Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Robust Touring Rig in the Spirit of the Cast System

This topic came up in another thread beginning with the following two posts. I'm guessing that a discussion will unfold over the coming months, and it certainly deserves its own thread ... sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    An idea I've been toying with is the new Tyrolia demo bindings (13 DIN - toolless removal) with a tech toe mounted in front and Voile's splitboard heel elevators. Its like CAST, but with a removable heelpiece. You'd need extra room in your pack for the heels though and I'd need to see if the bindings would clear the heel elevators (or get creative).
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    ^^^ive been thinking about that as well but only got to the point of maybe an HDPE toe plate mounted with quiver killers above the toe rails. Keep this thread going if you get further along. I'll do same.
    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I'm listening

Hmm, interesting.

So the tyrolia demos can just pop off easily? Would the tech toe be permantely mounted in front of the tyrolia toe? Seems like it would be easy enough to mount the voile risers between the tyrolia toe and heel, as long as there is clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    So the tyrolia demos can just pop off easily? Would the tech toe be permantely mounted in front of the tyrolia toe? Seems like it would be easy enough to mount the voile risers between the tyrolia toe and heel, as long as there is clearance.
    Yeah. The trick is the toe would slide towards the middle. So it would have to clear the track it hits the Voile puck. Looks like tight clearance for 295 BSL. The longer the BSL the easier it would be. I'll have to cut the track down at the very least. The heel is easy, just slide off backwards.

I think Tyrolia is working on an 9523 compatible demo binding too which opens up new possibilities. Or maybe the next years model that I have been playing with already is? It says AT on it, has a sliding AFD and adjustable height (but by how much?).

The nice part is you can order extra tracks. Use inserts for the touring bits and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 08-10-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Interesting.

What would be the purpose of a tech toe and an alpine heel?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    What would be the purpose of a tech toe and an alpine heel?
    That's not what's being discussed here.

Like the CAST system, the tech toe is for touring only. The difference is it would have a removable heel that you can store in your pack, unlike CAST where the heavy alpine heel piece is permanently on the ski. Also unlike CAST, you have to use plastic, 13-DIN demo binders instead of metal P18.

Personally, I don't see the point—if I'm going to modify my skiing for a 13-DIN plastic binding, I might as well use a Kingpin.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

Like the CAST system, the tech toe is for touring only. The difference is it would have a removable heel that you can store in your pack, unlike CAST where the heavy alpine heel piece is permanently on the ski. Also unlike CAST, you have to use plastic, 13-DIN demo binders instead of metal P18.

Personally, I don't see the point—if I'm going to modify my skiing for a 13-DIN plastic binding, I might as well use a Kingpin.
    If you've never broken a plastic binding, and ski at 13 or less, then plastic DIN 13 makes sense. Pretty sure that applies to you

If you've never broken a plastic binding, and ski at 13 or less, then plastic DIN 13 makes sense. Pretty sure that applies to you
    It doesn't, actually.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

It doesn't, actually.
    Which?

You have to admit that it's a fun intellectual exercise - that you never know where these conversations will end up, especially in the dog days of August

Having said that, for my 80% inbounds rig, I'm setting up my drilling pattern for Looks, in anticipation of a transition to CAST.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Which?
    Both. Though, to be fair, it's been while since I've broken a binder (it's also been a while since I skied a plastic binder for more than a day), and I don't always keep my DIN above 13. But I have pre-released from plastic demo binders with the DIN at 13 so I prefer to dial it back a notch on them.

Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    You have to admit that it's a fun intellectual exercise - that you never know where these conversations will end up, especially in the dog days of August

Having said that, for my 80% inbounds rig, I'm setting up my drilling pattern for Looks, in anticipation of a transition to CAST.
    For sure.

I'm just saying that I'd take the peace of mind of a P18 over a little weight saved on the ski for the uphill. AFAIK, the Attack doesn't accept a rockered sole so it can't really replace the Kingpin for me. But maybe I'm wrong, and I'll end up giving 'em a shot.

photos

Both. Though, to be fair, it's been while since I've broken a binder (it's also been a while since I skied a plastic binder for more than a day), and I don't always keep my DIN above 13. But I have pre-released from plastic demo binders with the DIN at 13 so I prefer to dial it back a notch on them.

Why do you ask?

For sure.

I'm just saying that I'd take the peace of mind of a P18 over a little weight saved on the ski for the uphill. AFAIK, the Attack doesn't accept a rockered sole so it can't really replace the Kingpin for me. But maybe I'm wrong, and I'll end up giving 'em a shot.
    Because you weigh a lot less than me... just curious what your experiences were. Which bindings?

Next years model, which I have, might. Haven't seen the spec sheet, but I believe its based off the Attack 14 AT which is 9523 cerified. Don't have a 9523 boot at the house at the moment though.

On the Attack 14AT it says AT on the AFD (most open setting). What about your demo binders?

Same. Says AT. Adjustable and sliding AFD unlike the current model.

If you've never broken a plastic binding, and ski at 13 or less, then plastic DIN 13 makes sense.
    So like a kingpin...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    So like a kingpin...
    Except with way better damping and arguably safer (lateral release at the toe). Those are the biggest drawbacks to the Kingpin over an alpine binding in my opinion - I care much more about those than plastic/13+DIN.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 08-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Because you weigh a lot less than me... just curious what your experiences were. Which bindings?
    Not sure I weight a lot less—I'm usually around 165# (nekkid on an empty stomach). You're around 175, right?

Honestly can't recall the exact model of the ones I broke—it was before I started paying attention to gear. I recall breaking two pairs, and my brother broke a pair or two also. Pretty sure at least one pair was Sally and the others were Markers, all standard plastic 12-DIN. I was lighter then, about 155#. My mom uses the heel piece of one as a Christmas tree star.

The demo binders I prereleased from were Marker Griffon demos set to 13. Don't have much experience with the Attack; maybe they're better demo binders.

photos

My mom uses the heel piece of one as a Christmas tree star.

This tops the #metalbindingbrocore easily

#skimomcore

The new AT Attack Demos should clear a rockered sole. They clear ZeroGs with a good extra half centimeter.

Voile dual climbing risers won't work. One folds back, one folds forward. Fold back is a deal breaker. There's a few other options where both fold forward (cut down phantom at least, but its $90). I'll probably make my own with off the shelf wire bails and dremel some plastic.

Need to cut down the demo plates too, but other than that, it should work fine for BSLs > 290. Smaller than that might be tricky. Not enough room for the toe to clear the heel riser mount when removing.

You'll have more tail when kick turning - something to keep in mind.

This is all from memory when I messed around with them a few mos. ago but I thought the best way to deal with the heels was to keep them on and band the brake arms. Then you can move them back on the rail for flat or move them up and put down the heel pivot for a low elevator. That would need to be done by moving the heels on the track. So it's not an on the fly or elegant solution.

Even the toe plate isn't super easy. If you had inserts with dynafit toes you would need to rest them above the toe rails. I thought HDPE cut into the rails with the dynafit toes screwed in with a cotter pin in the back of the rails. Again - only a thought experiment and only did it because I bought skis with those bindings and started thinking when I saw the toe and heel both were removed easily.

You cut down the plates - both heel and toe. Then they aren't in the way.

I see where you were going further up in the thread now. Makes sense.