Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    2nd virtue? Super fun zone and great alternative to tracked out hidden. Been riding bridger for almost 19 years and still find new shit all the time(sometimes on purpose!)

The ultra classic Hidden Gully at BB

I'll take 2 orders, please.

D-Route
    Name:  12794484_10153872270152348_6644183685760538312_n.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  79.1 KB

Aerial View
    Name:  2a6e3fba-fb79-4f94-bf0d-53284145dcb3.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  146.5 KB
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Good bud crazyskir05 in yellow pants, green jacket, white helmet. This guy will be on deck as prime tour guide.... right, J?
    For sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    That traverse they cross at the end !!! PULL UP PULL UP !! :-P
    It's a actually big dip at the end which is what kills you.

18BBi Bozeman: B-Team Tryouts, March 2/3/4, 2018

Is there any way to avoid that dip? Run looks like a nice little zip, but that hole at the end seems like a one way ticket to Snap City

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Is there any way to avoid that dip? Run looks like a nice little zip, but that hole at the end seems like a one way ticket to Snap City

Speed is never what gets you, it's the rapid deceleration afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Don't be the idiot who hurts himself in October. Yes, the snow starts to stick then. Yes the Ridge can get a big dump. Someone always seems to find some coulier full of old snow and just enough new to cover up the rocks or to sweep them down over the old crust (and rocks). Be careful.
    http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/0...g-acl-minutes/

^^Did you maybe miss the very last line of that story?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Of course not

Are you in Bozeman now?
    zoo

Damn I miss Bozeman and BB/Big Sky. I was there winters 2011-2016. Both are amazing and very contrasting mountains. The skiing off the tram is fast and fun, the ridge mostly tight technical.
    Make sure to hit Momma Mac's on your way up to big sky for breakfast (tip: call it in so you can just run in and grab it). Paradise/Stump farm are usually untouched and have some fun turns to be had if you're doing hot laps on swifty. The Gullies are kick ass on a good day and have some decently sendable things on em. But watch out for the traverses under them across the bowl.
    Saber slice at BB has claimed many. It looks easy but it spits you right into traverses with a couple young pines right in your line if you don't make the turn. I've seen a few femurs go snap on em.

Actually it sucks don't go there....

Word, I still have your coffee mug.

Norse, how do you know so much about BB? Did you live in Bozeman for a while?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Slushman's is like it's own bonus-gnar resort on the fringe and has more of an ever-shifting character with its wind exposure and no grooming...
    QFT.

Child of Bridger... 21 seasons before becoming a square and moving away at age 24. There's a lot of shit I don't know about the place and maybe never will. A good portion of the terrain immediately adopted a much different feel and rhythm when the Bridger lift got replaced/realigned in 2010, and again in 2013 with the Alpine split, so with some old habits clinging on, it still feels pretty new all over the place to me... with a few lines still matching the muscle memory. Slushman's is like it's own bonus-gnar resort on the fringe and has more of an ever-shifting character with its wind exposure and no grooming... again, a few familiar lines but some mystery there still for this cat.

///

North:

gorgeous pics!

Slushman's is like it's own bonus-gnar resort on the fringe and has more of an ever-shifting character with its wind exposure and no grooming... again, a few familiar lines but some mystery there still for this cat.
    Inside joke among the patrol is that there are 2 BBs. The original, and that resort down south (Slushies/Saddle)

This looks tempting. I think I'll try to make the trip.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

The "D Route" map could almost pass as a joke given the number of named runs that appear to be nothing more than a big ass cliff band (#24?). And how about #28, better bring your A game, and maybe a parachute. Never skied Bridger, it's on the bucket list though. Looks like too much fun, somewhere you certainly want a guide to make the most of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    The "D Route" map could almost pass as a joke given the number of named runs that appear to be nothing more than a big ass cliff band (#24?). And how about #28, better bring your A game, and maybe a parachute. Never skied Bridger, it's on the bucket list though. Looks like too much fun, somewhere you certainly want a guide to make the most of it though.
    Without posting the map, know one knows what you are talking about. Gotta link?

Local guide is key, no cliff signs or any signs on The Ridge to be found. And there are rocks everywhere on a normal year, a local can help you avoid some scraped out sketchy straightlines you can get funneled into unknowingly.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Without posting the map, know one knows what you are talking about. Gotta link?

Local guide is key, no cliff signs or any signs on The Ridge to be found. And there are rocks everywhere on a normal year, a local can help you avoid some scraped out sketchy straightlines you can get funneled into unknowingly.
    post #2

the above message has been Baker Bob approved

Ok, I'd better start adding a little depth. Stick with me here while I filter this in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some Bridger Bowl study material. Get to know it a little and prepare your mind and body. There are sometimes-hairy traverses and bootpacks, long return tracks from sidecountry, long fall lines, legit avalanche hazards (beacon required to ride one lift and for hiking), and bold locals putting tracks into consequential terrain... all making it an outstanding expert skier's hill, but one must be aware.

General introduction: the trail map.

Most of the upper mountain is steep and technical, tapering down into long, mellow groomers. The purple shaded area on the map is designated "ridge terrain", and is accessed from three points: a bootpack starting at the top of the Bridger lift puts you on the classic Ridge terrain, a shorter bootpack starting at the top of the Pierre's Knob lift serves the Fingers, and the Slushman's lift hauls you to the top of 1700' of un-groomed, un-marked mixed gnar.

The following set of images were published in a 2015 online guide: Bridger Bowl Terrain Guide. Most of them appear to have been taken late in the spring, which is nice because the prominent lines are well defined... but also a little misleading, because many more variations "go" in the winter when more of the rock bands are covered. You'll likely see fatter coverage in early March, but if the winter sucks then maybe not.

From North to South... the control route zones are named by letter. The highest lift, Slushmans (Schlasman's if you buy the dweebo marketers' attempt at renaming) is on the southern end of the resort and was built in 2008.

This thread used to be full of great stoke, but fucking photobucket wrecked it with their recent policy change: TR; This Last Weekend At Bridger

There are sill a few things worth learning in there.

Once things get to around 65-80 inch base, there are so many sneaks, lines within lines, spines, mini straightlines and airs that there ends up being a lot more cool stuff to put together than you seen on those maps that are really just basic generalizations of the terrain...

The biggest issue is, most of the really cool stuff is of the first, fast, and fucked variety for most mortals. There are great little spines that form with a series of denser storms that offer amazing little variations at times, but other times those are just slanted rock or cold smoke or sugar on rock. It just varies so much within the seasons and between different seasons. The best way to approach a lot of that stuff with a group of friends is to kind of "ski alone together", to fan out a bit and meet your partners where lines funnel back into the open areas. A lot of the really neat stuff just isn't that sick to follow people down, but by all means if you are of the young dumb and full of cum demographic, go nuts!

That is just one of the things about Bridger, it doesn't reveal the best of itself until you put in the effort to get to know what's beyond each horizon line for yourself, it takes time, trial, and error, but the rewards can be pretty sweet when you start building up some of your own little "go to's" for various conditions. At first, you just end up making a couple turns and stopping a bunch so it can feel small and broken up, but the more you can connect various blind rollovers, do little airs instead of traverses, etc, the fun increases exponentially.

The coolest thing is that after 15 yrs here and learning my own little go to's, I still have fantasy/dream lines in each zone of the mountain that when everything lines up right, it's just a matter of if I have the balls and the proper visualization to do it. I can unequivocally say that I will never in my lifetime do all that might even be possible for me, let alone what is now likely impossible, and that is more than enough to keep the obsession going, ullr willing.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Try the same zone as 23-27 but pictured in link as D6 and D3. It's not an exact match for lines but it is the same zone. It's not a full cliff like it seems in the map, but it's still kinda gnarly.

http://www.stepping-up.net/images/PDFSample.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    post #2
    Thanks Kai.

Sounds like a blast, I'll be out of town that weekend so I'm sure it will look like this

Have fun!!