Skiing Sandia Peak

I live in West Texas and may have some opportunities for weekend trips to Albuquerque this Winter. Just wondered if anyone here has skied Sandia Peak and what your thoughts were? The last couple of years I've been able to ski Colorado (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin) which is clearly a step above but when you're a flat lander you take what you can get.

Not Sandia but I surely enjoyed Pajarito, Sipapu, and Taos back when I had occasion to be down in NM more often.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by iakobos View Post
    I live in West Texas and may have some opportunities for weekend trips to Albuquerque this Winter. Just wondered if anyone here has skied Sandia Peak and what your thoughts were? The last couple of years I've been able to ski Colorado (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin) which is clearly a step above but when you're a flat lander you take what you can get.
    Lived here (abq) for 30+ years....... been to Sandia maybe three times. Go an hour and a half north and hit Santa Fe, you'll be glad you did.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Have you considered remaining in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Go an hour and a half north and hit Santa Fe, you'll be glad you did.
    ^This. The nice thing about Sandia is that you don't have to make a lot of turns, which also the not-so-nice thing. It's a good place to learn to ski, and a good place to mountain bike, but that's about it. Small, uninteresting, snow issues. I've been maybe 3 times in the 25 years I've lived in NM, and I work for the company that owns it (and ski Santa Fe), which should tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^This. The nice thing about Sandia is that you don't have to make a lot of turns, which also the not-so-nice thing. It's a good place to learn to ski, and a good place to mountain bike, but that's about it. Small, uninteresting, snow issues. I've been maybe 3 times in the 25 years I've lived in NM, and I work for the company that owns it (and ski Santa Fe), which should tell you something.
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Lived here (abq) for 30+ years....... been to Sandia maybe three times. Go an hour and a half north and hit Santa Fe, you'll be glad you did.
    Thanks for the feedback. I kind of suspected Sandia might have some limitations. I have a friend who sometimes skis and lives in Albuquerque. I may get him up to Sandia to get him started again and then see if I can eventually get him up to Santa Fe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Have you considered remaining in Texas?
    Well, Texas is God's Country but for whatever reason he didn't see fit to include skiable mountains here.

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    You might want to consider Wolf Creek, too.

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of suspected Sandia might have some limitations. I have a friend who sometimes skis and lives in Albuquerque. I may get him up to Sandia to get him started again and then see if I can eventually get him up to Santa Fe.
    Check with Sandia ahead of time to make sure they're open.

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of suspected Sandia might have some limitations.
    Congratulations, you're well on your way to achieving total consciousness.

If you really want to ski go to Taos or as someone else said, WC.
    The Sheriff is near!

Taos if you want to ski. Sipapu, Red River, or Angelfire if you just kindda want to ski.

I looked up Taos on Google Maps. They have the most interesting people there such as this woman with the ghost leg.
    Name:  Taos.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  115.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Santa Fe looks cool.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I learned to ski at Sandia. Seemed imposing way back then, but it certainly is quaint and small in the grand scheme. If you do go, make sure to peer over the west side at the very top. Spectacular ABQ view.

South Texas here and we have skied Santa Fe twice and liked it, this seasons trip we are staying in Frisco, Colorado not Texas, and more than likely ski Breck for the most part. Good luck with your trip!
    Last edited by Mojo1; 09-06-2017 at 07:10 AM.

I was born in Albuquerque, made my first turns at sandia, don't remember much about it, we moved to utah when I was 7. Riding the tram up to ski area from town is pretty rad and the hike down or up is equally enjoyable.

my dad, who has skied the past 25+ ski seasons in Utah, still claims his deepest day ever was at sandia. he claims skiers were stuck all over the slopes, you couldn't make turns or you'd stop and even then you could still get stuck. My sister's longtime ex-boyfriend skied that west face below the tram into ABQ in the early 90s. I don't think it snows like that down there anymore.

I spoke to my friend who lives in Albuquerque last night. We're going skiing while he's off work for Christmas break. We'll be on the slopes (weather permitting) Dec 18. Here's hoping for plenteous and early snow fall, but don't we all hope for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Check with Sandia ahead of time to make sure they're open.
    Repeated for cautionary advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    I was born in Albuquerque, made my first turns at sandia, don't remember much about it, we moved to utah when I was 7. Riding the tram up to ski area from town is pretty rad and the hike down or up is equally enjoyable.

my dad, who has skied the past 25+ ski seasons in Utah, still claims his deepest day ever was at sandia. he claims skiers were stuck all over the slopes, you couldn't make turns or you'd stop and even then you could still get stuck. My sister's longtime ex-boyfriend skied that west face below the tram into ABQ in the early 90s. I don't think it snows like that down there anymore.
    What year does your dad recall that "super deep" day being? I remember they had an all-time three foot-plus day when I was in junior high, so maybe mid/late 80's? It made the news I remember, it was an unbelievable amount. I wonder if it was the same storm!

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Santa Fe looks cool.
    It is a cool, very underrated ski area. They get great snow with a bunch of really good, varied terrain, and their grooming is some of the best I've ever encountered. Also some BC options up there, definitely worth a trip.

can't forget to go further north as well. pajarito, though small, is a personal favorite.

Poor New Mexico - so far from heaven, so close to Tejas