Thread: SawStop

SawStop

Anyone using these and having problems? We have one in the Truckee Roundhouse and have had 4 or 5 activations in 9 months. One was a finger (no injury), the others were not flesh contact or forbidden materials. One happened to a lifelong shop teacher. Guard was in place. SawStop analyzed one of the activations and said the riving knife was too close to the blade--we haven't figured out how that could have been. Are this many activations par for the course?--if they are I suspect the person whose finger was saved would say it was worth it. The saw is used by a lot of people with a very wide range of woodworking experience--could be part of the problem. Anybody with any thoughts or suggestions?

Nope but wish I had one before I cut part of my left thumb off.

Don't work with SawStops, but I work with capacitive sensors in another context. Anything in the materials being cut that could trigger the brake (moisture in very green wood, conductive materials like nails)?

Another thing to check might be the blades themselves. Are all of the false positive blades from the same manufacturing batch?

What error code did it return in the false positive instances outside of the riving-knife-too-close instance?

Any pattern in the users who trigger false positives?

The brake adjustment spacing needs to be rechecked/reset every time the blade is switched or it can trigger the brake early. This is a safety feature but can get annoying if people don't know how to adjust everything.