Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eclipse Photos

Here's another... during totality I just shot bracketed images.. this is a composite of 3 to capture as much of the corona as I could while minimizing blown highlights.. the star Regulus is below left

'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

another

'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    Here's another... during totality I just shot bracketed images.. this is a composite of 3 to capture as much of the corona as I could while minimizing blown highlights.. the star Regulus is below left

I'm curious on what technique you used. I have 7 exposures that I can't seem to get just quite right. Care to share your secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I'm curious on what technique you used. I have 7 exposures that I can't seem to get just quite right. Care to share your secrets?
    the one thing i do is merge the least 2 exposed.. then merge that image to the next least exposed.. then merge that image with the next etc... but sometimes it is too much.. so that is why I went with just the three... I might try to merge a 4th with this shot but It's been hectic after getting back from Madras, work and prepping for an 8 dayer in the Pickets this coming week... fyi I use Photomatrix Pro.. I find it not perfect but it gives quite a few options
    'To quote my bro

believe...

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna work on mine and post it up if it's any good.

Depending on what software you have there's tons of ways to do what BaNosser is describing. HDR merge from Photoshop or Lightroom is fairly automated if you have either of those and don't want to shell out the $ for Photomatix.

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post

What was your camera/lens/ISO/exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    What was your camera/lens/ISO/exposure?
    Olympus EM1ii with 300F4 on tripod with remote shutter release.. iso 200.. F5.6.. RAW saved as TIF
    image 1: 1/40 +0.3
    image 2: 1/160 -1.7
    image 3: 1/2 +4.3

these are from a set of 7 images.. I will eventually try to fuse them in Photoshop but I need more time than I currently have to do it..
    'To quote my bro

believe...

I just snapped a picture with my phone not expecting anything and didnt even look close.
    Later i realized I got this neat little reflection off of something.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170821_102956.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	211081

This one is 4 images with a bit of moon detail from the light reflecting off earth
    'To quote my bro

believe...

I did a 6 image composite using the Pellett Method described here: http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/e_comp.html

Ends up with a lot of noise, but the detail in the corona is cool.

Nice, man!

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I did a 6 image composite using the Pellett Method described here: http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/e_comp.html

Ends up with a lot of noise, but the detail in the corona is cool.

Reminds me of Schlieren pictures
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlieren_photography

Cool to see the pictures you all took. I didn't even bother to try taking anything, just hung out and experienced it. It was cool to watch the sunset/rise on the steam coming from the nuclear plant down the river, but I didn't even take a picture of that.

This was what 80% totality looked like where I live.