Leg leg discrepency

A friend of my adult son started skiing "again" last year after many years away from the sport., She did great but I noticed that she turned much better one way the other. She edged completely different and really forced one leg / ski further down the fall line. When I mentioned this she said she has a significant leg length difference and it made sense watching her. The question, is there a way to adjust for this by adding shims or a plate under one binding? The difference is 1"+ which I doubt could be corrected in total but even correcting half of that would be a big improvement. Anybody ever run in to this and how is it resolved?

The question is who told her there was a leg length difference? It is difficult to measure relative leg length accurately.
    Turning better on one side or the other is as common as dirt, or resort closings when there's still tons of snow.

Well aware that most skiers turn better in one direction than the other. Her issue has been noted by MD's as an undefined type of dystrophy. Her calf and leg muscles are not as developed in the shorter leg to the point that the difference is readily apparent.

what ever the difference is, usually we shim the bindings 1/2 that (LLD = 8cm, shim = 4cm)

when/if you play around, and find the exact right value, and any under boot shims that are needed, then, AND ONLY THEN, play with the boot

Thanks, I was thinking a block or race plate on just the one ski might be a solution. Let's see if she can find a competent boot fitter where she lives.

I have just over an inch in disparity. Quite a few orthopedic ahh... enhancements along with a decades old severed peroneal nerve @ L5/S1 and have a properly hand fitted boot with just under a 1/2" of height modification. A combination of zeppa, orthotic and liner. The real skill was to ensure the same ramp angle in the pair.

I've always been keen to keep all the work in the boot so that I can jump into any pair of skis and know that I start on a level playing field /;~>

I'm not a boot guy but, know my way around a ski boot with respect to being professionally fitted. Many years under the care of a u.s. atomic team boot guru and pedorthic professional by day. A bff with a serious substance abuse problem that's going to kill him and leave his buxom bride heartbroken.

A well heeled boot fitter would be where to take this problem. Quite a few around here i've noticed.

It takes time. I have seven real hours of fitting in my current steed. On the mostly good days, there is no discernible difference from left and right turns. Leave it to the knuckle draggers to sort that imbalance out.

I can wax on about this for at least another 300 words.

Getting into a well fit ski boot is like getting out of a wheelchair for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    I have just over an inch in disparity. Quite a few orthopedic ahh... enhancements along with a decades old severed peroneal nerve @ L5/S1 and have a properly hand fitted boot with just under a 1/2" of height modification. A combination of zeppa, orthotic and liner. The real skill was to ensure the same ramp angle in the pair.

I've always been keen to keep all the work in the boot so that I can jump into any pair of skis and know that I start on a level playing field /;~>

I'm not a boot guy but, know my way around a ski boot with respect to being professionally fitted. Many years under the care of a u.s. atomic team boot guru and pedorthic professional by day. A bff with a serious substance abuse problem that's going to kill him and leave his buxom bride heartbroken.

A well heeled boot fitter would be where to take this problem. Quite a few around here i've noticed.

It takes time. I have seven real hours of fitting in my current steed. On the mostly good days, there is no discernible difference from left and right turns. Leave it to the knuckle draggers to sort that imbalance out.

I can wax on about this for at least another 300 words.

Getting into a well fit ski boot is like getting out of a wheelchair for me.
    Thanks, that is all good information.

Almost hate to say this but in SLC what you are describing would best be done by Earl The Pearl at The Sports Loft. Absolute genius when it comes to boots and the cost reflects their skills. Earl's son Jeremy now runs the shop and my understanding is he is also very good. Unfortunately Kari lives near Milwaukee and only gets one chance a year to ski with us and she is not going to want to spend half a day getting fitted and then make several trips back to the shop to tweek the boots. There is one shop near Milwaukee (she lives in Madison) that does good work. Guess I will stop there and ask some questions.

Dope that I am I put this in the wrong forum, "TECH TALK JONG!"

We will need naked pictures regardless, to determine if its even worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    We will need naked pictures regardless, to determine if its even worth the effort.
    Yes, an evaluation of her worthiness to get advice will need to take place. Post those in the Padded Room.
    If she is willing to do so, free lessons will be offered for the next five years.

any sugarbush people here remember the old ski patroller 'carpy'?
    i remember that he had a fused hip or something and so had different leg lengths and he would ski on 2 different length skis. often 2 completely different skis lol

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Funny you should say that. Kari was at my sons yesterday and they called to discuss what if any ideas I had for fixing this. My son switched to speaker and I told her she had to get butt naked, stand with her back to a full length mirror and hold a yard stick horizontal so the discrepancy would be visible. She did not think it was a good idea. I told her not doing so would result in missing the opportunity to meet many fun and exciting personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Well aware that most skiers turn better in one direction than the other. Her issue has been noted by MD's as an undefined type of dystrophy. Her calf and leg muscles are not as developed in the shorter leg to the point that the difference is readily apparent.
    A congenital limb dystrophy is a different problem. Correcting for the length discrepancy should help, but the lack of normal muscle development is likely the bigger problem. If there is an adaptive ski school near her there may be someone teaching there who could help learn techniques to compensate for the weak leg. I'm certainly no expert but I'm guessing her turns will always be asymmetrical. I assume her doctors have determined there's no spine problem causing the leg problem that could make skiing unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A congenital limb dystrophy is a different problem. Correcting for the length discrepancy should help, but the lack of normal muscle development is likely the bigger problem. If there is an adaptive ski school near her there may be someone teaching there who could help learn techniques to compensate for the weak leg. I'm certainly no expert but I'm guessing her turns will always be asymmetrical. I assume her doctors have determined there's no spine problem causing the leg problem that could make skiing unsafe.
    Snowbird has an adaptive sport center, I will stop by and see if anyone can offer any suggestion re: technique. She has a visible difference in leg muscle mass. She participated in high school sports and was a pretty good soccer player with no ill effects. Speaking to the only good fitter in WI that I know of he said they would add a 1/4" -1/3" plate under the binding and then add another plate under the boot and grind the toe and heel to fit the binding. That seems like a logical way to start and see how much that helps. I like not putting too thick of a plate under the binding creating in a big difference between skis in leverage. She has some good options to start with, lets see how it goes.