Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I am just preferring the toggle because I think it is easier to remove the axe with the pack on. I saw a system that seems nice, too, but would require a carabiner...

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I am just preferring the toggle because I think it is easier to remove the axe with the pack on. I saw a system that seems nice, too, but would require a carabiner...
    The toggle is really slick. I prefer it too.

Quote Originally Posted by aepeak View Post
    https://www.mountain-equipment.com/axe-head-toggle-x2

AXE HEAD TOGGLE (X2) from Mountain Equipment.

To be honest, it seems easy enough to make one. I'm thinking about adding it to my Patagonia Descensionist pack.

Ended up going with Patagonia because of the price on sale...
    Want. Anyone in the USA sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Want. Anyone in the USA sell it?
    https://shop.alpineinstitute.com/

American Alpine Institute is a Mountain Equipment dealer. I bought my Super Alpine gloves from AAI in Bellingham. I'd imagine they can source this for you.

In regards to the Patagonia Descensionist pack, the daisy chain runs pretty low towards the base of the pack so you could probably girth hitch those Mount Equipment toggles. The Descensionist has a standard ice axe loop on the left side and a larger loop for diagonal ski carry on the right side... Otherwise, the carabiner trick from Exped works.
    Last edited by aepeak; 12-14-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by aepeak View Post
    How utilitarian is that "generous front pocket" for a shovel blade, shovel handle, probe, ski skins? What's the size limitation for the shovel blade?
    Front pocket on Exped Serac 35 is 32cm deep, and tapers in width from 30cm at zipper level to 22cm at the bottom.
    It is pleated (~4cm) but to the main (internal) pack's volume.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181215_101206.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	260143

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post

Name:	20181215_101206.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	260143
    Thanks! I ended up going with Patagonia's pack. Every pack has it's pros and cons (Patagonia only has ice axe loops), but I can always get creative without those ice axe loops...use Mountain Equipment toggles...

For a single day ski pack, anyone have comparisons/preferences for: Patagonia Decensionist 32L vs. Black Diamond Cirque 35 vs. Cilogear 30z?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    For a single day ski pack, anyone have comparisons/preferences for: Patagonia Decensionist 32L vs. Black Diamond Cirque 35 vs. Cilogear 30z?
    I’ve been using the Decensionist for a couple of months now. It seems a very well thought out design, with no issues. Compared to my limited knowledge of the Cilo and BD designs, I’m appreciating the large (room for a full sized shovel and my skins), easily accessible (don’t have to open the body of the pack), and rear mounted gear pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’ve been using the Decensionist for a couple of months now. It seems a very well thought out design, with no issues. Compared to my limited knowledge of the Cilo and BD designs, I’m appreciating the large (room for a full sized shovel and my skins), easily accessible (don’t have to open the body of the pack), and rear mounted gear pocket.
    LOL.

This was your previous opinion of the pack when I posted a first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Compared to high performance skiing specific packs from Salomon, Camp, and Dynafit this is far too heavy, top weighted, and cluttered with unnecessary features to be taken seriously. But at least it's twice the price of similar generic packs.
    Glad you're enjoying it. I've put about 60 days on it skiing, big days in the alpine and traveling. Really like its versatility.

Can't speak for the pata or cilo, but the Cirque is perfectly dialed for touring. Haven't tested its versatility, but for just skiing and no overnights, there's nothing I'd change about that pack. Fast transitions and well organized for a minimal pack. I actually prefer the tool pocket inside the main body (with the caveat that its just as quick to access as an exterior pocket), as I can stuff skins and wet stuff while accessing food/layers. Never liked the front pocket/rear pocket dance though it seems every generic day touring pack disagrees with me. Swingarm is cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I have the Alpine Threadworks Selkirk 45 and the Rockies Rolltop. The latter at 35l is 700g and does what you want in re diagonal carry. It's also exceptionally waterproof

http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/pro...s-rolltop.html

I know this isn't skitouring but I used the Selkirk pack (35l) for a 4 night/5 day bikepack and had no issues. I've used this same pack and the Rockies Rolltop for 3day 2 night ski tours.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Self-s...list-2013.html

Picture here

I was just on a trip that Neil was guiding with some of his repeat customers, I noticed they were all using his packs, each one was custom made/finished with different straps layouts and he had he had monogrammed their initials into the back of each one

It just strikes me now that I should have tried one on

great guides, great food, great crew, good trip !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    LOL.

This was your previous opinion of the pack when I posted a first impression.

Glad you're enjoying it. I've put about 60 days on it skiing, big days in the alpine and traveling. Really like its versatility.
    Nice catch. I was indulging in a minimalist obsession for a while there, but eventually came back around to appreciating the extra capacity.

My beloved alpine threadworks sellkirk pack was stolen last year. Neil’s site says he’s 18 months out on new orders.

Seems like the closest things on the market today are the bd cirque 45 (avy pocket doesn’t open to outside) and deuter freescape 40+ (don’t need the back zipper thing and reviews say it’s small for overnights).

Any other ideas? Anybody ever seen an otterbody threadworks pack?

I just want a minimalist top loader that has an external avy pocket I can shove skins into and no extra fiddle faddles

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been getting ads about the new Hyperlite ski pack and saw that it had an external avy gear pocket. Otherwise I don't know anything about it except some jong of a mag was involved with the development.

Edit: but I think it's bigger than 45L

I don’t think there are any lightweight packs that big with external avy tool pockets. The closest packs to your criteria are the Blue Ice Firecrest 38 and the apocalypse ski sac. Or go custom with Alpine Luddites

Maybe this? It does have the back zip thingy, but otherwise it's no nonsense:

https://www.macpac.co.nz/macpac-huka...ck/120760.html

Interesting to see the new HMG offering. I like that it’s big but the avy pocket just seems like an afterthought.

Has anyone used an apocalypse bag? Is the quality / durability there?

Funny how quickly it goes niche to get a pack like this! Is it that fiddle faddles sell well?

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Interesting to see the new HMG offering. I like that it’s big but the avy pocket just seems like an afterthought.
    I've used an HMG Porter as a minimalist ski bag for a bit - it's definitely extremely comfortable and lightweight. Without a dedicated avy gear pocket the main drawback was always figuring out how to store a shovel and probe inside in a way that was A) immediately accessible and B) not going to puncture or tear other items inside the bag. The rear of the pack is really contoured to the user's back and is difficult to efficiently store straight items like a shovel handle and probe against. I ended up doing this most of the time though, and it ate up a lot of bag space and wasn't as quickly accessible as I think it should be.

It seems to me that, within the confines of the porter style of bag, an external avy gear pocket is the best solution. As long as that pocket stays closed (and they must have tested this), I think the new HMG headwall pack will be a winner.

I've ordered one to replace my porter.
    Last edited by flyingskiguy; 10-06-2022 at 11:33 PM.

35-45 L touring pack under 1 KG - does it exist?

As a longtime HMG Porter pack user I made the switch to an Apocalypse Equipment Sac ski pack and have been extremely happy with it. Super easy to store avy equipment and access via side zip and cinch closure at top. Also I feel the ultra 400/800 is a much better material than HMG 150d in every way

Not if it's been discussed in this thread before but I love my MHW Snoskiwoski. Came out last year. Checks almost every box.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/s...k-1945771.html

HMG now has a lot of instagram hype, it may be good but overpriced and quality has gone down since they started from what I have heard. They are also no longer made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    They are also no longer made in the USA.
    This could be a good thing as their American sewing has been sub-par IME.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    This could be a good thing as their American sewing has been sub-par IME.
    Yeah, more of a note on how they used to heavily advertise it, not necessarily quality.

Name:	IMG_8676.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	429033
    This might not be totally on topic of finding a pack to purchase, but I’m a HMG Porter guy, and made this thing for tool organization. It moves to any other pack quickly too, and i just put it against the back panel at whatever height keeps it accessible with the day’s load. I haunt ebay for used HMG’s made of fully woven Dyneema, it’s the only fabric they used that’s worth risking in the cascades. The 150 laminate is fine for light backpacking, but sharps and schwacking it gets worked.

I’m enjoying the suggestions though, it’s amazing how many smaller builders are out there i still don’t know about.

Gravity always wins...

I'd looked at the snowskiwoski - how are you feeling about durability? That alpine threadworks pack was bomber - my buddy completely wore through the 150d material on another MHW pack during the I used the AT pack