Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Repair kit for long rides in middle of nowhere

I've been riding for two years on parking lot accessible local trails and have little on trail repair experience. Making my first trip this weekend where we will setup a base camp and ride loops for a few days on remote trails, 30+ mi rides and unlikely to see others if help is needed.

Anybody have suggestions on tools and parts to bring along? I'm thinking:

- bike multi tool with chain breaker
    - pump
    - extra tube
    - master link pliers
    - extra links

I'm curious to hear what others with more experience would carry along!

I carry a rear derailleur hanger, a plier/multi-tool like a leatherman or gerber etc. I also carry a tubeless tire plug kit.

-patch kit
    -tire levers
    -co2 cartridge(s)

some people seem to load a pack up with everything imaginable, I don't get it. why carry twenty pounds on your back? Do they even use all the shit they bring? Doubtful? does it make them feel safe sure

For long long rides I bring:

2 tubes
    co2 filler and three canisters
    small hand pump
    small patch kit
    chain tool
    tiny multi tool
    electrical tape
    lube (trial size)
    joints
    lighter
    food
    on really big rides I bring a water filter which is small as shit too

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I've been riding for two years on parking lot accessible local trails and have little on trail repair experience. Making my first trip this weekend where we will setup a base camp and ride loops for a few days on remote trails, 30+ mi rides and unlikely to see others if help is needed.

- pump
    - extra tube
    - master link pliers
    - extra links

Seriously? I carry that when I ride a mile from my house. Plus a shock pump.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 08-10-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Short rides (anything other than 100% downhill off the lifts, but even then I often pocket my tubeless plug kit):
    Tube
    Pump with duct tape
    Multi tool with chain breaker
    Tubeless plugs
    Tube repair kit
    Master link
    Levers

Long rides, add:
    Gear cable
    Old-but-useable brake pads
    Leatherman
    Derailleur hanger
    Zipties
    First aid kit
    Mini bottle of chain lube

All of the above is used by friends about 3 times as often as it is used by me, but I still carry it. Only ever had to use a spare cable, hanger or brake pads once on the trail but I would have been screwed without them.

EDIT: Forgot spare Boa dial for my shoes. Boa sent me four spares for free this year after I broke one and they weigh nothing so why not?
    Last edited by LC; 08-10-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Repair kit for long rides in middle of nowhere

Whats been said, plus:
    shifter cable + terminator
    cable cutter
    A few zipties
    10" of copper wire

Gorilla tape around the pump should take care of the rest.

I used to carry a spare rear derailleur (always have one in the car), but I've never used it on the trail (could have once, but was all downhill to the car). Still thinking about adding it back in sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    cable cutter
    I cut my spare cable to length before I pack it. Add a little length if you ride with people with longer bikes that your own.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    I cut my spare cable to length before I pack it. Add a little length if you ride with people with longer bikes that your own.
    My only issue with that is fraying. Do you torch the ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    My only issue with that is fraying. Do you torch the ends?
    No I just cut it clean then put a little tape around the end to stop any fraying. I had a new uncut cable fray a little in my spare parts box once but that twisted back into shape and installed fine. I guess torching the end wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Seriously? I carry that when I ride a mile from my house. Plus a shock pump.
    Does it take a day or two to do that ride on your square wheels?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

all of that stuff is good to take in the car (just take all yer spare parts) on a riding trip but excessive in the pack, I used to take a spare hayes hydro cable/bleed kit/ dot 4 because I broke 3 of them, spare chain, but I'm not taking them on the trail cuz I could limp out

I could probably limp out with a der hanger/chain tool/some master links and the spare links I cut out of a new chain

everyone missed a spoke wrench
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-10-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

learn how to make your bike into a singlespeed.

Not one mention of a tire boot. And if a walking the bike out is not option, you need to carry something that can stitch up a severely cut tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    Yeah, I'd do this before I started carrying cables and derailleurs on rides.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post

- pump
    - extra tube
    - master link pliers
    - extra links

First aid kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Short rides (anything other than 100% downhill off the lifts, but even then I often pocket my tubeless plug kit):
    Tube
    Pump with duct tape
    Multi tool with chain breaker
    Tubeless plugs
    Tube repair kit
    Master link
    Levers

Long rides, add:
    Gear cable
    Old-but-useable brake pads
    Leatherman
    Derailleur hanger
    Zipties
    First aid kit
    Mini bottle of chain lube
    I have a lot of the same. Would add spoke wrench, valve core remover, spare valve core, misc bolts, a few extra chain links, 2 oz stans bottle, tire boots

I carry the same stuff for almost all rides though. Adding/removing stuff for different rides makes me more likely to forget something important.

For really long/remote rides and bikepacking I might bring a bit more - shimano bleed kit, gear brush, small rag, shock pump.

I used to ride with a guy occasionally who would carry the whole kitchen sink, on every ride. Spare shifter, derailler, spare seatpost, spare rear brake. Most of us would pull out a quicklink if a chain snaps. This guy would pull out a brand new chain still in its package. He was completely paranoid, as was his wife. He also carried a GPS beacon, and wore full armor on every ride - full face, leatt, arm and leg pads. Needless to say he didn't enjoy any ride that had much climbing.

I do a fair amount of remote riding and don't bring a whole lot of stuff. Tube, pump, basic multi tool, sometimes a chain tool and tiny first aid kit, is about it. I should probably bring a few more things though.

I worry about a really big cut in a tire more than anything and was thinking about sometimes bringing a needle and thread to sew one back together if needed. Or maybe just a good boot would be fine.

I do also try to keep my riding appropriate to the situation. You're 50 miles from anything not at the bike park.

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    As in simply break chain, remove appropriate number of links, re-install chain with RD bypassed? If you can't do that you shouldn't be venturing more than hour from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Yeah, I'd do this before I started carrying cables and derailleurs on rides.
    I agree that carrying a spare RD is kinda ridiculous, but a shifter cable is a no-brainer. They weigh nothing and pack up small and flat. Replacing one is an easy field repair and preferable to a single-speed conversion on most FS bikes. They also have many other potential off-label emergency uses.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I used to ride with a guy occasionally who would carry the whole kitchen sink, on every ride. Spare shifter, derailler, spare seatpost, spare rear brake. Most of us would pull out a quicklink if a chain snaps. This guy would pull out a brand new chain still in its package. He was completely paranoid, as was his wife. He also carried a GPS beacon, and wore full armor on every ride - full face, leatt, arm and leg pads. Needless to say he didn't enjoy any ride that had much climbing.
    That's awesome.

A few things I'm partial to that haven't been mentioned:

-Micropur purification tablets (https://www.backcountry.com/katadyn-...SABEgLObfD_BwE) Always in the pack since they take up almost no space.

-Caffeine pills. No one is immune to bonk, and when it happens caffeine can save your ass. It is a powerful ergogenic.

-TP. Some bulk but weighs nothing. If you need it you'll be very, very happy you have it.

Tire stuff is just a given the patchkit/spare tube/ real pump/ some kind of boot on any ride

I have limped home with my 5yr old sons back tire full of sod back in the day becuz the fam was "just going for a short ride" around the hood which ended up going longer and of course the blowout happens at the farthest point form home
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

A few things I'm partial to that haven't been mentioned:

-Micropur purification tablets (https://www.backcountry.com/katadyn-...SABEgLObfD_BwE) Always in the pack since they take up almost no space.

-Caffeine pills. No one is immune to bonk, and when it happens caffeine can save your ass. It is a powerful ergogenic.

-TP. Some bulk but weighs nothing. If you need it you'll be very, very happy you have it.
    I carry the TP and Micropur and have had to use both. I also carry caffeinated shot bloks which are close to the pills I guess.

I'd bring more than one spare tube. Derailleur hanger has been mentioned, but it's pretty key. Also a good but small first aid kit that's not just a bunch of different sized bandages.

For big multi day bikepacking trips in the middle of nowhere I take the following:
    1-2 tubes
    tire levers
    pump
    multi tool
    leatherman juice (its small but I like pliers)
    tube patch kit
    tire boot
    dynaplug tubeless tire repair kit (its awesome)
    master link
    a couple chain links
    duct tape
    zip ties
    rear deraileur hanger
    shifter cable
    brake pads
    +/- an ounce or 2 of stans
    +/- an ounce of chain lube

That's it. The dynaplug is so good I often only carry 1 tube these days. For a single overnight I'd def leave some of that at home and maybe just carry 1 tube, levers, pump, master link, multi tool, leatherman, dynaplug

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I carry the TP and Micropur and have had to use both. I also carry caffeinated shot bloks which are close to the pills I guess.
    I was going to say, the caffeine shot blocks are a lifesaver.

A buddy had a ride saved by tire plugs the other day, so that sounds like a good idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innov...less+tire+plug

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    For big multi day bikepacking trips in the middle of nowhere I take the following:

That's it. The dynaplug is so good I often only carry 1 tube these days. For a single overnight I'd def leave some of that at home and maybe just carry 1 tube, levers, pump, master link, multi tool, leatherman, dynaplug
    Which model Dynaplug do you use? I've been thinking about trying these out but not sure which model.