Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post
    Ok keep me posted thanks
    Looking like it wouldn't be until after November.

Thanks for all the responses - right now I'm leaning toward a Devinci Troy Carbon GX if I can get a good deal on one.

Would need to decide between a M and L, as I probably fall between sizes.

Karbon Rulzzz
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Thanks for all the responses - right now I'm leaning toward a Devinci Troy Carbon GX if I can get a good deal on one.

Would need to decide between a M and L, as I probably fall between sizes.
    How tall are you? I'm 5' 11" and fall between sizes depending on the brand... and in general I try to go large when I possibly can. Even going slightly shorter with the stem can make a big difference depending on the stock length, so that's something to keep in mind.

Bikes have been getting longer, and a smaller size is easier to stand over and move around under you. Best bet is to go sit on a few and see what works best.

That bike is sturdy and capable. For that reason I'd say go large, make the fork 160 and shorten the stem. Friends have done that. One preferred the seat angle as is(a touch slacker w the 160) and one moved his seat a touch forward

I'm 5'10" 165lb. I heard that the Troy got a big redesign frame wise in 2016 and the frames got a lot bigger, or maybe more "true to size" so I was thinking a medium might be ok for me now on this particular bike.

I'm 5'10"-ish and did a large with a 35mm long stem. I have a 160mm pike on it. Fit is close to perfect for me, I tend to prefer longer bikes though.

So I could get the Troy Carbon GX for $3200 shipped...a bunch of ppl seemed to think that was a pretty good deal. I just wonder - how much cheaper could things get as we get closer to winter, or if new bikes don't go much less.

It's all about the deal, keep chiseling. Everyone loves a chiseler.

So I could get the Troy Carbon GX for $3200 shipped...a bunch of ppl seemed to think that was a pretty good deal. I just wonder - how much cheaper could things get as we get closer to winter, or if new bikes don't go much less.
    Always depends on how much the retailer needs the money, you could wait and ride the price to the bottom or maybe somebody else buys the bike you want
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sizes and color options will start to run out.

If the retailer that has that bike is online and is part of some cashback program (Active Junky, ebates, whatever), watch for Labor Day increased-%-off sales. Then pounce.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Have you checked any local shops? 2018 models are already out so it's possible you could get as good of or a better deal in person.

To be blunt, it sounds like you don't really know enough to be buying a bike you haven't seen/ridden. To your credit, everything on your short list is a good bike and it's not like you're considering buying the completely wrong size. But, one of a few things is going to happen.
    In one scenario, your bike arrives and you realize it is definitely too small / too large. Rather than band-aid it, you have lose some bucks shipping it back, assuming that's an option. Or you decide to band-aid it with some stem/bar/saddle adjustments that cost some money and may or may not yield a bike that handles as designed.
    In another scenario, you get your bike and it just feels crazy different from what you've been riding and you just ride it anyways and it feels weird and you can't quite put your finger on it. Then one day you hop on a bike that actually fits you and you think "Oops, screwed up a bit on the purchase."

Or you get lucky and it all works out good.

OR.. you buy the right size bike and it feels so much different from your current bike that you think you bought the wrong size bike and return it and get the other size bike and it turns out that feels even more wrong.

Go to a shop, or go demo some bikes or hop on some friend's bikes... just do anything that involves sitting on and riding bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Have you checked any local shops? 2018 models are already out so it's possible you could get as good of or a better deal in person.
    Local shop options are pretty limited by me unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    To be blunt, it sounds like you don't really know enough to be buying a bike you haven't seen/ridden. To your credit, everything on your short list is a good bike and it's not like you're considering buying the completely wrong size. But, one of a few things is going to happen.
    In one scenario, your bike arrives and you realize it is definitely too small / too large. Rather than band-aid it, you have lose some bucks shipping it back, assuming that's an option. Or you decide to band-aid it with some stem/bar/saddle adjustments that cost some money and may or may not yield a bike that handles as designed.
    In another scenario, you get your bike and it just feels crazy different from what you've been riding and you just ride it anyways and it feels weird and you can't quite put your finger on it. Then one day you hop on a bike that actually fits you and you think "Oops, screwed up a bit on the purchase."

OR.. you buy the right size bike and it feels so much different from your current bike that you think you bought the wrong size bike and return it and get the other size bike and it turns out that feels even more wrong.

Go to a shop, or go demo some bikes or hop on some friend's bikes... just do anything that involves sitting on and riding bikes.
    Yeh I know this would be the smartest thing to do of course - problem is I have limited access to places in my area that carry these brands, demo them, etc etc....so I've been relying more on gathering as much info as I can and exchanging messages on boards like this. I wish I had more bike shops in my area that carried the brands I've been looking at.

Part of me doesn't want to over-analyze it, as many bikes in this range you can't go wrong with....but at the same time, it's a big purchase, and size/fitment I'd be taking a slight gamble on....

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post

Wow are you saying that I shouldn't just buy a bike from looking at the spec sheet/posting on TGR

next yer gona say that is shouldn't buy ski boots on-line

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Wow are you saying that I shouldn't just buy a bike from looking at the spec sheet/posting on TGR

next yer gona say that is shouldn't buy ski boots on-line
    If you know what you're looking for and can make sense of geo charts (and the shortcomings of geo charts), then sure, buy a bike online.

there is still no way to tell how its gona ride ... if its going to speak to you

the last 2 pair of boots i bought were on line ... i know I got lucky

Nowdays people meet spouses on line why not a bicycle eh?

$3200 shipped for a carbon Troy GX is a pretty decent deal. That's not to say that if you scrounge the internet you couldn't find a better deal, but you definitely risk missing out on your size, and the longer you wait to buy a bike, the longer you're not riding your new bike.

TLDR: Just buy it and go ride. It's a good deal.

Decided to go with the Troy - thanks all for the replies the majority of them were great info. I think it's gonna work out well and I'll be making a major upgrade over my current ride. Will def have to familiarize myself with a whole new set of equipment moving from a hardtail into this - but gotta start somewhe.