Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16

    Skiing Sandia Peak

    I live in West Texas and may have some opportunities for weekend trips to Albuquerque this Winter. Just wondered if anyone here has skied Sandia Peak and what your thoughts were? The last couple of years I've been able to ski Colorado (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin) which is clearly a step above but when you're a flat lander you take what you can get.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    5,782
    Not Sandia but I surely enjoyed Pajarito, Sipapu, and Taos back when I had occasion to be down in NM more often.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    It's Full of Stars....
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by iakobos View Post
    I live in West Texas and may have some opportunities for weekend trips to Albuquerque this Winter. Just wondered if anyone here has skied Sandia Peak and what your thoughts were? The last couple of years I've been able to ski Colorado (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin) which is clearly a step above but when you're a flat lander you take what you can get.
    Lived here (abq) for 30+ years....... been to Sandia maybe three times. Go an hour and a half north and hit Santa Fe, you'll be glad you did.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,877
    Have you considered remaining in Texas?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,427
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Go an hour and a half north and hit Santa Fe, you'll be glad you did.
    ^This. The nice thing about Sandia is that you don't have to make a lot of turns, which also the not-so-nice thing. It's a good place to learn to ski, and a good place to mountain bike, but that's about it. Small, uninteresting, snow issues. I've been maybe 3 times in the 25 years I've lived in NM, and I work for the company that owns it (and ski Santa Fe), which should tell you something.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^This. The nice thing about Sandia is that you don't have to make a lot of turns, which also the not-so-nice thing. It's a good place to learn to ski, and a good place to mountain bike, but that's about it. Small, uninteresting, snow issues. I've been maybe 3 times in the 25 years I've lived in NM, and I work for the company that owns it (and ski Santa Fe), which should tell you something.
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Lived here (abq) for 30+ years....... been to Sandia maybe three times. Go an hour and a half north and hit Santa Fe, you'll be glad you did.
    Thanks for the feedback. I kind of suspected Sandia might have some limitations. I have a friend who sometimes skis and lives in Albuquerque. I may get him up to Sandia to get him started again and then see if I can eventually get him up to Santa Fe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Have you considered remaining in Texas?
    Well, Texas is God's Country but for whatever reason he didn't see fit to include skiable mountains here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Live Music Capital of the World
    Posts
    286
    You might want to consider Wolf Creek, too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,427
    Quote Originally Posted by iakobos View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I kind of suspected Sandia might have some limitations. I have a friend who sometimes skis and lives in Albuquerque. I may get him up to Sandia to get him started again and then see if I can eventually get him up to Santa Fe.
    Check with Sandia ahead of time to make sure they're open.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where everything's a dollar
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by iakobos View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I kind of suspected Sandia might have some limitations.
    Congratulations, you're well on your way to achieving total consciousness.

    If you really want to ski go to Taos or as someone else said, WC.
    The Sheriff is near!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    hell, CA pop 4
    Posts
    2,368
    Taos if you want to ski. Sipapu, Red River, or Angelfire if you just kindda want to ski.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    I looked up Taos on Google Maps. They have the most interesting people there such as this woman with the ghost leg.
    Name:  Taos.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  115.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    3,835
    Santa Fe looks cool.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    949
    I learned to ski at Sandia. Seemed imposing way back then, but it certainly is quaint and small in the grand scheme. If you do go, make sure to peer over the west side at the very top. Spectacular ABQ view.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    ht
    Posts
    20
    South Texas here and we have skied Santa Fe twice and liked it, this seasons trip we are staying in Frisco, Colorado not Texas, and more than likely ski Breck for the most part. Good luck with your trip!
    Last edited by Mojo1; 09-06-2017 at 07:10 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,407
    I was born in Albuquerque, made my first turns at sandia, don't remember much about it, we moved to utah when I was 7. Riding the tram up to ski area from town is pretty rad and the hike down or up is equally enjoyable.

    my dad, who has skied the past 25+ ski seasons in Utah, still claims his deepest day ever was at sandia. he claims skiers were stuck all over the slopes, you couldn't make turns or you'd stop and even then you could still get stuck. My sister's longtime ex-boyfriend skied that west face below the tram into ABQ in the early 90s. I don't think it snows like that down there anymore.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    I spoke to my friend who lives in Albuquerque last night. We're going skiing while he's off work for Christmas break. We'll be on the slopes (weather permitting) Dec 18. Here's hoping for plenteous and early snow fall, but don't we all hope for that.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    11,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Check with Sandia ahead of time to make sure they're open.
    Repeated for cautionary advice.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    I was born in Albuquerque, made my first turns at sandia, don't remember much about it, we moved to utah when I was 7. Riding the tram up to ski area from town is pretty rad and the hike down or up is equally enjoyable.

    my dad, who has skied the past 25+ ski seasons in Utah, still claims his deepest day ever was at sandia. he claims skiers were stuck all over the slopes, you couldn't make turns or you'd stop and even then you could still get stuck. My sister's longtime ex-boyfriend skied that west face below the tram into ABQ in the early 90s. I don't think it snows like that down there anymore.
    What year does your dad recall that "super deep" day being? I remember they had an all-time three foot-plus day when I was in junior high, so maybe mid/late 80's? It made the news I remember, it was an unbelievable amount. I wonder if it was the same storm!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Santa Fe looks cool.
    It is a cool, very underrated ski area. They get great snow with a bunch of really good, varied terrain, and their grooming is some of the best I've ever encountered. Also some BC options up there, definitely worth a trip.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6
    can't forget to go further north as well. pajarito, though small, is a personal favorite.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    8,961
    Poor New Mexico - so far from heaven, so close to Tejas
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •