice technique besides skiing. Just keep the legs and lungs in shape in the summer. For me there are basically two activities--skiing and getting in shape for skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    While dropping acid?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Does it help with pole plants?
    It has for me. Works best if your dick is as at least as thick as your pole grip.

In addition, Fucking is good for core strength, and can be aerobic if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    Your a dentist and a douche bag

Keep a reasonable aerobic base via cycling, hiking up hill and, maybe, jogging.

Also, do complexes: squats immeditately followed by plyos immediately followed by a sprint.

Example:

1 set of five weighted (80%) of max weight squats
    1 set of five plyos--jump as high as you can
    1 set of five 10 yard sprint starts

Repeat--maybe five times, for starters.

Start with five of these and go from there.

You can also do the complexes by doing unweighted single leg squats followed by single leg jumps followed by the sprint starts. Single leg work is important because almost everything you do in any sport is predicated on starting, stopping, etc. with a single leg.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Leg blasters. Look em up.
    The last two years I've done a pile of these and my first days on the hill have been easier than ever before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    For me there are basically two activities--skiing and getting in shape for skiing.
    I feel exactly the same way. It kind of sucks because I used to enjoy a myriad of sports but now I just want to train.

Still think soccer 1x-2x/week is great for Zone 3 cardio. And it helps keep your stabilizing muscles working well. Potential for injury is high, though, so I prefer to play in a coed league and don't go in for tackles as hard as I used to.

Edit: one thing that I like about leg blasters is that any weakness in your posterior kinetic chain will be flushed out real quickly. If you're a quad-dominant person, it's likely that you'll feel the leg blasters primarily in your glutes...which is great for overall balance of you kinetic chain. If you're quad dominant and all you do is squat heavy, you'll likely just end up with overdeveloped quads at the expense of hamstring and glute strength. Not the case, IME, with leg blasters and RFESS.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-23-2017 at 09:43 AM.

photos

Squat thrusts

Swim.

I go with the climbing for turns all year approach. I would also add Oregon to the places you can pursue this practice. I find that it takes about 2 or 3 weeks off of the time I need to get back into skiing trim when the real season starts. Off season turning is a bit of an acquired taste (3 hours for 20 minutes of skiing), but if you like climbing, and the snow is close, it is a great excuse to get the flock out of Dodge.

I'm in LA, I just don't really have a lot of cash to travel around. I think leg blasters and building my aerobic base sound like the best bet. Someone was telling me some courses throw down plastic sheets for summer skiing practices but it doesn't seem to me like that would really be comparable. I feel like if you're going to do that, you could do something similar with inline skates on pavement LOL

the only thing thats gona make your skiing better is more skiing but gravity sports will help get in the groove so get out & mtn bike

I credit the weight room with allowing me to become an advanced skier, there will be lots of argument on this but I would go lower weights/higher reps

edit: and I never use free weights I just use the machines ... faster safer
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-24-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know