Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Props to...rad customer service / warranty experiences

Excuse me if I've missed it, but I think it'd be useful to have an ongoing thread to give shout outs to companies we've had exceptional customer service or warranty-help from. Every sort of gear.

I used to only ever buy bottom barrel shit from STP because that's what I could afford. Recently I've learned how much better top-notch designed gear is, and how awesome it feels when a company stands behind that gear. Reports from mags are always worth more to me than any website copy or other, lesser, random internet bitching.

Clothing
    FreeRide Systems: Maggot owned and operated. Rad gear. Insanely helpful CS. They even opt not to make products that many of us would buy (hardshell pants) because they can't currently have it both make fiscal sense and provide the sort of warranty/CS they want to.
    Patagonia: The most bomber warranty and CS in the big-gear-company world?
    Trew: Only have one (ongoing) experience but seems very promising, with fresh gear promised this fall after old shit de-lammed.
    Free The Powder: Never had to warranty, but upfront CS has been awesome. Sizing advice, and sending paid return labels with gear makes purchasing less a headache.

Bikes
    Diamondback: Can't believe I'm writing that. Really like the bike I bought from them but have had a few problems with the rear wheel. Sent me a new hub and paid for local shop to rebuild it. Recently asked for some spec info for rim replacement and instead they sent a whole new wheel.

I've had expectation-exceeding experiences with both BD and MHW actually.

I basically got told to sod off by G3, which was disappointing.

Kuat. Face melting customer service.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Alpine Threadworks. Neil (the owner) saw a photo kevino posted on instagram and sent us an email saying the dyneema he used to make our packs was a bad batch. He offered to issue us a full refund for the packs or replace them with tried and trusted 420D dyneema and refund us the difference between the nylon and dyneema fabric.

Pretty well known that Outdoor Research has a infinite, no questions asked warrantee, as well.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Osprey's warranty is top shelf.

Smith, I have had 4 pair of the same shades, the rubber thingies just wear out. Wish they'd just send new ones, but they replace the entire frames and three pairs of lenses every time.

Outdoor Research: It's not something I normally do, but last week I warrantied a $350+ gore-tex jacket with a broken zipper that I bought off of SAC in 2008 for $80. I sent them a photo of the broken zipper and a new jacket arrived within a week. (I also think OR has the best value-to-utility ratio in the biz.)

BD: I've warrantied a tent, and they've helped find a replacement shaft for an older whippet. Good folks.

REI: This one's fairly obvious, right? They've tightened up their return policy, but I've still found them to be great. Great car-camping gear and good-value backpacks, too.

Backcountry.com: Great customer service. Not sure if I've warrantied anything directly through them, but I assume they'd be very good.

Dynafit took really good care of me on a warranty replacement when I blew a zipper out of a pair of their shorts. Shipped me the new ones super fast and made the whole process smooth and easy.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Black Diamond.
    Patagonia.
    REI.

All excellent. Marmot was pretty good too.

My experience with MHW was less-than-stellar. Wanted to replace a tent that had absurd delam issues and the gave me a credit that was much less than the cost of a new tent (because I had to buy from their website at full retail). Ended up ordering sleeping bags for my kids and some random softgoods, and buying a BD tent at a discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Cascade designs. Had a sealine drybag, like 20 years old break a non replaceable strap piece. No receipt. I told them straight up it was old and abused, if they could fix it great...happy to pay.

One week, brand new bag, no cost.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Outdoor Research has always been the best to deal with. Walk into the Seattle store with an issue and walk out with a new product. Agree with AK Bruin on best price/value ratio.

I sent a photo of me voiding my Sol Ti warranty (melting snow) to the folks at Jetboil/Johnson Outdoors. It featured an MSR branded fuel can and the silver-Sharpied "X" of the REI returns department. I then told them an unrelated story about how I had lost the two-piece metal rod in my French press accessory on a climbing trip in Squamish, and asked if I could buy this part. They sent me a new French press accessory for free.

A few days later, I found the metal rod in the bottom of a cardboard 6-pack holder.

Other great CS: BD, Dynafit, CAMP-USA, REI

GoPro: Two years ago I warrantied my gopro with gopro itself (not warranty through a store) and they were super awesome about it.

Arc'teryx: pretty much told me to piss off when I tried to warranty a jacket that had worn completely through on the shoulders because of a backpack.

I posted about this last year, but, I'll repeat. I sent a 26 year old Patagonia jacket back to them last year when the lining disintegrated after a wash, and they gave me, essentially, a new jacket, by way of a 350 dollar credit. I was stunned. It wasn't the first time they bent over backwards for me, btw. Customer for life.

Yakima went above and beyond for me. My first rack from them had unplated steel hardware, which started rusting away in no time. Also the silver paint job was thin, and started rusting even here in CA. One email with photos of the problems, then me emailing proof that the old rack was destroyed, and a brand-new rack with plated hardware and powder coating arrived on my doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Free The Powder: Never had to warranty, but upfront CS has been awesome. Sizing advice, and sending paid return labels with gear makes purchasing less a headache.
    They sent me an email (because I purchased a particular model) saying they would replace for free (even though I experienced no issues) due to a few issues w/velcro attachments. No exp. on replacement. A++

Also, Marmot (even though their styling is ho-hum). Sent in a 10 year old gore tex shell w/seam tape delam and they have me a full credit to buy whatever I wanted.

My best Patagonia story: I've got an old but bomber pair of ski pants - Primo, I think - that I love. Tough material, full zip, good fit, etc. but the suspenders were all stretched out. I got in an online chat with Patagonia and asked them if maybe they had a pair of replacement suspenders lying around that I could buy. They had to get some tag numbers and such, and searched, but they couldn't find any. So they had the trim department look up the specs in their archives, make a pair up, and they sent the fuckers to me, no charge.

That rocked.

20+ year old Granite Gear compression sack started to fray on a couple seams. I emailed to see what similar product they had to replace it, as their sizing had changed, and they sent me a brand new one for free. Impressive.

The good:
    Thule
    Patagonia
    ArcTeryx
    Gore Tex
    Outdoor Research
    Dynafit
    North Face

The Bad:
    Tyrolia
    Giro
    Crank Brothers

The "Meh":
    Salomon
    Dalbello
    Volkl
    Keen

Praxis Skis.

The guy wants his skis on snow under skiers who are skiing. I think it really matters to him. Seems eager and willing to do what it takes to get it done. All skiers of all types are treated equally, with no attitude or judgment evident in emails from what I have heard. Deals are great. Pre-sale and post-sale service sets a high bar for competitors/alternate brands in the hand-made ski sector.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Alpine Threadworks.
    Yep. Pretty much what I said for Praxis, but replace "skis" with "backpacks".
    Last edited by neck beard; 08-26-2017 at 01:13 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

We all know Smith rocks but today surprised me. Sent a busted pair of Rx sungalsses back, well out of warranty. Brand new pair showed up on my doorstep. Despite all the changes there they still have the warranty part dialed.

Cabelas - always stand behind their gear, that matters

St Croix Rods. Pataguch has been good. Smith/Suncloud are always on point. BC.com before they sucked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Anything I bought thru MEC in Canada seems to get warrantied reasonable or not, they replaced a delmaed kokotat gortex dry top, 3 pair of OR mitt all questionable

Pretty happy with Arcterxy they have replaced a soft shell pant with a delamed crotch , replaced the shoulder harness on a bora 40 pack, fixed a zipper in a beta shell but at this point after 15+ year that beta shell is completely worn out and I wouldn't try to scam a warranty claim, so if I am fortunate enough to completely wear out a product as opposed to it failing I don't expect warranty
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pattagucci. I sent some of the original guide pants in to get the knees patched and the side pockets sewn back on. I expected a new pair or a credit, but since they don't make this style anymore, they fixed them and sent them back for free. I'm happy.