Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oct 18-Nov10 road trip to ???

Got my usual fall road trip, but not sure where to go. Solo trip, as skibee is working.

Hoping for sunvalley, but I know it CAN be winter at that time of year. Like the mellow town vib, and fun longer rides on my single speed. Been going there every few years for 15 years.

Maybe hoodriver/Sandy ridge? Both fun towns/areas.

Park city: might be winter already too? rode it 5+ years ago in the fall, was fun and seems like ites only getting bigger/better

Lake Tahoe: again, might be winter: have fond memories of Mr Toads, but hating the cold?

Moab is too busy and a bit to "bro" for me as a town, but really did love the riding.
    Fav rides: deadhourse on my cross bike, and the slower/techy of Ahab

Hurricane was MUCH quieter, and less peoplie, so preferred the town.
    Fav rides: Guacamole, and northrim/secret trail on Gooseberry

wants/needs
    easy (free?) camping with truck and poptop camper. I dont need services , just need somewhere to park, sleep and make some Bfast
    Not worried about bigger, longer, remote solo rides.
    fun/unique food options/festivals?
    maybe a weekend group ride, so I have someone to talk to?
    self shuttles are hard, and dont mind climbing up, but not too worried about buying a trip to the top as well.
    NOT looking for city time/rides.
    Any ski movies venues that I should get to?

Not too worried about driving aways, as ALL fall trips from banff start with a 1000 mile drive it seems.

Bears Ears National Monument?

If we have a fall like last year PC will be great still. If we get early snow the riding in the SLC valley will still be good to go most likely, although its mostly shorter rides.

Try Panquitch Lake or Duck Creek, UT. Great rides, good fishing and plenty of cheap camping. Easy day trip to Zion or Hurricane. No crowds that time of year, and they could use the tourism since the fire a couple months ago.

25 hours in Frog Hollow?

Downieville? Lots of other riding in that general area too.

Fruita

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    25 hours in Frog Hollow?
    not looking for big events/people, But a fun area to ride a few days after usually.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Downieville? Lots of other riding in that general area too.
    the downivelle trail was OK, but blown out in the fall a few years ago. But checking out the other stuff would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Fruita
    yup, its a fun area. 18road on my SS, and lunch loops on bigger bike

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Powder View Post
    Try Panquitch Lake or Duck Creek, UT. Great rides, good fishing and plenty of cheap camping. Easy day trip to Zion or Hurricane. No crowds that time of year, and they could use the tourism since the fire a couple months ago.
    done thunder a few times, and last year got rained out of doing the stuff on the north side of the road, but would like to go back to check that out.
    would be interesting to loop all of the Paunsaugunt Plateau
    Whats Duck creek?
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/panguitch/

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Bears Ears National Monument?
    humm, link for riding? trailforks is coming up blank

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If we have a fall like last year PC will be great still. If we get early snow the riding in the SLC valley will still be good to go most likely, although its mostly shorter rides.
    good to know. we camped up on gold pass, just on the SLC side. was REALLY nice

If you're camping, why make plans? Unfortunately you won't know the weather until a few days beforehand, so wait to see how it goes and start on the north end of what's riding well (PC, Idaho, etc) and go from there. Hell, you might be able to ride all high-country stuff until the very end of your trip if it's a mild fall like last year.

Depending on where you are, I might be able to meet up with you for a day or two... I'll be in the St. George area for 10 days in late Oct / early November.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If you're camping, why make plans? Unfortunately you won't know the weather until a few days beforehand, so wait to see how it goes and start on the north end of what's riding well (PC, Idaho, etc) and go from there. Hell, you might be able to ride all high-country stuff until the very end of your trip if it's a mild fall like last year.

Depending on where you are, I might be able to meet up with you for a day or two... I'll be in the St. George area for 10 days in late Oct / early November.
    yup, this is more scouting locations, to have more options, based on what the weathers is doing. Just seeing if I"m missing some amazing area that the maggots know about, that I have not heard of?

ya, lets see if a meet up works?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    humm, link for riding? trailforks is coming up blank
    Pan down to Monticello, there are some trails just to the west. The Spring Creek-Robertson Pasture loop on Abajo mountain sounds pretty legit from what I've read. Otherwise, there's not much good singletrack, but lots of great gravel grinding through beautiful landscapes if you're bringing the cross bike. Here's a good read on the area: http://www.takepart.com/feature/2016...ional-monument

Park City could be totally shut down or it could be totally epic. If it's dry, leaves will be down but the crowds will be gone and the ground vegetation will all be down which really opens up sight lines and makes for fast descents. The greater PC environs have great dispersed camping and excellent, much less well known riding. Within a 1-hour radius of PC you have:

-High Star Ranch and Bench Creek trail systems near Kamas
    -Coyote Loop and WOW trails near Heber.
    -American Fork Canyon
    -Strawberry Narrows
    -Diamond Fork
    -Payson Canyon

Those are all similar elevation to PC and also will be weather-dependent. The exception would be Coyote, which is mostly open south facing and generally stays dry later. In the valley, Draper is gradually approaching "destination riding" status. There's gotta be upwards of 50 miles of trail there now, pretty much all of it great with super fun descent options. I would also consider checking out Ogden. Snowbasin, Southern Skyline-Lewis Peak, and Perry Canyon-Ben Lomond-Northern Skyline are all awesome. Perry Canyon-Ben Lomond-Northern Skyline is my favorite ride in northern Utah.

Moab is busy, but there is so much new trail out there that you can avoid real crowds pretty well. Sometimes we never even go into town. Upside to more people is good food options, which you mentioned.

Ever been to Cortez? Great little town and I love Phil's World. PC/Wasatch Front->Moab->Bears Ears->Cortez->Durango->GJ would be a sick loop. If it's been a dry fall you may even be able to hit some high country in Rico and Telluride on the way to GJ.

Good luck, I'm jealous. Would love to meet up and show you around if you stop here. PM me for sure.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-18-2017 at 11:41 AM.

^great info. Thanks for reminding me how much great riding we have here. Now I just need to work less.

thanks Dan, LOTS of good info

In the vein of really widening your options, do you have a minimum distance from home for first rides? I'm planning to explore some more high country trails in North Idaho later this summer and early fall that might be good if you were to start the trip to your southwest. Not the most probable based on timing, but if you're watching the weather they might be worthy of consideration when the time comes. Longish, high singletrack mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    In the vein of really widening your options, do you have a minimum distance from home for first rides? I'm planning to explore some more high country trails in North Idaho later this summer and early fall that might be good if you were to start the trip to your southwest. Not the most probable based on timing, but if you're watching the weather they might be worthy of consideration when the time comes. Longish, high singletrack mainly.
    nope, no real plans, just making highlights on the maps right now.

N Idaho: I rode this 2 falls ago, and was VERY impressed. Did from the south end, about 1/2 way, as an out and back, but would LOVE to do it as a thru ride
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/kettle-crest-north/

Got my usual fall road trip, but not sure where to go. Solo trip, as skibee is working.

Hoping for sunvalley, but I know it CAN be winter at that time of year. Like the mellow town vib, and fun longer rides on my single speed. Been going there every few years for 15 years.

Maybe hoodriver/Sandy ridge? Both fun towns/areas.

Park city: might be winter already too? rode it 5+ years ago in the fall, was fun and seems like ites only getting bigger/better

Lake Tahoe: again, might be winter: have fond memories of Mr Toads, but hating the cold?

Moab is too busy and a bit to "bro" for me as a town, but really did love the riding.
    Fav rides: deadhourse on my cross bike, and the slower/techy of Ahab

Hurricane was MUCH quieter, and less peoplie, so preferred the town.
    Fav rides: Guacamole, and northrim/secret trail on Gooseberry

wants/needs
    easy (free?) camping with truck and poptop camper. I dont need services , just need somewhere to park, sleep and make some Bfast
    Not worried about bigger, longer, remote solo rides.
    fun/unique food options/festivals?
    maybe a weekend group ride, so I have someone to talk to?
    self shuttles are hard, and dont mind climbing up, but not too worried about buying a trip to the top as well.
    NOT looking for city time/rides.
    Any ski movies venues that I should get to?

Not too worried about driving aways, as ALL fall trips from banff start with a 1000 mile drive it seems.
    As always you have a place to stay in Salt Lake. Situation has changed a little since you were here last. But same neighborhood and plenty of room for you. It would be awesome to see you.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Pan down to Monticello, there are some trails just to the west. The Spring Creek-Robertson Pasture loop on Abajo mountain sounds pretty legit from what I've read. Otherwise, there's not much good singletrack, but lots of great gravel grinding through beautiful landscapes if you're bringing the cross bike. Here's a good read on the area: http://www.takepart.com/feature/2016...ional-monument

Park City could be totally shut down or it could be totally epic. If it's dry, leaves will be down but the crowds will be gone and the ground vegetation will all be down which really opens up sight lines and makes for fast descents. The greater PC environs have great dispersed camping and excellent, much less well known riding. Within a 1-hour radius of PC you have:

-High Star Ranch and Bench Creek trail systems near Kamas
    -Coyote Loop and WOW trails near Heber.
    -American Fork Canyon
    -Strawberry Narrows
    -Diamond Fork
    -Payson Canyon

Those are all similar elevation to PC and also will be weather-dependent. The exception would be Coyote, which is mostly open south facing and generally stays dry later. In the valley, Draper is gradually approaching "destination riding" status. There's gotta be upwards of 50 miles of trail there now, pretty much all of it great with super fun descent options. I would also consider checking out Ogden. Snowbasin, Southern Skyline-Lewis Peak, and Perry Canyon-Ben Lomond-Northern Skyline are all awesome. Perry Canyon-Ben Lomond-Northern Skyline is my favorite ride in northern Utah.

Moab is busy, but there is so much new trail out there that you can avoid real crowds pretty well. Sometimes we never even go into town. Upside to more people is good food options, which you mentioned.

Ever been to Cortez? Great little town and I love Phil's World. PC/Wasatch Front->Moab->Bears Ears->Cortez->Durango->GJ would be a sick loop. If it's been a dry fall you may even be able to hit some high country in Rico and Telluride on the way to GJ.

Good luck, I'm jealous. Would love to meet up and show you around if you stop here. PM me for sure.
    Throw Vernal into that loop if you want to, as well. Camping at McCoy Flats is easy and the riding there is worth a poke if you like it relaxed and uncrowded. It's also on your way between PC and GJ.

I'd also be happy to ride with you. It can be helpful to have a tour guide around Park City.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    It can be helpful to have a tour guide around Park City.
    It's a lot easier now in the Trailforks era, but, yeah. At times it can feel like there's an intersection every 100 feet.

I've heard good things about Vernal and need to make it out there one of these days. It's only a 3 hour drive with a fraction of the weekend traffic on 15 or 6.

One more to add to my earlier post for mntlion--If you go to Moab or Hurricane, take the scenic route through the Swell, you'll be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's a lot easier now in the Trailforks era, but, yeah. At times it can feel like there's an intersection every 100 feet.

I've heard good things about Vernal and need to make it out there one of these days. It's only a 3 hour drive with a fraction of the weekend traffic on 15 or 6.

One more to add to my earlier post for mntlion--If you go to Moab or Hurricane, take the scenic route through the Swell, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks guiding around PC would be great. We rode it 5? years ago and went up to the ride, down that, came out at MM13. Turns out MM is "mid mountain" and NOT "milage marker" and that MM13 is NOT 13 miles
    back to the truck. ;( Pats BBq helped with that after.

We rode "the swell" this spring was a surprise highlight

I'd also be happy to ride with you. It can be helpful to have a tour guide around Park City.[/QUOTE]

yup, Have riden Vernal a few times, THe "cowbell" loops where "new" and fun

thanks for the guiding. If the weather holds, I'll message you?

Dan, you'd like Vernal. You can camp right on top of the trail on BLM land and choose your loop. There is a little desert-style tech, but it is mostly pedally. Also: the dinosaur museum in town is great and I hear the quarry in the national monument is fantastic as well. It's a fun, relatively-relaxed trip with little kids.

mntlion, you are welcome to park in my driveway and use the shower and I'm happy to go ride with you if you come this way.

Oct 18-Nov10 road trip to ???

done thunder a few times, and last year got rained out of doing the stuff on the north side of the road, but would like to go back to check that out.
    would be interesting to loop all of the Paunsaugunt Plateau
    Whats Duck creek?
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/panguitch/
    It is south of Panguitch on Hwy 14. On the other side of Cedar Breaks and Brianhead. You head up there from Cedar City rather than Parowan. Duck Creek Village and Navajo Lake are there. Nice hikes overlooking Zion in the distance.

Check out Virgin River Rim trail. Miles of trails along the lava flow. Tons of trout fishing. Below is Aspen Mirror Lake. It is about 1/4 mile down Duck Creek from the campground.

http://www.duckcreekvillage.com/

Sedona

Oregon coast range rides, bring a fat bike and do some beach rides and Oregon Dunes. There are some great rides along the northern CA coast too around Eureka, Arcata and down to Fort Bragg area. From what has been spoken about here it sounded like there are plenty of free and easy places to camp.