Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I like the lane assist which steers you back in. It's nice on long drives. 27k is a great price. We got the 2017 touring model with thule rack, etc. in december for 33k.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^IIRC, the Gen 3 eyesight came out in 2015.

It definitely does the things that annoy you, but maybe not to the extent of the earlier generations. The main thing it does that annoys me is that it has trouble understanding when someone is turning will be out of your lane well before you could hit them. So it brakes excessively for a turning car when there's plenty of room to continue going straight. That can be a little dangerous because the drivers behind you might not understand or expect it. It may be an issue with software—it wants to maintain a set distance regardless of relative velocities—or it may be an issue of the ability of a stereo-camera system to estimate relative velocities. It also can't estimate differences in relative velocities over 35 mph (IIRC), and can sometimes accelerate towards cars stopped at a red light. Overall, while it's possible to use Eyesight around town, I think it's best for the freeway.

For the price, I think it works reasonably well. But also I think you'll see huge advancements in the next 5 years. Many of my colleagues have abandoned their original interest/projects in robotics to work on the open problems in localization/state-estimation, motion planning, etc in automatic driving.
    I like the Audi system in both contexts. In test drives, I liked the Subaru better in tight traffic.

I agree about the turning thing. Also, the Audi system sometimes thinks a right exit is where the lane is going...so.... The way I tend to describe the whole thing is that driving becomes a funny ongoing collaborative negotiation between driver and car. But still way less tiring than driving yourself. I'd hate to have to go back.

I don't know about the Subaru - but the Audi night vision and warning system has a video game quality about it. If the alert triggers, it does a funny targeting rectangle and sometimes imposes sort of an icon - though usually you can see the IR image clearly. Regarding my prior comments on this - my record in one night is 5 elk and one deer that I'd never have spotted without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I like the lane assist which steers you back in.
    Agreed. I packaged that in with the adaptive cruise in my mind—prolly cuz I always hit both buttons at the same time on the steering wheel. But it's a separate feature, and I really like it. Occasionally, it's annoying if I'm trying to pass a someone (often a semi) who has trouble staying in their lane and I want to be a little on the shoulder—you just have to overpower the little nudge it gives you back to the center of the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    I don't know about the Subaru - but the Audi night vision and warning system has a video game quality about it. If the alert triggers, it does a funny targeting rectangle and sometimes imposes sort of an icon - though usually you can see the IR image clearly. Regarding my prior comments on this - my record in one night is 5 elk and one deer that I'd never have spotted without it.
    To my knowledge (unless I'm using it wrong), the Subie Eyesight doesn't have a night-vision thing. Sounds like a clear win for the Audi.

100% agree with the rest of your sentiments.

Regarding the human-machine interaction: I have a good friend who wrote a thesis on cooperative human-machine interaction in the context of servicing satellites, and I hope we'll see more of it before that type of work on cars. He ended up using machine learning to predict user intent and a low-level controller to do the fine manipulation (the stuff humans are inherently bad at). That type of approach seems like it a good intermediate step before a fully autonomous system. Here's a link if anyone's interested in some preliminary results of that work: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2906858 Full text should be available, and the paper is very light on math so hopefully it's reasonably accessible, for anyone who's interested.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic here. I just get jazzed about talking this type of stuff.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-18-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Great discussion. I saw some studies a while ago that seemed to indicate eyesight greatly reduced crashes and crash severity. Definitely an option I would choose. I did 3 trips out west this year...2500 to 3000 miles each...all in my 02 Outback with 213k. Hard to stay completely on point every second on a 17 hour long haul. Love the idea that eyesight would have my back during a momentary lapse of reason.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Earlier this year I was up in the air between a subie with EyeSight and an Audi with the "equivalent". Got the Audi. But I was also mighty impressed with the Subaru.

Once you have that kind of system, it is hard to imagine going back. It is not good enough to let you get too lazy. But wow does it make driving easier. Both city driving in traffic and highway for distances are just way more mellow. Especially if traffic is a bit wonky - adaptive cruise control just kills it.

Plus, it probably saved my life once already. Someone decided to pass at very high speed in a no-passing double yellow line zone with heavy traffic and of course had to dive back in totally insane fashion in to avoid a head on. I hit the brakes as hard and as fast as I could - but the car seemed to react faster than I could have believed - I looked down and saw the warning/notice that automatic emergency braking had been engaged. The thing had beat me to the punch. Night vision system has been pretty good alerting to elk & deer. Although it does not seem to be programed to sound a deer alert when a 1000 buck elk is standing dead center in the middle of the road staring down your car

I have not heard of reliability issues with these systems. And in a few years, I'd imagine it might more than pay for itself in terms of resale.
    Ah so you did not have proper space from the car in front of you that's why the passer had to brake, and you were unable to react to recognize an evolving dangerous situation. The car had go in emergency braking mode. Do you also need lift bar assist?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Can these systems be turned off if they act up?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Can these systems be turned off if they act up?
    Yeah, you can turn them off. In some cases -- snowy roads, car washes, etc -- they recommend you turn them off so it doesn't mess up the calibration

What about when SkyNet decides that all humans are a threat?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I wish I had it in my Forester. I backed into my son's car leaving the garage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Ah so you did not have proper space from the car in front of you that's why the passer had to brake, and you were unable to react to recognize an evolving dangerous situation. The car had go in emergency braking mode. Do you also need lift bar assist?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
    LOL No lift bar assist needed. At least for a season or two.

This was on 410 where we were in the middle of a line of cars doing about speed limit. Most folks were pretty reasonable. The space in front of me was by the book - set by the adaptive cruise control. A shade more than I'd have left driving manually. Some idiot decided to rocket out and try to pass a few cars at once at rather high speed in a no passing zone. If they had 3 feet on each side between my front bumper and the oncoming car as they came back in at high speed, I'd be surprised. The only reason it was not a disaster was that the oncoming car (presumably driver) and my car hit the brakes creating that modest margin.... The whole thing evolved and ended in a few seconds. Poke all you want - the car recognized the situation and responded faster than I could. Full points. FWIW - it turned out that they were tag teaming with another car full of dunces and we watched both of them do roughly similar passes of several cars out ahead of us. The kind of pathetic part was that when we got to the first light in town, they were both maybe 150 feet ahead of us stopped at the light.

I'd imagine that it will not be long before these systems are defacto required on all new cars. If I were an insurance company, I'd likely already be firing up big rate differentials. I can't imagine we are far from this.

What about when SkyNet decides that all humans are a threat?
    SkyNet will be right. All humans ARE a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    SkyNet will be right. All humans ARE a threat.
    I, for one, welcome our AI overlords...
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I just picked up a new outback with eyesight and LOVE it. It's awesome. If it stops you from rear ending someone once, or running over a kid in a parking lot while backing out of a spot its worth it. I love the feature when you swerve out of a lane slowly by accident you feel a gentle push on the wheel telling you to get back in. I won't go back to a car without it.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    I just picked up a new outback with eyesight and LOVE it. It's awesome. If it stops you from rear ending someone once, or running over a kid in a parking lot while backing out of a spot its worth it. I love the feature when you swerve out of a lane slowly by accident you feel a gentle push on the wheel telling you to get back in. I won't go back to a car without it.
    Wonder how it will deal with cyclists and center lines on Donner Pass Rd?

I'm now sold on EyeSight and Wednesday I pick up my new Outback.
    My wife didn't get it on her Impreza of which I couldn't convince her after starting this thread and doing some further research.
    I see (no pun) the merits of a visual system that will not be damaged in a fender bender like other systems.
    Cheers and thanks again