Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Subaru’s EyeSight Collision-Avoidance Technology

Took my wife to look at the new Impreza.
    She is sold on the car but not so much on the EyeSight technology.
    Albeit she is no Indy driver she thinks it will make her a lazy driver. I never thought of that way. I worry that's it still too new and perhaps it's just another expensive option that might fail. No telling what it would cost to replace/fix.
    Now with her comment it struck me she might be right.

What's your thoughts or experience with accident avoidance technology?

My FIL has it and loves it. Seems like it works ok. Pretty much manages your fore/aft movement with cruise control. It can even drive for you in stop and go traffic.

No idea about long term reliability but he hasn't mentioned any issues with it over three or so years he's had it

Got a new Scooby a couple of weeks ago. No advanced tech thingies. Just a base model manual transmission. Even still, all the Bluetooth, android auto, distraction gadgets come standard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

what price were you out the door at?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did not know imprezzas were still around. Only see crosstreks here.

We bought an outback w/o fancy gadgets. We drove one that had them. It seemed to work nicely and might be worth it if one typically gets into some fender benders. I could see were one could get lazy in variable cruise control zones. I don;t think it parallel parks, but some car I was looking at recently can do that with its smart tech. I'd use that, just to multi task.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post

I got a Legacy about a year ago for the same price as an Impreza. It's got a better engine is is much more polished from a finishes standpoint. Went in thinking I'd get another Impreza, but their popularity adds a premium to the price.

Walked out the door for a little over 21k I think all in.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post

17,198 for the car. 19,102 after tax, title, reg. Dealerships currently making room for 2018s. Good deals can be had for 2017s.

Earlier this year I was up in the air between a subie with EyeSight and an Audi with the "equivalent". Got the Audi. But I was also mighty impressed with the Subaru.

Once you have that kind of system, it is hard to imagine going back. It is not good enough to let you get too lazy. But wow does it make driving easier. Both city driving in traffic and highway for distances are just way more mellow. Especially if traffic is a bit wonky - adaptive cruise control just kills it.

Plus, it probably saved my life once already. Someone decided to pass at very high speed in a no-passing double yellow line zone with heavy traffic and of course had to dive back in totally insane fashion in to avoid a head on. I hit the brakes as hard and as fast as I could - but the car seemed to react faster than I could have believed - I looked down and saw the warning/notice that automatic emergency braking had been engaged. The thing had beat me to the punch. Night vision system has been pretty good alerting to elk & deer. Although it does not seem to be programed to sound a deer alert when a 1000 buck elk is standing dead center in the middle of the road staring down your car

I have not heard of reliability issues with these systems. And in a few years, I'd imagine it might more than pay for itself in terms of resale.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    I got a Legacy about a year ago for the same price as an Impreza. It's got a better engine is is much more polished from a finishes standpoint. Went in thinking I'd get another Impreza, but their popularity adds a premium to the price.

Walked out the door for a little over 21k I think all in.
    I think my next car will be a Legacy
    Great looking car with the fit and finish that now rivals the competition.
    Hell I would even get an Impreza for how good it looks...hatch or sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Earlier this year I was up in the air between a subie with EyeSight and an Audi with the "equivalent". Got the Audi. But I was also mighty impressed with the Subaru.

Once you have that kind of system, it is hard to imagine going back. It is not good enough to let you get too lazy. But wow does it make driving easier. Both city driving in traffic and highway for distances are just way more mellow. Especially if traffic is a bit wonky - adaptive cruise control just kills it.

Plus, it probably saved my life once already. Someone decided to pass at very high speed in a no-passing double yellow line zone with heavy traffic and of course had to dive back in totally insane fashion in to avoid a head on. I hit the brakes as hard and as fast as I could - but the car seemed to react faster than I could have believed - I looked down and saw the warning/notice that automatic emergency braking had been engaged. The thing had beat me to the punch. Night vision system has been pretty good alerting to elk & deer. Although it does not seem to be programed to sound a deer alert when a 1000 buck elk is standing dead center in the middle of the road staring down your car

I have not heard of reliability issues with these systems. And in a few years, I'd imagine it might more than pay for itself in terms of resale.
    Reading this reminds me of the times I drove the Trans Canada highway thru northern Ontario at night. I was always worried about hitting a Moose.

I didn't think of how it could come in handy in avoiding moose or deer

You have me thinking it's a must have..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    I think my next car will be a Legacy
    Great looking car with the fit and finish that now rivals the competition.
    Hell I would even get an Impreza for how good it looks...hatch or sedan.
    Yeah, plus the Subie AWD which is basically the only reason to pick it over other brands

We have a new touring outback with it and have done a few long distance road trips so far. Short story is the eyesight tech is completely worth it and makes driving easier and safer on highways. Well worth the additional cost.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app

Anybody else with a manual transmission notice the rev hang when you shift into neutral? I bet the engine ECU is doing it for emissions reasons, but it's driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Anybody else with a manual transmission notice the rev hang when you shift into neutral? I bet the engine ECU is doing it for emissions reasons, but it's driving me crazy.

Do you have little thermometer symbol illuminated blue in the bottom left of the instrument cluster after a cold start?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tango uniform View Post
    Do you have little thermometer symbol illuminated blue in the bottom left of the instrument cluster after a cold start?

Yes. But the rev hang persists even after engine warm-up and the little blue thermometer light has gone off. Worst is from 1st to 2nd.

Yes. But the rev hang persists even after engine warm-up and the little blue thermometer light has gone off. Worst is from 1st to 2nd.

Hmmm....I'd post this on a subie forum. It may be programming; it could also need to be reset.

If it's indeed, not normal, it's not good for your O2 sensing, and converter.

It's still under warranty, ya?

I'm thinking it could also be some sort of manual clutch/ shift assistance feature. 1st gear is the hardest to grab if you don't understand the concept of feathering the process.

I love the eyesight on our Outback, and I don't think it makes me lazy.

The adaptive cruise control [edit: and the lane-keep assist] is really the main advantage, IMO. It definitely reduces fatigue on long road trips, and it has avoided more than a few arguments over safe following distance with the wifey.

Other stuff: The lane departure warning is annoying, so I turn it off most of the time, but it's nice to have on when you're really tired—good insurance against falling asleep and drifting out of your lane. The blind spot detect has saved me a few times when changing lanes, and once or twice the obstacle avoidance alarm has given me a few extra feet of stopping distance when I was distracted by whatever (I don't text and drive, but most people get distracted by something occasionally.) Wouldn't have hit anyone, but it helped me be safer. The cross-traffic back-up sensor is pretty clutch if you're parked next to big vans or whatever and can't see very well when you start to back up.

As a robotics engineer, there are things I think Subaru could do better, but there are inherent limitations to a stereo camera setup. Overall, it works reasonably well for pretty cheap. I figure in about 5 years nobody will want a car without some sort of driver assist, so it's worth the cost if you don't plan on driving the car into the ground. There is a very heavy push right now by nearly every major car manufacturer (and a lot of smaller consultants) towards automatic driving systems. For example, about 2 years ago, a collaborator of our lab was lured away from UMich to be co-director (now VP) of Toyota Research Institute's autonomous driving division and was given a budget of 1 billion/year for 5 years.

For those asking about price: we bought a new 2017 Outback a few weeks ago, after our 2016 was considered totaled in a freak hailstorm in west Denver. jesski did a great job negotiating, and total cost was around $27k for a premium w. eyesight and a few other goodies (power lift gate, all-weather pkg, etc). We couldn't find a used one with that stuff (and under 50k miles) for what we paid new.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-17-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

The adaptive cruise control is really the main advantage, IMO. It definitely reduces fatigue on long road trips, and it has avoided more than a few arguments over safe following distance with the wifey.
    That's a great selling point.

17,198 for the car. 19,102 after tax, title, reg. Dealerships currently making room for 2018s. Good deals can be had for 2017s.

that is a super solid price. i bought for my mom recently and had a hard time even finding a base model.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Took my wife to look at the new Impreza.
    She is sold on the car but not so much on the EyeSight technology.
    Albeit she is no Indy driver she thinks it will make her a lazy driver. I never thought of that way. I worry that's it still too new and perhaps it's just another expensive option that might fail. No telling what it would cost to replace/fix.
    Now with her comment it struck me she might be right.

What's your thoughts or experience with accident avoidance technology?
    Does having airbags make you not buckle up? Does having daytime running lights make you not turn the lights on? Does having a security alarm make you leave the doors unlocked? Does having an extra pair of underwear make you shit your pants?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Does having airbags make you not buckle up? Does having daytime running lights make you not turn the lights on? Does having a security alarm make you leave the doors unlocked? Does having an extra pair of underwear make you shit your pants?
    You lost me at underwear.

we have it on my wife's 2014. Maybe it's been improved since then. The adaptive cruise control is too conservative for my taste. If you come up on someone or someone slows in front of you it brakes instead of just backing off on the gas. If someone passes you and then cuts in a little too close it slows down rather than giving the other driver a chance to pull farther ahead. I actually prefer my wife's driving to the car's driving. The eyesight also doesn't work in the snow or driving into a low sun. And pulling into the garage you have to go very very slowly or it slams on the brakes hard when you start getting close to the back wall. Flaws aside, I plan to get it when I replace by 05. Since nobody else is complaining I'm guessing they've worked out some of the bugs since we bought ours.

^^IIRC, the Gen 3 eyesight came out in 2015.

It definitely does the things that annoy you, but maybe not to the extent of the earlier generations. The main thing it does that annoys me is that it has trouble understanding when someone is turning will be out of your lane well before you could hit them. So it brakes excessively for a turning car when there's plenty of room to continue going straight. That can be a little dangerous because the drivers behind you might not understand or expect it. It may be an issue with software—it wants to maintain a set distance regardless of relative velocities—or it may be an issue of the ability of a stereo-camera system to estimate relative velocities. It also can't estimate differences in relative velocities over 35 mph (IIRC), and can sometimes accelerate towards cars stopped at a red light. Overall, while it's fine to use Eyesight around town, I think it's best for the freeway.

For the price, I think it works reasonably well. But also I think you'll see huge advancements in the next 5 years. Many of my colleagues have abandoned their original interest/projects in robotics to work on the open problems in localization/state-estimation, motion planning, etc in automatic driving.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-17-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yes the next 5 years will be interesting to see how some of these different systems will be tweaked, perfected or completely replaced with something better.
    Exciting time for cars