Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NPR

NPR

I listen, presently, to This American Life...the weekly NPR radio show by Ira Glass...tonight giving a poetic requiem to one of my favorite essayists -David Rycoff, a true genius of the pen. I listen to that; I listen to the NEW Prairie Home Companion, thankfully sans Keillor and his ear-deadening gospel music; I listen to CarTalk and All Things Considered; I listen to all these things and more, and ask myself, whether nighttime or day, do we need anything more than NPR? Sometimes I hasten to think not. It seems to cover all needs...from science to lucid daily dialog, to nightly entertainment. It would be hard to imagine a better avenue of thought and enquiry than NPR.

It, even in these classless times, remains a class act. Thank ypu NPR..for being there.

Oh...and don't forget to donate to your local NPR station...it is needed more than ever.

Hell yeah. Vive la NPR!

I listen to KUER and KPCW. I think NPR's default "opinions differ!" reporting position has, at times, been overwhelmed when trying to deal with far-right politicians who don't care about truth. But I think they've been doing a bit better lately.

Car Talk and Wait Wait have been the soundtrack to go along with my coffee on the way to the trailhead for many years. Radio West and Science Friday are both well-done shows, too.

FYI: Car talk is done. I believe reruns are now at discretion of local programming.

We donate monthly to IPR. I listen all day. Terry Gross has taught me so many things I never knew I wanted to know. On Point is fantastic. Undercurrents for music expansion overnight. Local IPR has great programing every day from 10 am till 1.

If you like it. Donate.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    FYI: Car talk is done. I believe reruns are now at discretion of local programming.
    Thank god. One of my favorite shows of all time but I can't bring myself to listen to the reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Thank god. One of my favorite shows of all time but I can't bring myself to listen to the reruns.

I love it and it'll break my heart a little when the reruns disappear.

The only redeeming thing about Prarie Home Companion was once, in a blue moon, Keillor would have a mildly amusing Wo-be-gone segment. But even that was dependent on the amount of weed and whiskey one imbibed in the shed in the backyard.

Theile is an unlikable mess. Kind of like the guy at a BBQ that is so nice you want to punch him in the face.

On Point from a few months back. Tom Ashbrook is the man.

The only decent news remaining.

BBC World Service
    PBS NewsHour
    Democracy Now
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

We need investigative journalism--NPR and PBS don't really do that. I just got a NY Times subscription for the first time, and I almost never read it.

Keilor is gone. Car Talk reruns are stopping soon. The news announcers seem to have a bias with the adjectives that they use. Shay Stevens sounds sexy. And that Jim Haaaauuwk signoff cracks me up. I use the NPR One app and lovin all the different podcasts. Planet Money, What Trump Can Teach Us About The Constitution, Twenty Thousand, Hidden Brain, etc. Lots of interesting and thought provoking stuff. I'd pay a tax for it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We need investigative journalism--NPR and PBS don't really do that. I just got a NY Times subscription for the first time, and I almost never read it.
    PBS and NPR and BBC do investigative journalism along with the fluff. Also check out The Guardian online. LA Times, NY Times, Washington Post are go to sources for me.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    PBS and NPR and BBC do investigative journalism along with the fluff. Also check out The Guardian online. LA Times, NY Times, Washington Post are go to sources for me.
    when's the last time NPR or PBS broke a controversial story using inside sources? they can't do controversial political stories--other than reporting what other news organizations dig up--or they'll lose their funding. The investigative pieces they do are based on publicly available sources on generally noncontroversial topics. For example PBS did a piece the other night on the US' high maternal mortality. Who could be not be against maternal mortality? (Hmmm, maybe I spoke too soon. After all, who could not be against Nazis?) PBS and NPR are my go-to news sources and we donate to both but they would have little to report without the failing, fake news papers you mention. So in answer to the OP--yes you do need more than NPR.

Everybody knows that for the best, most comprehensive investigative news, there is only ONE source: The National Enquirer!! Weekly World News is, of course, a very close second!

Wait Wait Don't tell me is hilarious. I once went to this deal where they were simulcasting the filming of the show to a bunch of theaters across the U.S. If they do that again, I highly recommend going.

Car talk was still on here on the Denver and the Ft. C (Greely?) station like just last weekend but, yeah, all reruns or 'archive' since Tom passed away. Hilarious show.

I can't do Prairie Home Companion. I must be missing something. Every time I've tuned in, its sounded like one long boring joke with no punch line. It's just "OK, story over. Now for some of the whoever sisters!"
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

NPR is great. Ira Glass is magic.
    CBC rocks too of course.

Long live public radio!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Keillor was the only NPR personality who I couldn't stand listening to. I'm a Radiolab fan in addition to all the good stuff listed above. I still miss "The Connection. " Christopher Lydon is a pompous for sure, but that show was darn good. Used to be back to back with Fresh Air.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Keillor was the only NPR personality who I couldn't stand listening to. I'm a Radiolab fan in addition to all the good stuff listed above. I still miss "The Connection. " Christopher Lydon is a pompous for sure, but that show was darn good. Used to be back to back with Fresh Air.
    I didn't mind Keillor...he's a good storyteller. It's just his penchant for hokey gospel music got old fast. I loved his "Cowboys" skit. I'm glad Chris has kept the Rhubarb pie commercials...as there is no better pie than Rhubarb pie, as far as I'm concerned!

I enjoyed the one 'live' Prairie Home Companion with Keillor that I went to a lot. I wish I could have gone to more when they toured but it never seemed to line up with my schedule. On air I guess I could take it or leave it depending on my mood.

I saw Chris Thile perform with the Punch Brothers this summer at Blue Ox Music Festival in Eau Claire, WI. Very talented but they came out on a hot day with the wrong vibe at 1 pm with full sun and they didn't do it for me that time. Maybe it was the suits and the glasses of whiskey they were sipping when I was a beer and t-shirt mood. I had to seek shade and watch from the hammock. It might have been my lingering hangover from Greensky closing out and killing it the night before or Billy Strings who crushed it right before they played. Listening to them though they have some great poetic music that does thump. I honestly haven't listened to PHC for a while. I am more of a work week listener.

We have NPR going all day at work. Believe me, I listen with ear critical to the Leftward lean. It is there but they often surprise me and often offer conservative view point.

Democracy Now is over the top. I love it when Amy Goodman interviews a person as she fishes for the answers she wants to hear to fit her narrative. The Narrative.

Then she'll get a conservative answer and it is like her brain cannot compute and she just changes the subject. Classic

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    We have NPR going all day at work. Believe me, I listen with ear critical to the Leftward lean. It is there but they often surprise me and often offer conservative view point.

Democracy Now is over the top. I love it when Amy Goodman interviews a person as she fishes for the answers she wants to hear to fit her narrative. The Narrative.

Then she'll get a conservative answer and it is like her brain cannot compute and she just changes the subject. Classic
    Amy Goodman makes no pretense of being fair and balanced. Is she on NPR in your neck of the woods? Around here she's on the aging hippie community radio station. Lefty that I am I don't usually listen to MSNBC, Democracy Now (although I have a T shirt), other preaching to the choir. Except for the comedy shows.

I've been listening to Drugs , sex and money with Anna Sale and it's pretty entertaining. I don't think it's syndicated nationally but it's part of WNYC. Good podcasts to load up for long drives.

Check out the "how I built this" podcast. Really great stuff.