Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patagonia Descensionist: One do-everything bag?

Anyone get hands one with the new lightweight ski touring bag from Patagucci and have thoughts about it? http://www.patagonia.com/product/des...ers/48175.html

Looks like it could serve a lot of purposes: day touring, short hut tours, Haute Route/supported hut tours, longer alpine days. Only adds a few ounces over the regular 40L acensionist (1lb 15oz vs 2lbs 1.5oz), and gains an avy tools pocket, a side-entry zip to the ski carry loop, a hip-belt pocket and a way to cinch down the lid for smaller carry days.

At $199 its not cheap, but if I can kill a lot of birds with one stone and get Patagonia warranty for when my ski edges shred the bag that is supposed to carry A-frame.

Photos...

Only after posting this did I realize these were only just released.

So I did the responsible thing when day drinking. Talk bc.com into a slight discount so I can somehow justify this pack in my mind. Initial thoughts coming this weekend hopefully, and more reviews here throughout the season if it seems to be a keeper.

Compared to high performance skiing specific packs from Salomon, Camp, and Dynafit this is far too heavy, top weighted, and cluttered with unnecessary features to be taken seriously. But at least it's twice the price of similar generic packs.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

So I did the responsible thing when day drinking. Talk bc.com into a slight discount so I can somehow justify this pack in my mind. Initial thoughts coming this weekend hopefully, and more reviews here throughout the season if it seems to be a keeper.
    Day drinking purchases are the best. Hadn't seen this pack either. Think I will pick one up as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Compared to high performance skiing specific packs from Salomon, Camp, and Dynafit this is far too heavy, top weighted, and cluttered with unnecessary features to be taken seriously. But at least it's twice the price of similar generic packs.
    Interested if there are seriously generic packs out there built to similar standards, weight and features. I didn't find any in my research.

As for ski specific packs, weight and its distribution I'd be happy to be schooled. I was looking for something I can also use for alpine climbs in the summer, and even fast-and-light overnight backpacks. That this has apparently useful compression straps for cinching up to ~25L for day hiking/scrambles as well is important to me. Are compression straps, side-entry, and the hip pocket unnecessary features? Or the dedicated avy tool pocket? Those are features I personally like, so I take them seriously. If you don't like those, cool. They hardly seem gimmicky to me.

I understand for people who live and breath ski/hiking/climbing a whole quiver of packs makes since. For me a weekend warrior, not as much.

Just picking one at random -- Camp. This looks like their comparable pack (40L, ski-mo and alpinism): http://www.camp-usa.com/products/packs/m4/ . It doesn't look to my eyes to have lower weight distribution and its published weight is higher that the patagucci. Or more ski-mo focused: http://www.camp-usa.com/products/packs/x3-backdoor/ is published 250g lighter, but also 10L less potential carry.

Not saying I'm not wrong, but that at least my naive research didn't pick up much at this weight, volume, build quality, and reliable company.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 08-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Or Salomon -- their 35L ski touring pack: http://www.salomon.com/us/product/s-...rticle=382312# with tons of features and 1300g? Or the more mountaining 30L http://www.salomon.com/us/product/x-...article=392933 which is 1000g and has just as many features as the Patagucci if not more.

Not trying to be an ass. Just not seeing these lighter, simpler, compressible 40L ski / alpine packs for significantly less in my research. (For reference, the Patagucci was $174 with 2 day shipping.)

HAHA thats hilarious. How much of a discount did you get out of curiosity? If i buy another ski back i'll be in big trouble though.... bought the Arcteryx Khamski last year.

Looks good in general, and some of the straps are removable. I'm not sure I like the upper velcro attachment for the axe. A few of the straps are removable which is a good thing.

The A-frame carry straps on the 'gucci look as if they might be a bit unstable, and the thin bottom loops look as if they'd contribute to this instability/fragility. I guess you'll report back on this (A-frame carry stability). I don't see a stretchy helmet carry mesh thingie - not exactly a show-stopper, but nice to have.

Overall, I don't have buyers remorse for owning my Mamut, however. Then again, I'm a Mamut fanboy. Their climbing ropes are some of the nicest handling in my experience.

I don't know if the current version of my Nirvana Pro 35 is identical to mine (https://us.mammut.com/p/2510-02282-5611/nirvana-pro/), but I see that the model is still in the catalog - looking unchanged from what I can tell. They make a slightly bigger pack called the Spindrift (42L).

Packs seem to end up the same as skis ... quiver items.

Edit: I caught auvgeek's post on the other active thread on packs. The Alpine Threadworks stuff looks like the real deal: http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/products/index.html

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-23-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Camp. This looks like their comparable pack (40L, ski-mo and alpinism): http://www.camp-usa.com/products/packs/m4/ . It doesn't look to my eyes to have lower weight distribution and its published weight is higher that the patagucci.
    Looks like a beefier (potentially better) suspension but no ski-specific features.

I don't think you're wrong: it's hard to find a 40L "generic" pack with any ski-specific features (edit: not that they're strictly necessary, IMO, as long as you can rig a secure A-frame).

Regarding price/weight: the Salomon and the Camp 40L packs are $160 - $170. I didn't see that Dynafit even makes a 40L pack. The ArcTeryx ~40L ski pack is $260 and weighs 55 oz. So I'm curious what 40L, sub-2#, $100, skiing-specific packs kootenay was referencing. Easy to find packs in the 28-32 L range, but much harder ~40L, which is the absolute minimum for self-supported overnights, esp with glacier gear.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-22-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yeah, ski-specific features aren't necessary if you have some solid side compression straps that are clips, correctly located and reasonably burly.

Personally I like have diagonal option for approaches where I have a relatively short boot pack -- simpler and quicker.

Plus if a bag is advertised as a ski bag w/ A-frame carry, and my ski edges trash the bag immediately, that would seem to fall under reasonable warranty. If I carry some skis A-frame a few times in a "generic" non ski bag it'd be pretty easy for a manufacturer to tell me to sod-off.

40L is unnecessary for day touring. Hoping this is the bag for the couple of training 2-day hut trips this year in CO. And then the Urner Haute Route or similar next year.

How'd you talk bc into a slight discount ?
    I haven't had much success with that in the past
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    How'd you talk bc into a slight discount ?
    I haven't had much success with that in the past
    Don't know. I mentioned some code that popped up via wikibuy that was 15% off recently but wasn't working anymore. Asked them if there was anything I was missing and he hooked me up.

Don't know. I mentioned some code that popped up via wikibuy that was 15% off recently but wasn't working anymore. Asked them if there was anything I was missing and he hooked me up.
    Gotcha. Last year I contacted their customer support asking about kingpin vs the heavily discounted beast and after chatting a while, they mentioned a kingpin discount given the price differential. Ended up buying kingpin from other retailer, but that showed that they have room to haggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

what size shovel can get in the avy pocket?
    voile telepro?

Yeah, ski-specific features aren't necessary if you have some solid side compression straps that are clips, correctly located and reasonably burly.

Personally I like have diagonal option for approaches where I have a relatively short boot pack -- simpler and quicker.

Plus if a bag is advertised as a ski bag w/ A-frame carry, and my ski edges trash the bag immediately, that would seem to fall under reasonable warranty. If I carry some skis A-frame a few times in a "generic" non ski bag it'd be pretty easy for a manufacturer to tell me to sod-off.

40L is unnecessary for day touring. Hoping this is the bag for the couple of training 2-day hut trips this year in CO. And then the Urner Haute Route or similar next year.
    Not having a separate avy tool compartment with quick access is a show stopper for me, and that implies a ski-specific pack.

I think you're specifically referring to ski carry, but I wanted to make that point.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    voile telepro?
    I'll let you know. I have a big shovel from BCA and a littler one from BD.

Got the bag today. Seems solid. Shitty bathroom scale says 2.2# for the L/XL. EDIT: Beer brewing scale says ~1050g.

Only thing I'm not immediately sold on is the upper attachment for diagonal carry which as far as i can tell is a Voile strap to the very thin daisy chain. I'm sure it's fine as they are sewn threw a few layers of fabric, just looks tiny.

More photos / measurements to come. Let me know if you've got particular questions.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 08-25-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Big enough to stash a dead hooker? Parted out ok, whole preferred. Asking for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Big enough to stash a dead hooker? Parted out ok, whole preferred. Asking for a friend
    If you starve her and break all her bones -- I think so. The spindrift collar lets you overpack the bag pretty substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    voile telepro?
    The Voile telepro would be a tight fit. The blade isn't the problem -- my similar sized BCA fits fine. It's the handle which would be right on the edge. My 21" handle can only fit on the diagonal which sort of screws up the packing.

My BD Deploy 7 (18.5" long) shovel fits well. Probe is close the the maximum length at 19.5". So the 20" handle of the Voile would probably be able to squeeze but it'd be tight.

Otherwise, the avy pocket fits shovel, 280cm probe and 115mm skins with plenty of room to spare. Nice to keep everything wet separate.

This photo also shows how the external daisy chains are stitched on at the seam and through plenty of thickish material.

Holy shit, must be August. How many threads you going to start to have long discussions on the engineering, practicality and theoretical use of ski accessories? JFC! Good thing your bc gear is all packed up in August. Kid is ready

Let's see -- I started one thread. About a pack that may be of interest to others. And which will see its first action tonight / tomorrow on an overnight hike/scramble.

And then answered a question of another mag with photos to give a sense of space. So blow me.

JFC -- Tech talk on a fucking tech talk forum.

I appreciated the feedback -- not sure what tenB is on about

Seems like this innocuous thread has ruffled some feathers. Must be summer.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Got out on a class 3/4 scramble -- 13mi, 3500' vert yesterday. Pack was overkill for the outing, but figured why not. No comments on how it carries weight yet since I just had water, food, a layer, first aid, and a helmet.

Couple thoughts:
    - Bag packs down really small and close to your body. You can re-route the lid closure strap to sort of pack it inside the main bag. This is nice for size but makes the hood lid pocket inaccessible. Avy gear pocket and main pocket both still quickly accessible with the zips.
    - Fabric seems pretty durable on the back at least. Couple times I dragged it going up chimneys or going face-first down some class 3. No worse for wear.
    - No ventilation on straps / back. Duh. This is for snow sports.