Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Looks like your "hot forged" hook will outlast a dozen of packs)) rock solid.

I've found the OG ascensionist's chest strap construction naturally well suited for this kind of hook attachment, with enough friction to hold the bungee tight with skis on and fast&easy deploy/undeploy to save from the hook dangling around.
    Also use it even more often for gloves/buff/poles than for the skis and ended up adding this kind of bungee loop for every pack in my quiver.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	213297

Name:	999.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	213298

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	213299

My first version bungee was teared badly in couple of days of use by rough top-sheet or ski edges, so be sure to check any possible hotspots and protect it.

Edit: for permanent bungee-hook attachment I'd better use tight thread winding + glue (or seamgrip) that will create clean and flat joint.

Name:	IMG_1205.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	213314
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 10-06-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Va Ki Bo View Post
    Looks like your "hot forged" hook will outlast a dozen of packs)) rock solid.

I've found the OG ascensionist's chest strap construction naturally well suited for this kind of hook attachment, with enough friction to hold the bungee tight with skis on and fast&easy deploy/undeploy to save from the hook dangling around.
    Also use it even more often for gloves/buff/poles than for the skis and ended up adding this kind of bungee loop for every pack in my quiver.
    Thanks for the tips. Good extra use of the bungee to temporarily stow gear and keep it from dropping in the snow.

Toddball and will-a, I was thinking of using a rethreaded figure-8.

If you prefer the knots - half of double fisherman's knot (or Scafford knot) is generally most compact and neat for that kind of purpose.

Edit: for permanent bungee-hook attachment I'd better use tight thread winding + glue (or seamgrip) that will create clean and flat joint.

Name:	IMG_1205.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	213314
    What's the process for this? Just wrap tightly and seamgrip? Any special thread or technique? Thanks. The knots are bulkier than what your photo is showing.

Yes, just consistent tight wrap with impregnated thread.
    It is easier to start with a couple of constrictor knots just to immobilize the patch, fix the ends of the bungee somehow to free both of your hands, apply some seamgrip, wrap, fix thread's end, more seamgrip for glossy finish)) (the objective here is to fully impregnate bungee sheath and thread).
    Generally use nylon thread that will make it stronger than metal.

Last night, I loaded up into the Patagucci 25L Ascensionist everything I want/need to carry that is usually in my Dynafit 35L. Lo and behold it fit. Shell, vest, hooded puffy, spare pair of gloves, two hats, goggles, thermos, skins, ski crampons, probe, and shovel.
    Thoughts:
    The fit of the shovel blade was decent; but I see why people want compartments. The handle and probe slotted in nicely on opposite sides and I could easily remove and repack them without any sleeves or guides. But everything else felt like Fred Flintstone's closet.
    It is noticeably lighter than my Dynafit Cho Oyu.
    It is less comfortable.
    I could get the skis to balance almost perfectly vertically on the left side.
    Diagonal carry was more difficult. Will take some tinkering with the fit. I used a tied off old sling from the last daisy chain on the back as a bottom loop and it felt wobbly and/or extended.
    VKB, any tips on rigging the ski hook for diagonal carry?
    Also, I wonder if the Asensionist 30L will solve the overstuffed closet problem. Could be the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Alpine Threadworks Selkirk Light is a good choice @775g for 35L. http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/pro...irk-light.html
    I have the 45L version, which is large enough for overnights with glacier gear. Neil (owner of Alpine Threadworks) has amazing customer service, and each pack is custom-made for your back length, which results in a good fit at a reasonable price. I had him add 3 compression straps to each side of my pack for A-frame carry. Edit: missed your need for a diagonal carry, but Neil will custom make a lot of stuff, so you could ask him about it. But personally, I think A-frame is more secure for bootpacking, especially in high winds.
    I have the Alpine Threadworks Selkirk 45 and the Rockies Rolltop. The latter at 35l is 700g and does what you want in re diagonal carry. It's also exceptionally waterproof

http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/pro...s-rolltop.html

I know this isn't skitouring but I used the Selkirk pack (35l) for a 4 night/5 day bikepack and had no issues. I've used this same pack and the Rockies Rolltop for 3day 2 night ski tours.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Self-s...list-2013.html

Picture here

Last edited by LeeLau; 10-13-2017 at 11:04 AM.

I feel guilty posting this after the Alpine Threadworks pack.

This is a light 40L pack at 700gm. Also reasonably cheap. Doesn't carry well due to being so floppy when not full. Will tear on branches and with abrasion. Generally not durable for repeated rough times in mountains. I use it occasionally as a pack for touring from a basecamp, when I don't want to carry in the bulk or weight of a normal day pack in addition to my basecamp pack. When you remove the foam backboard, it rolls up to be very low volume in your bigger 70L pack (which sucks for skiing day trips from camp). It is basically a very fancy stuff sack.

https://www.montbell.us/products/dis...1&p_id=1123823
    Life is not lift served.

35-45 L touring pack under 1 KG - does it exist?

I have a 20l mont bell pack that's more of a scramble pack but it's a functional design that holds more than some 30+l packs I've had. Very light so I had compression straps sewn on for a traverse pack to be able to cram it in the large trip pack. It has a gaiter(?)for the main body under the hood with the extra strap with fast x buckle to secure a rope as well.They build nice light stuff. Had a few of their jackets too. Surprised I don't hear more from them .
    Picked up the 35l alpine thread works pack a couple years ago. I ordered it with the internal probe tube and shovel handle tube in each corner. Tucks them in the corner out of the way and ez to get at and minimalist. I'd always used a frame but tried the diagonal with this and it's working great. Quick set up. I have a long torso so I really appreciate the custom fit. Easily the most comfortable pack I've had. It stays put squarely on my back. Some day I'd like to get the 45l for longer trips

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Last night, I loaded up into the Patagucci 25L Ascensionist everything ...
    From my experience with Ascensionist 25 it is too soft structured and short for A-frame or diagonal ski carry and tend to be collapsed by heavy long skis, unless it is fully and tightly stuffed.
    For diagonal I used kind of a cordalette attached to the waist belt attachment points and lace it through the lowest daisy chains (through all four of them) and long ski straps through the haul loop and/or one of the shoulder straps at the top. It is also more convenient to have some kind of "on-the-go" tension regulation (voile strap) to tune pendulum control vs comfort.

I think it is worth to sew permanently kind of an anchor point at the top of shoulder if diagonal carry is essential

Name:	8_.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	213764

[QUOTE=LeeLau;5124423]
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I have the Alpine Threadworks Selkirk 45 and the Rockies Rolltop. The latter at 35l is 700g and does what you want in re diagonal carry. It's also exceptionally waterproof
    Thanks. Great option.

From my experience with Ascensionist 25 it is too soft structured and short for A-frame or diagonal ski carry and tend to be collapsed by heavy long skis, unless it is fully and tightly stuffed.
    For diagonal I used kind of a cordalette attached to the waist belt attachment points and lace it through the lowest daisy chains (through all four of them) and long ski straps through the haul loop and/or one of the shoulder straps at the top. It is also more convenient to have some kind of "on-the-go" tension regulation (voile strap) to tune pendulum control vs comfort.

I think it is worth to sew permanently kind of an anchor point at the top of shoulder if diagonal carry is essential
    Thanks. I'm going to test the vertical carry and see how it feels after 1,000'. It just snapped into place in the basement and felt surprisingly snug. I will very likely grab an Ascensionist 30 to experiment with once the season begins.

For those who don't want to mess around making their own ski hook:

http://www.subqdesigns.com/shop/Ski-Mo-Clip-p62286302

Quote Originally Posted by viglio View Post
    For those who don't want to mess around making their own ski hook:

http://www.subqdesigns.com/shop/Ski-Mo-Clip-p62286302
    Slick. Thanks.

Just picked up an Exped Black Ice 30L for daytouring and a Serac 45 for multiday trips.

Initial impressions: The build quality on both is quite nice (almost, if not as good as the Arc’teryx Alpha FL series). Weight is right, and the fabric feels like the perfect blend of being light while still durable. Sizing wise each feels like it tends to run a bit larger than the stated size (the 30L is as big, if not bigger than my old Dynafit Manaslu 35). My guess is that if you roll up the roll top closure 3 times and cinch things down a bit you’re still at the stated 30/45L. You could probably do one roll of the top and just clip it together to get an extra 5L of space.

Ski carry tail loop is quite nice, and easily adjustable. The top ski carry strap is longer and a bit more secure on the Serac. Would be nice if the Black Ice one was about another 8 inches longer, as you could wrap it around the skis a second time to get a tighter fit. Tempted to try and create a hook style skimo attachment as outlined here but it is a bit more complicated without the daisy chains on the shoulder straps that the Patagonia Ascensionist has. Would likely need to add a load bearing attachment that could be tricky.

The carabiners on the top closure are of fairly low quality. Might try to find a similar fakebiner and replace them. Tempted to cut off the buckle closure system once I do that, as the buckles are redundant.

Likely will sow in a probe/shovel sleeve in the Black Ice. Swapped out the waist buckle to a classic buckle. Will add my CAMP water bottle holder to the shoulder sleeve. Curious to see how it carries, but I think the Black Ice 30 in particular checks all the boxes I was looking for originally and feels durable enough to last for quite a while (definitely feels more sturdy than the Ascensionist, but only time will tell).

Quote Originally Posted by Practitioner View Post
    Ski carry tail loop is quite nice, and easily adjustable. The top ski carry strap is longer and a bit more secure on the Serac. Would be nice if the Black Ice one was about another 8 inches longer, as you could wrap it around the skis a second time to get a tighter fit. Tempted to try and create a hook style skimo attachment as outlined here but it is a bit more complicated without the daisy chains on the shoulder straps that the Patagonia Ascensionist has. Would likely need to add a load bearing attachment that could be tricky.
    Thanks for the notes. I wonder if the skimo hook could just be attached to a simple strap looped under the chest strap(s). Maybe as simple as girthhitching the bungee to a Voile strap?

Thanks for the notes. I wonder if the skimo hook could just be attached to a simple strap looped under the chest strap(s). Maybe as simple as girthhitching the bungee to a Voile strap?
    Attaching it to the chestloop could work, but theres no convenient spot there. There is a small sown in loop that seems quite solid where the bottom of the shoulder strap connects to the webbing, and you could attach a bungie here for sure. It would be a bit lower than the Ascenionist solution shown above, so it might be necessary to add in a strap going around the shoulder strap a bit higher to keep the bungie and hook in line with the shoulder strap as it goes higher, but that’s a lot less complicated than sowing in a weight bearing strap to attach the hook to.

Attaching it to the chestloop could work, but theres no convenient spot there. There is a small sown in loop that seems quite solid where the bottom of the shoulder strap connects to the webbing, and you could attach a bungie here for sure. It would be a bit lower than the Ascenionist solution shown above, so it might be necessary to add in a strap going around the shoulder strap a bit higher to keep the bungie and hook in line with the shoulder strap as it goes higher, but that’s a lot less complicated than sowing in a weight bearing strap to attach the hook to.
    I was thinking of just girth hitching the shoulder strap below the chest strap. Once the chest strap is connected, the bungee couldn't rise above it, and you'd be close to ideal height if a bit low. With the girth hitch, you wouldn't have to sew anything while you experimented with length. This removes the need for the Voile strap as well.

The carabiners on the top closure are of fairly low quality. Might try to find a similar fakebiner and replace them. Tempted to cut off the buckle closure system once I do that, as the buckles are redundant.
    I wonder if you could replace the biners with real but light biners (like the Petzl Ange S). I like the idea of having the pack biners available for real world use (rapping, anchors) in a pinch.

I wonder if you could replace the biners with real but light biners (like the Petzl Ange S). I like the idea of having the pack biners available for real world use (rapping, anchors) in a pinch.
    Unfortunately the Ange S biners don't fit in the webbing where the carabiners are attached to the top of the pack. An Edelrid 19g might work, but i can see the notches on those biners getting snagged on the attachment points to the pack.

Will likely try to extend the ski attachment strap before adding a skimo style one. Should be much simpler and i think if extended so it can fully loop around the skis once then it will be quite secure.

Overall impressions after a week of light non-skiing use is that the pack is great. Carries quite well for the lack of frame, hip belt, and supports. Wish they had the Serac in the 30L size though - for 80% of my skiing, I find 25L a bit small, and the 35L a bit large.

Spotted some photos on the interwebz.
    Looks like new arcteryx ski-pack prototype. Kind of a combo of Alpha FL and BD Cirque with side zipper access.

Name:  arcs1.png
Views: 1180
Size:  203.3 KB

Name:	arcs2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	219660

Name:  arcs.png
Views: 1109
Size:  106.8 KB

Update 10/01/2018: Arcteryx Alpha SK 32 (Rush FL 32?)
    Name:  rush_fl-32.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  335.9 KB
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 01-16-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Spotted some photos on the interwebz.
    Looks like new arcteryx ski-pack prototype. Kind of a combo of Alpha FL and BD Cirque with side zipper access.
    Nice find, looks interesting. Looks like no dedicated ski carry though (second picture shows the top attachment point to be done with a ski strap, not sure about the bottom one). Kind of a bummer there, as I was hoping for a skimo style attachment. Looks like no hip pockets as well.

Back to an earlier point in this thread, I picked up an Exped Black Ice 30L and have had a few days out on it. So far I'm pretty impressed. I added a MLD hip pocket which has been perfect for glasses and food, as well as a Dynafit water bottle holder (will hopefully replace with a CAMP SFC holder soon). With those two addons I don't miss the side zipper access of other similar, slightly heavier packs, and the pack still probably weighs just over 700g, which is pretty close to my Salomon X-Alp 20 that I use for shorter days. Ski attachment has worked pretty well, and definitely feels quite secure, although a longer piece of webbing would allow me to wrap the skis a second time and would probably be even more secure. I'd say the pack carries surprisingly well, but agree with other posters that above the 30L size this pack design can start to feel a bit inadequate. Only other significant downside is that running my BCA radio wire out of the roll top closure is a bit tricky, although it definitely still works and likely doesnt really compromise the waterproofing.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Excited to see what Arc'teryx comes up with, but based on these pictures I'm not sure if it will offer much of an improvement over the Black Ice. Side zip would be nice, but probably ends up making me less efficient as it encourages going into my pack a bit more frequently...

Better shot of the new Arcteryx Pack:
    https://gearjunkie.com/roundup/outdo...nedFreeskiPack

Name:  ALPHA-SK-32-Backpack-3_4-700x700.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  78.2 KB