Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    Probably not.

It is nice that I can use this pack for 8 day ski traverses, and fully strip it down for big days of climbing in the Tetons.
    Thanks! the fact that you can use it for that long makes me confident it would suit my purposes.

FWIW, I just used the Patagucci Ascensionist 30 as my only touring and side country pack every day for 2 weeks. I did not use it for overnight, as OP was interested in, but did carry a full backcountry kit of shovel, probe, harness, slings, carabiners, axe, extra clothing (vest, hooded puffy), extra water, extra gloves, (guide book, on one of the days), goggles, hat, crampons, and skins.
    It is excellent. Not a great choice if you're digging multiple pits. Otherwise, my BCA RS EXT shovel blade fits perfectly along the back. The 265 cm probe and shovel handle fight along the sides. It carries great and has multiple ways to attach the skis. I'm done looking for backs in the 25-35 range; and will likely just buy the Ascensionist 40 for longer trips.

I have an honest and naive question about ultralight packs. Don't they bounce around like crazy every time you make a turn? Does that not drive you crazy? I love having a light weight on my back, but have gravitated towards heavier packs (Osprey) because it keeps the weight stable while skiing.

Packed properly, there isn’t much bounce at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I have an honest and naive question about ultralight packs. Don't they bounce around like crazy every time you make a turn? Does that not drive you crazy? I love having a light weight on my back, but have gravitated towards heavier packs (Osprey) because it keeps the weight stable while skiing.
    The Asc. 30 and 25 don’t bounce at all. I was skiing steep leftovers and sloppy seconds and moguls without the sternum strap clipped and it was stable. Shoulder straps should be adjusted properly (tight). Sounds like yours weren’t?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think that has a lot more to do with general pack design (and how you load it) than weight itself. I've never had a pack that stayed put better than my HMG Porter, and that thing is pretty far to the light end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    The Asc. 30 and 25 don’t bounce at all. I was skiing steep leftovers and sloppy seconds and moguls without the sternum strap clipped and it was stable. Shoulder straps should be adjusted properly (tight). Sounds like yours weren’t?

I've had several packs, some lighter than others. The lighter/flimsier ones have bounced more for a given amount of shoulder strap tension. It's possible that newer/better lightweight packs are more stable, and I'm sure the way it is packed makes a difference.

I've had several packs, some lighter than others. The lighter/flimsier ones have bounced more for a given amount of shoulder strap tension. It's possible that newer/better lightweight packs are more stable, and I'm sure the way it is packed makes a difference.
    Maybe I just don't have as many comparison packs as you. I would say though that lightweight makes a big difference to me, during and after the ski day. Can't see myself going back to a heavier pack.
    Great photos, btw.

If I'll simply put (for instance) only shovel, probe, walkie-talkie radio and full 1 L Nalgene into the main compartment of 25L Ascencionist - without any additional internal organization, cases, compression straps, etc. it will, definitely. And I'm not sure that radio will survive even one mogul run in this configuration.
    So if I'll have to I will use some of my *tricks* (to protect fragile things like radio's LCD-screen, stabilize massive Nalgene bottle, isolate sharp metal edges of shovel blade/handle/probe, protect my back from impacts of heavy and uneven objects and compress the load close to my back). And it works like this for me.

In case of Osprey/Deuter/... generally you have bottle pocket for bottle, shovel handle and shovel blade pockets for shovel handle and blade, and radio pocket for radio (all with #10 YKK zippers and 400D Cordura). So less things to worrie about, but more things to carry.

So all this lightweight stuff is not for everybody, for sure. Question of ballance.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    If I'll simply put (for instance) only shovel, probe, walkie-talkie radio and full 1 L Nalgene into the main compartment of 25L Ascencionist - without any additional internal organization, cases, compression straps, etc. it will, definitely. And I'm not sure that radio will survive even one mogul run in this configuration.
    So if I'll have to I will use some of my *tricks* (to protect fragile things like radio's LCD-screen, stabilize massive Nalgene bottle, isolate sharp metal edges of shovel blade/handle/probe, protect my back from impacts of heavy and uneven objects and compress the load close to my back). And it works like this for me.

In case of Osprey/Deuter/... generally you have bottle pocket for bottle, shovel handle and shovel blade pockets for shovel handle and blade, and radio pocket for radio (all with #10 YKK zippers and 400D Cordura). So less things to worrie about, but more things to carry.

So all this lightweight stuff is not for everybody, for sure. Question of ballance.
    Good points. For my routine, 95% of the time that the skis are on my back , I'm packing (not wearing) a down vest and a synthetic hooded jacket. The jacket expands nicely to fill the space available. If I'm packing a lot of gear, I'll stuff the hood, one arm and a lot of the body into the other arm. This serves as a quasi stuff sack and conserves a lot of space. If I'm not packing a lot, I might just leave the jacket loose. Either way, the shovel handle and probe act as extra framing, the clothes help to push the skis away from my back. It's pretty stable.

This may be considered obvious but in my experience I can get by with a lighter pack when most of my time is spent skinning and I don’t have additional tools rope etc.

I have a cilogear 30/30 and its awesome even for multi day trips with the gear pocket addition. But when I need to carry skis and sometimes boots the pack gets overwhelmed.

For tours where I know I’ll be putting skis on my pack for extended time I’ll always prefer a beefy pack with a good frame system.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bumping this up. So many opinions in this thread. Currently using a Norronna Lyngen 35L for day trips. IDK, maybe I carry too much shit. Avy gear + axe + boot crampons + ski crampons + skins + tiny little first aid kit + helmet + super light shell + 2-3L of water + potential 1-2 hours of dirt walking with skis/boots attached to pack = that fucker hurts my back. And it's packed full.

Probably doing an overnighter next weekend, so I need to add my small MSR stove, a bit of food, a super light sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a tarp.

I want light, but I also want shoulder/hip straps that aren't a single piece of nylon webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Bumping this up. So many opinions in this thread. Currently using a Norronna Lyngen 35L for day trips. IDK, maybe I carry too much shit. Avy gear + axe + boot crampons + ski crampons + skins + tiny little first aid kit + helmet + super light shell + 2-3L of water + potential 1-2 hours of dirt walking with skis/boots attached to pack = that fucker hurts my back. And it's packed full.

Probably doing an overnighter next weekend, so I need to add my small MSR stove, a bit of food, a super light sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and a tarp.

I want light, but I also want shoulder/hip straps that aren't a single piece of nylon webbing.
    Yeah, light packs are overrated for skiing.
    I have a McHale day pack and, though it's 3.7 lbs, it carries really well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ummm, those McHale packs look nice, but $700+. Holy fuck. I'm not a dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ummm, those McHale packs look nice, but $700+. Holy fuck. I'm not a dentist.
    Me neither, but I bought mine in 2008 and it still rocks, and I use it a lot.
    I would've gone thru 3 packs in ten years.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

I know there has been some discussion here on Exped-Packs and therefore I wanted to leave this here:

Exped Whiteout Dyneema Pack - http://www.outdoor-show.de/od-de/pre...6&sMode=detail

no ski attachment but very similar to the Serac / black Ice so maybe there will be a ski-oriented version of this.

Anyone Have any experience with the Mammut Trion Light 38 or 50?

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    Pardon, some glitch. Just some cord on the front, and standard buckles on the back.Attachment 223324
    How utilitarian is that "generous front pocket" for a shovel blade, shovel handle, probe, ski skins? What's the size limitation for the shovel blade?

Quote Originally Posted by aepeak View Post
    How utilitarian is that "generous front pocket" for a shovel blade, shovel handle, probe, ski skins? What's the size limitation for the shovel blade?
    Front pocket is deep enough for flat square shovel blade. Other than that - nope. No place for long (probe, shovel handle) or bulky (fat long skins) items. Will measure the pocket later.

I will also say that the front pocket isn't pleated, and thus when the bag is full it can be quite hard to take things out of it. Similar problems with the Alpha FL packs. Its definitely usable for avy gear, but probably only if the bag is kept below 80% full.

I've now used my Serac 45 and my Black Ice 30 quite a bit, and I really like them. Mostly been using the 45 for cragging, and it actually carries heavier loads better than originally anticipated. The 30 is my main ski pack and has been great as well. Without an avy pocket organization can get a bit tricky, but its been perfect for the days when my X-Alp 20 is just a bit too small.

as this thread popped up again: Anybody has modded an Ice tool attachment to the Arcteryx SK 32 yet? What are your experiences on this?

I am planning on doing a mod similar to the Alpha FL attachement but I am wondering where I could get this little metal piece...

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    as this thread popped up again: Anybody has modded an Ice tool attachment to the Arcteryx SK 32 yet? What are your experiences on this?

I am planning on doing a mod similar to the Alpha FL attachement but I am wondering where I could get this little metal piece...
    https://www.mountain-equipment.com/axe-head-toggle-x2

AXE HEAD TOGGLE (X2) from Mountain Equipment.

To be honest, it seems easy enough to make one. I'm thinking about adding it to my Patagonia Descensionist pack.

Ended up going with Patagonia because of the price on sale...

To be honest, it seems easy enough to make one. I'm thinking about adding it to my Patagonia Descensionist pack.

Those are pretty slick. You just girth hitch them to the pack? You'd need a loop or daisy chain there or would need to sew one in?
    Still, for that price, I'd be tempted to avoid the DIY bug. Great find. Thanks.

That was what I was looking for. Thank you.

But same problem over at Patagonia - Aescensionist has them Descensionist not.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    That was what I was looking for. Thank you.

But same problem over at Patagonia - Aescensionist has them Descensionist not.
    I think the Descensionist has an ax carry on one side, so you'd just need to add the toggle for a second ax. Would be interested to hear how high up the jury-rigged side carried the ax. Looks like, without sewing, it'd be a few cm higher than the integrated side?