Do fish and bugs think an eclipse is dusk and dawn?

Curious if the eclipse turns into a second evening/morning with hatches and feeding? Or is it too close to the morning hatch and the bugs don't have it in them to do it so soon?

If anyone was out fishing during the day post up your observations.

I know a handful of folks out on the water today but have not heard reports.
    It got pretty chilly here in the Teton area but not sure it got cold enough or stayed dark long enough for water temps to move.
    It'll be interesting to hear reports tho.

Think insects and fish don't have any idea about the notion of early and late..ie morning/evening. All they go by is the availability of food and water temp for emergence and perhaps lessened sunlight(as protection).....y/n?
    During mid-summer on ponds and the water temp is right...caddis will time their emergence when sunshine dims due to large clouds passing over...and then will hunker down when the bright sun reappears...so some of it seems like basic defensive behavior of emergence.

$.01

Thanks for the two cents. I wouldn't think the duration was long enough to effect water temps like it did air temps.

Sounds like it was dim enough in a lot of places to mimic cloud cover and cause emergence. Shoulda went out myself. Slacking.

Whatever bugs made tons of noise in Tennessee went completely quiet as totality began. Sounded like the sunrise chorus when it came back.

Other animals: the hummingbirds were freaking out flying spiral paths until they found the feeder was still in place. Then they flew off. The cat didn't even turn to face the sun.

Yeah, what steved said. Fish and bugs don't "think" these things through. The react to stimuli per their hardwired instincts and/or conditioned responses. At an est. 30 seconds into totality I watched a bat fly near us, the only time in my nearly 61 years I've seen a bat that time of day.

It's cute how you guys think you know what fish are thinking and that this is all predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    It's cute how you guys think you know what fish are thinking and that this is all predictable.
    Heh. That humans are incapable of predicting the actions of fish is why they call it "fishing," not "catching."

I figured it would be understood that my term 'thinking' was simply their reactions.

It's not. From here on out, please try to dumb things down a little for me.

Observation: invaluable and easy.

Prediction: difficult and faulty.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I know a handful of folks out on the water today but have not heard reports.
    It got pretty chilly here in the Teton area but not sure it got cold enough or stayed dark long enough for water temps to move.
    It'll be interesting to hear reports tho.
    Friends of mine who floated Wilson to South Park said it was tough fishing on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Whatever bugs made tons of noise in Tennessee went completely quiet as totality began. Sounded like the sunrise chorus when it came back.

Other animals: the hummingbirds were freaking out flying spiral paths until they found the feeder was still in place. Then they flew off. The cat didn't even turn to face the sun.
    That would be Cicadas I imagine. Cicadas stop, crickets start.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    That would be Cicadas I imagine. Cicadas stop, crickets start.
    Could be. I've been there for less than 36 hours so I don't know which are which. I was sitting on the dock drinking a beer near sunset and thought I was seeing little flickers reflecting from somewhere. Nope. Fireflies. Never seen them before