Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Got out on a class 3/4 scramble -- 13mi, 3500' vert yesterday.
    Sounds like a fun day out.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Seems appealing, but i went with the Exped Serac 45 for similar use. Much lighter and has all the features I want (diagonal carry, sidezip, waterproof top), without the ones i don't (side carry straps, extra safety pocket). Not many other packs out there like it in my opinion.

How are you liking this bag now that winter is here? This bag has had my eye since it seems like a good 4-season bag for both backcountry and climbing. Does it shrink down well for side country or short days?

I'm really liking this pack so far. About 20 days between 3-8k vert, and one overnight with the pack a bit overloaded. I'm most often running the main strap out of the top port, which seems to offer the most versatility -- I can run the strap over the brain (anchoring to the top-front loop) when carrying a near-maximum load, or pack the brain inside and compress everything down nicely (strap anchored to bottom loop) for smaller volume. When overloaded, I had the strap in its standard configuration (bottom-to-top), and ran it through my helmet vent for a nice outside carry. Side access is sweet for quickly swapping outer layers, gloves, or grabbing a water bottle. Wet pocket is big enough for a voile shovel, 280cm probe, and skins; dynafit tongues are the only thing I can't pack in there nicely. I've carried skis a-frame and diagonal -- both are quick and stable.

Cons? Obviously a simple pack design, so you don't get any small stash pockets. But I've started storing a few dry items (e.g., cash) in a ziplock tucked into the backpanel sleeve. Durability is also starting to become a question... I broke the belt buckle on my third(?) day. Was about -15f and I cranked it hard... but didn't expect this type of failure. Replaced with a more substantial buckle that's been great. I also tore open the thin mesh on the hip pocket while skiing through an alder patch...

Similar experience to mr. utah.

Probably have ~20 days as well. Combo of ski touring and 2 3-day backpacks.

Things I like:
    - Side zip access is super handy.
    - Compresses way down for sidecountry / simple bc outings / scrambling adventures. Especially if you re-route the main strap as Johnny suggests.
    - Skis well: weight sits close and doesn't shift around much while skiing.
    - Climbs well
    - Aframe and diagonal carry both work well. The daisy chains while small, are versatile and thus far seem durable. Don't forget your voile strap though to attach skis diagonally.

Things that aren't perfect:
    - Due to design of how the lid straps down, not much volume in there. You certainly need to loosen main strap prior to getting things in/out easily. Still functional though.
    - Doesn't carry heavy loads super well. Sort of a "duh" -- not much to a 40L pack that only weights 1050g. If it fits and you don't mind it's fine. But it isn't going to carry as nicely as something with a beefier suspension. Not an issue for day touring, but noticeable when overpacked for multi-day adventures.
    - Wish the wet / avy tools pocket was a hair bigger. I can fit my shovel, probe and skins in, but it is tight esp if I've already got the rest of the bag compressed. A little extra fabric so the pocket was ~1" deeper would be ideal IMHO, esp as people are wisely carrying bigger shovels these days.