Decent travel pack recco

Any suggestions on a non-tech pack that can be used for 2-3 days of light clothing, airline/overhead friendly, no hip straps and not overly hipster/too many zippers/20plus pockets (aka Timbuk2)? Seems like maybe a 25L capacity or close. Seems everyone is making packs these days.

there was just a thread to answer this very question last week

you can usually fit a 40L in one of those carry-on-bag size checkers in the ticket area
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I found the specs for packs that fit carry on, just looking for pack options.

I looked at an Osprey Porter 30, not a bad option.

Bucks Products Knappsack

https://www.buckproducts.com/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Madden Equipment is back making some less-tech more-urban bags. I have one from way back, and if their quality is similar they are absolutely bomber. Made in Colorado.

Daylite looks to fit the bill. Waist belt is removable. https://maddenequipment.com/product/...-midnightblue/ . Is a bit pricey at $230.

I've had a Buck's Knappsack daily for about 4 years now. It's well-constructed and bombproof (1000D cordura will last forever), but I wouldn't necessarily buy it again. No suspension, no sternum strap, carries weird with stuff on the bottom and nothing in the top, etc. Not a bad pack, just pricey for what it is. I keep a Tom Bihn protective case for my MacBook pro right against the back panel and that seems to provide some structure. Honestly, it's kind of the perfect fit for the pack, and my MBPr looks nearly new after 4.5 years. If you have a MBP, it's a good combination. But I'm sure there are speciality laptops bags that work just as well, too.

I sometimes take my wife's Patagonia Black Hole 25L pack to the gym with change of clothes, lifting/climbing shoes, etc, and it carries much better with that kind of stuff because it has a pretty boxy footprint. I usually like simple packs, but the external pockets are nice: keys, sunglasses, wallet in the top and tablet (to watch the stairmaster or plane) in the slim front pocket. Waterbottle on the side is nice if you're worried about condensation getting on anything inside the pack, but it obviously makes it carry weird. I like it so much I'm thinking about picking one up myself for gym & traveling, especially now that I have a smaller 14" laptop.

If I were looking for a real travel solution (i.e., not a small pack in addition to a roller bag), I would ask Neil to make me a 35-40L Wolverine duffel with a sternum strap: http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/pro...wolverine.html
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-22-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have the old version of this: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/classic-backpack

Purchased in 1995 or 1996. Still looks pretty new. Best bag I've ever owned, easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.