jgb@etree Guest

Post Gear Geeks: Spinning Reel Question

What is the current comparable model to an old school penn 720z?

Bought a shaksepeare combo for my son a couple of summers ago so he could learn about the joy of fishing for snapper blues. All considered it was a good learning rod, and I don't think I paid more than $30 for the setup so 3 years and hundreds of fish later it really owes us nothing. One of the eyes broke earlier this summer, so I got him a pretty nice rod and threw the shakespeare reel that came with the ugly stick on it. A few weeks later, the bail has snapped in the middle of a plastic piece. I could probably get creative and stick it back together somehow but I'm sure it'll end up failing with a fish on the line, and that'd suck. Since I already got him a nice rod, I figure he needs a good reel to go with it. I'm still using the 720z that my dad bought for me when I was about my son's age. Time to buy my son the reel that he will still be using in 30 years when he is fishing with his kid. I'd prefer to stick with penn for pure nostalgia, but wouldn't ignore a no brainer option just because it's not a penn.

Thanks

Pflueger president XT. Super smooth, solid construction, inexpensive and a work horse.

Gear Geeks: Spinning Reel Question

I'm partial to Abu Garcia reels. Relatively inexpensive, well built, easy to service yourself.

See the Revo series.

What size is the rod? Length and Lure and Line rating?

I perfer Shimano reels, but still have a pile of Penn SSG's (now called the Spinfisher V) that have peformed flawlessly for the last 15 years.

Looks like they brought back the Z, I'd grab him another one of those since nostalgia is playing into it:

http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-z-s...ing-reels.html

Honestly, I'd stay the fuck away from Flueger and Abu's, there is a reason all you see on charter boats are Penn, Shimano and Diawa, shit holds up in salt.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    What size is the rod? Length and Lure and Line rating?

I perfer Shimano reels, but still have a pile of Penn SSG's (now called the Spinfisher V) that have peformed flawlessly for the last 15 years.

Looks like they brought back the Z, I'd grab him another one of those since nostalgia is playing into it:

http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-z-s...ing-reels.html

Honestly, I'd stay the fuck away from Flueger and Abu's, there is a reason all you see on charter boats are Penn, Shimano and Diawa, shit holds up in salt.
    Great point re: saltwater durability, as that is exactly what I'm looking for.

6.5' rod, running either 6 or 8# test. I'm not really up on reel sizing, but I'd guess I'd like to be able to spool up ~200yds of 8# test. Light tackle - he's usually running a 1/8 or 1/4oz kastmaster or similar.

I saw the Z series, but it looks like the smallest reel might be a little big for his setup, it's a 3500. I'm guessing I probably want something like a 2500 or 3000??

Ah, missed the salt water use. Go with another penn or Diawa sized for the rod.

I use the 4500 Penn's on 7ft rods for schoolies and its a prefect match. I think the 3500 should be OK. They probably don't make a smaller saltwater sized one..

jgb@etree Guest
    Thanks. Gonna have to check out that 3500 in person, but I think it's a bit big...

I called Penn today and they recommended the Conflict and Battle, but the guy I spoke to was pretty straight up and told me they are no match for a workhorse like the 720z. So I may have to start trolling craigslist and see if I can find another 720 or 716. I'm kinda surprised that such a reel basically no longer exists. I guess they figured out that if you sell a bombproof reel they don't need to be replaced every 3-5 years.

Sell the spincasting stuff and buy a flyfishing outfit.....you'll enjoy fishing and the outdoors a ton more....
    $.01

Gear Geeks: Spinning Reel Question

^^^ A good suggestion. Baitcasters (Abu Garcia 5500's or 6500's) or fly gear should cover just about any fishing needs, without all the hassles of spinning gear (twisted line, tangles, short casts, etc.)

Unless you're trolling for Walleye or tossing worms for Sunnies...
    Last edited by Flyoverland Captive; 08-19-2017 at 11:29 PM.

jgb@etree Guest
    I finally tracked down another 720z for my son!

I even got my hands on 2 spare spools and all of the parts I needed to re-do the drag on the original spools :fkna: