Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    here's the functional Q: what do you want to do when a commonly (relatively speaking) breakable part goes on you. you mind walking the rest of the intended ride?

tire boot? if you're eating clif bars your wrapper is one.
    some people's pumps work for shock & tire/tube, that could save you 1 pump. but I bring both.
    more sealant? you're already bringing a tube. aren't you? sealant lost on a big burp/tire blown off rim? so ride that one with tube, big deal.
    tire levers if you need them.
    spare quick link for chain.
    chain tool.
    multi-tool.
    spoke wrench.
    leatherman-sort-of-tool, but smaller size.
    4-5 zip ties.
    2d pair gloves, so I get fresh dry ones for the descent.
    sometimes I've taken a der cable, but I've never snapped one on a ride. ever.
    your food, your water, your necessary clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Which model Dynaplug do you use? I've been thinking about trying these out but not sure which model.
    I have the megaplug. Its 3 ounces so def not for weight weenies, but, if it prevents you from having to carry a second tube, or saves you from having to put a tube in and cover yourself with stans thats worth the weight penalty to me

Back in the olden days we patched tubes ... you should still have a patch kit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Dynaplug is pricey. Been using the same Panaracer kit for a couple years. Just gotta get new rubber cement every once in a while.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm no bike mechanic so I'll leave that advice to others. But tp is a solid mention, it's in all my packs.

Food. Lots of it. Including quick acting stuff like gu or shot blocks or whatever.
    Warm clothes: if it's raining/cold and you have a mechanical and are stationary for 20-30 minutes, you'll be glad you have them (even more so if forced to be stationary for longer). Maybe even an emergency bivy sack if you'll be super far out there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I know I'm gonna die out there, but you guys bring a lot of shit.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I do bring a ton of shit, but the pack has never really bothered me. And I prefer having something and not needing it to needing something and not having it.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Dynaplug is pricey. Been using the same Panaracer kit for a couple years. Just gotta get new rubber cement every once in a while.
    Are they reusable? Does it create a bigger hole in the tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm no bike mechanic so I'll leave that advice to others. But tp is a solid mention, it's in all my packs.
    I take a ziploc with wipes, too. And an extra ziploc for packing out used wipes. TP is good for an emergency cathole, but when you have swamp-ass 30 miles into a 40 miler... the wipes can be the difference between life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I agree that carrying a spare RD is kinda ridiculous, but a shifter cable is a no-brainer. They weigh nothing and pack up small and flat. Replacing one is an easy field repair and preferable to a single-speed conversion on most FS bikes. They also have many other potential off-label emergency uses.
    This.

I actually break shifter cables a lot (a known flaw of the particular generation SRAM RD that I have) and I can't imagine fucking around with shortening a chain when I can carry a tiny cable and install it by removing two screws and either cutting the end or just taping it to the frame, thus retaining full use of my RD.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Yeah, I'd do this before I started carrying cables and derailleurs on rides.
    Really? Suffer singlespeeding when you could just carry a small/weightless cable and continue riding as if nothing had even happened?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I take a ziploc with wipes, too. And an extra ziploc for packing out used wipes.
    smarter & easier to make a little hole in the earth, deposit & burn the used wipe/TP, refill the hole.

this assumes you have matches or a lighter, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    smarter & easier to make a little hole in the earth, deposit & burn the used wipe/TP, refill the hole.

this assumes you have matches or a lighter, of course.
    No - wipes don't burn worth a shit. TP, sure. But wipes - those get packed out.

Definitely pack out wipes.

And don't burn the TP unless it's obviously damp out. A number of brush fires have started in Socal by hikers trying to burn TP. Better to just pack it out.

Good on ya. I was just reading a post about this issue: http://www.oregonbikepacking.com/the...regon-outback/

I think a good first aid kit with gauze and tape to stop heavy bleeding is essential. Though the T-shirt works pretty well.

Fresh and Deep.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    <snip> gauze and tape to stop heavy bleeding is essential. Though the T-shirt works pretty well.
    Maxi pad cut in half or thirds.

You're welcome.

Maxi pad cut in half or thirds.

You're welcome.
    Essential. Lol

Fresh and Deep.

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    Essential. Lol
    I put some of those "patches" in my pack after this shit. Felt like water was running into my shoe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170412_120545.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	210515  

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    They get glued in, so not reusable. Doesn't make the hole bigger. It's just a sheet of rubber you cut strips off. Admittedly not a quick and easy as Dynaplug, but I think I paid $4 for the kit.

Glad I'm not the only one that carries TP.

Wind shirt is a great, lightweight option for staying warm.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The plugs aren't, if you trim the tail, as your suppose to. It might make very small holes slightly larger. Super fast.

The Ultralight one is $29.99 with 5 plugs and 5 extra plugs are $9.99.

Big hole plugged, small hole self sealed.

I put some of those "patches" in my pack after this shit. Felt like water was running into my shoe.
    Ohhhhhhh! Same reason I suggested it. We could see my buddies shin bone.

Fresh and Deep.

Really? Suffer singlespeeding when you could just carry a small/weightless cable and continue riding as if nothing had even happened?
    Never snapped a cable. broken many rear DR / hangers.

It will get you out in a pinch. And its something that isn't often understood, chain line, cog size and locking out the rear susp.

Made it back yesterday from the trip, and definitely used supplies that were in the pack...

I had 2 flats and a broken chain on the trail. Both of the other guys each had 1 flat. My rear shifter cable almost chopped in half but held up (got lucky it didn't snap - we were on the final climb before a sweet descent about 5mi from the end of the trail on the second day). Went through all of the group's spare tubes, one master link, and one spare chain link. I'll be carrying an extra shifter cable in the future.

Holy shit I'm a nerd. My typical kit for anything >10 miles or so. Not shown is my first aid kit, it's getting restocked.

Clockwise from top left: pouch for small stuff, cleanish cotton rag for sunglasses, 40 gram "BIg Air" CO2 with regulator, tube, mini pump, shock pump, rain jacket, rain fly for pack, TP, leatherman, multi tool with chain breaker, tire levers with rubber band to strap to multi tool, derailleur hanger, spare chain links, 11 speed quick link, 12 speed quick link, shifter cable, plug tool and a bunch of plugs, two sizes, zip ties, some bars, sterile saline bullet (mostly for washing out eyes), bic lighter wrapped in a couple feet of duct tape, OG patch kit (now transferred to blue pouch), sunblock, albuterol inhaler (personal), high SPF lip balm.

The repair stuff is used for other people 95% of the time but keeps us moving.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 08-14-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

My pack isn't that much different than yours, except less parts and repair kit (because I wouldn't know how to use them if I did) and no first aid kit to speak of (but should do more than the ibuprofen and bandaids I have).