Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    No - wipes don't burn worth a shit. TP, sure. But wipes - those get packed out.
    Didn't get you meant those soggy baby wipe sorts of things. Don't imagine they burn well unless thrown into a very hot fire.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Definitely pack out wipes.

And don't burn the TP unless it's obviously damp out. A number of brush fires have started in Socal by hikers trying to burn TP. Better to just pack it out.
    I guess it's true that some lack the presence of mind to know if you burn your TP in a cathole, and the cathole is in an area of tinder for fire season, you don't walk away until you've water- or piss-doused it. Used to be people were smarter about this, I guess Universal Knowledge via the internet hasn't been such a net positive. Colin Fletcher wrote about burning your TP in a cathole in The Complete Walker, which was first published in 1968 according to The Wiki. Nobody worried then.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Holy shit I'm a nerd.
    I've seen worse! Mine gets pretty chunky if it's going to be 7-8 hrs out there, especially if it could snow, rain or get really cold up high.

You probably just really hate walking your bike instead of riding it.

Why are you people not burying your TP with your shit in the cathole? If it's OK to bury the shit, it's OK to bury the TP, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Why are you people not burying your TP with your shit in the cathole? If it's OK to bury the shit, it's OK to bury the TP, OK?
    no, not OK.

I'll let you stew over why that is. you can think of a reason or two why, can't you?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    joints
    lighter
    Most critical components right there.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Not too many people mentioning shock pump, I highly recommend that for long rides in the case your fork or shock has a failure. Usually a broken dampener can be made "rideable" with more pressure and if you have damaged seals with a slow leak you can top off. To help keep the profile down, you can just drop the gauge and use it by feel.

Wow, you guys carry so much stuff. I guess I'm not afraid to walk 10 miles in bike shoes or be stuck in high gear. I'll admit that I haven't ridden anything over 30 miles in a long time. I have gone on many rides where I have overinflated my tires and not brought anything, if under 10 miles in mild conditions, that includes water and food. I hydrate in the car first.

So much stuff is fine for the car or truck, but a shock pump? If the shock is broken then it'll need to be rebuilt anyway. I can try to ride gingerly on the way out. Two tubes? Why? The only reason to bring a tube as well as a patch kit is if the stem breaks. What can you fix with a heavy Leatherman that you can't fix with a bike multitool?

If I were really prepared for a ride about 30 miles or farther I think I'd have the following:
    multi-tool
    1 tube
    patch kit
    tire pump
    miniature first aid kit
    chain pins
    3L water and maybe filter if water was available
    energy bars or pb&j

In days of old
    When knights were bold
    You left your load
    Upon the road
    And walked away contented
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime