Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Your first statement piqued my interest so I went back and read a ton of reviews on them. I was looking at this ski since it was recommended as a direct replacement for my Lhasa Fats, when they die, hopefully no time soon. I could not find anyone complain about lack of float in the 118mm underfoot 193 Bodacious. It really sounds like the ski you seek. As well as the Lotus 120. It is also better suited to your style of skiing. Honestly for a big pow day specific ski, for where you ski, the 192 ProTest, or if needing more lift line cred, 196, should be THE ski to get. Even though I have zero issues with float in the OG 188 and I'm 5'10 195 without gear, I could see me on the 192 easily though.

My Hybrids have a ton of life left as I bet pfluffs do as well. Mine aren't for sale though.
    They are still the lynchpin in my quiver ... best ski evar!
    I regret selling the pair of really light and fairly soft pures that I dumped to raise doughski for my car (when PMGear was still active).
    Upon hearing that Splat was no longer pressing skis, I started the hunt for a pair of back-up hybrids (mission successful!).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Yeah, you swooped that pair just before I could.

Love my Spurs, strong skis. For me the shape and the lightening of the tips for such a big ski seems right. They worked well enough for the dumps we had last year on East Coast, but the more wide open ranges is where they romp.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I really want to try spurs but the reported lack of float is concerning.
    Who ever said the Spurs don't float hasn't gotten them up to speed.

I need to try the Rens, but the 203 Shiro is the most stable ride I've been on. Protests and Spurs are close, but the big Shiro takes the cake.

I told jesski I was thinking about selling you my extra-stiff 191 BGs to fund new extra-stiff C&Ds, and she smacked me in the head and told me to stop being stupid.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Aha!

LVS had better quit squirting on the silly Loti and Protestststs and start trying to talk some sense into your wife... before I do.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I told jesski I was thinking about selling you my extra-stiff 191 BGs to fund new extra-stiff C&Ds, and she smacked me in the head and told me to stop being stupid.
    What if we worked out some sort of lease agreement? If I recall we're the same bsl. Maybe we could talk her into it if you were shifting laterally into the 193 billygoats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Aha!

LVS had better quit squirting on the silly Loti and Protestststs and start trying to talk some sense into your wife... before I do.
    Norsk, these are mine.

I'd love to hear a review of those. Have you been on the stock layup?

Don't you have 2 pairs of goats?

Also, when do you decide to grab the 202s over the goats?

Don't you have 2 pairs of goats?

Also, when do you decide to grab the 202s over the goats?
    Yes, I do. My original pair are about 25-30% stiffer than stock. They are more confidence inspiring than the stock BG at speed, especially on drops because of the stiffer tail. They just want to charge. The new pair (undrilled) are about 30% stiffer than stock and 40% stiffer in the tail. ON3P did this by milling the core thicker in the last 45cm. They're also the last pair of 191s ON3P pressed.

We do have roughly the same bsl, but the Goats are in CO—otherwise, we could probably figure out a rental agreement. Wife just knows how much I love the BG and she's looking out for my gear-whore whims. Really would love to try the new asymmetrical 191 C&D in an extra-stiff layup (combo of more carbon and core milled thicker), but that will have to be an after-grad-school purchase. In fact, since I own 3 pow skis, all pow ski purchases are relegated to a time when I make more than $30k/yr and live somewhere I can actually use them regularly. Thing is, I wouldn't/couldn't sell the 191 BGs for more than like $400, and replacement cost is $900+ so it just makes sense to keep them until they die or I can justify/afford paying the difference.

But to answer your question: I grab the 202s when I feel like going faster than is reasonable. A great ski for Crystal over Stevens, but a quiver ski for sure. They make downright crazy speeds seem reasonable. Been a few years since I skied them, though. The 202 R3.2, which I owned and sold, are way more smeary and slarvy than the 202 R2. I think Marshall's description linked above is bang on, except I really prefer the R2 because they track like a mo'fo. I bet the 202 R2 and the 196 Protest heavy core #5 flex mounted like -3 would be very similar, to give you an idea. The 202 R2 runs circles around the 196 Protest in stock form.

Compared to my 191 BG, the 202 R2 has more float underfoot than the tips. It's really great for breaking trail, but the surface area of the 202 can be a bit much for stomping cliffs if the snow isn't stupid deep. Different feel, really, and the 202 R2 likes to run more than the 191 BG. The 191 BG floats fine—I swapped out on that day Stevens got 79" overnight because it was my first day on the BG and I couldn't resist not skiing them. No complaints on either ski. That tip of the 191 just stays on the surface, which makes for a really fun ride.

I'm 5'11", 160-165#, so both can be a handful in tight trees, but I give the nod the 191 BG by a bit.

Back to work now, but happy to elaborate more later if there are questions.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-16-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Aha!

Protestststs silly? Them thar be fightin werds whippersnapper!

(motivational psyops going on here...)

Yeah, I'm on to you.....

Trade: Lotus 138 for Lotus 120 or Billygoats or Blizzard Spurs or Volkl Confessions

I've only skied the 120 in a Pure3 and cannot imagine containing that build in a 202. FakN lightning. Not sure how the 202 builds compare to P3 construct but assume there is rationale to topping that gen out at 189??? I really dig the 120 P3 tho. Forces your game and just so damn stable. Speed checking on a dime but demands and rewards pace.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I've only skied the 120 in a Pure3 and cannot imagine containing that build in a 202. FakN lightning. Not sure how the 202 builds compare to P3 construct but assume there is rationale to topping that gen out at 189??? I really dig the 120 P3 tho. Forces your game and just so damn stable. Speed checking on a dime but demands and rewards pace.
    The L120 P3 came in a 197 for a while. If they quit making it, I'd put money on the rationale being the same as the rationale for the BG coming in max 189—which is simply that skis 190 and over don't sell anymore. I've skied the 189 L120 P3: it's awesome for a sub-9# ski, but just not as confidence inspiring at speed as the 191 BG or 202 L138 R2.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-15-2017 at 10:25 PM.

photos

^true. Recall seeing the 197 for 50% retail on steep and cheap supporting your theory they just weren't selling. Pretty burly rig for all but a few.
    Uno mas

The L120 P3 came in a 197 for a while. If they quit making it, I'd put money on the rationale being the same as the rationale for the BG coming in max 189—which is simply that skis 190 and over don't sell anymore. I've skied the 189 L120 P3: it's awesome for a sub-9# ski, but just not as confidence inspiring at speed as the 191 BG or 202 L138 R2.
    Only rarely on a groomer at 40+ have I found the top end of my 189 P3 120s....

Which, i'd trade for those 138s me thinks...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Only rarely on a groomer at 40+ have I found the top end of my 189 P3 120s....

Which, i'd trade for those 138s me thinks...
    40+ in deep chop/tracked pow is where the BG and 202 L138 R2 shine comparatively. I'm not saying you can't ski fast on the L120; I'm just saying the they bounce around a lot and don't beg you to go faster and faster.

I guess I should bow out of this thread now, but I bet the new 193 xstiff BG ON3P is making limited quantities of for their FWT skier is going to be very similar to my pair = awesome.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-16-2017 at 09:08 AM.

photos

40+ in deep chop/tracked pow is where the BG and 202 L138 R2 shine comparatively. I'm not saying you can't ski fast on the L120; I'm just saying the they bounce around a lot and don't beg you to go faster and faster.

FWIW, 196 Renegade is similar to the 202 L138. It's a little narrower with a touch more sidecut (more useable) but is more finicky fore-aft balance (bad).

I guess I should bow out of this thread now, but I bet the new 193 xstiff BG ON3P is making limited quantities of for their FWT skier is going to be very similar to my pair = awesome.
    I thought you skied the 186 Renegade?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I thought you skied the 186 Renegade?
    I ski neither anymore, but yes I owned the 186 for a while but also skied my brother's 196. But I don't have much time on the 196 Ren, I haven't done a back to back comparison, and it's been a few years since I was on either, so I withdraw the statement that they're similar.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-16-2017 at 09:10 AM.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    ^true. Recall seeing the 197 for 50% retail on steep and cheap supporting your theory they just weren't selling. Pretty burly rig for all but a few.
    I read somewhere in an interview with the guys at 4frnt that they are only selling 30-40 pairs max of the 196 renegades every year

I want Big dumps with real tip rocker
    I got a pair of Atomic Atlas, 192 for sale in gear swap

Just bumping this historical thread for enjoyments sake.

Still have not tried the 193 Bodacious, Spur, Lotus 120, Renegade, Shiro, Protest. Want to try them all.

Skied many variables of the Billygoats since this thread. It is a fine ski, and I had many happy pow days on them.

Funny that both the burly Billygoat and burly Lhasa Pow Fat we talked about became a reality via the Supergoat and Praxis repress respectively.

I am happy to have the 202 Lotus 138 back in the quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

Still have not tried the 193 Bodacious, Spur, Lotus 120, Renegade, Shiro, Protest. Want to try them all.

Skied many variables of the Billygoats since this thread. It is a fine ski, and I had many happy pow days on them.

Funny that both the burly Billygoat and burly Lhasa Pow Fat we talked about became a reality via the Supergoat and Praxis repress respectively.

I'm not on the big gun sizes at 165lb with a pretty fucked up knee, but if you make it over to the west side of the Cascades and want to get on a 192 Protest or 186 OG Renegade we can make that happen.

192 L138 Spoons (the purple ones) are in the quiver this year too, but I've yet to ski them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

I’ll send you a pair of 196 Protests and 189 Spurs (OG) for $400 shipped. But, I’d like to reserve the right to buy the Protests back if/when you want to sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums