Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I'm always looking for a reason to post my favorite commercial of all time:

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I'll admit to providing the entertainment a time or two. Best I saw was when the National Guard tried to launch an amphibious vehicle. Must have been 20" long and weighing 4 tons. The rear wheels of their trailer dropped off of back of the cement pad and sank in the mud. The bottom of the hull was still 2' above the water.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

A couple summers ago I got to witness my father-in-law get rid of this truck that he used to pull his boat in and out of the lake and replace it with a front wheel drive GMC crossover because he wanted to save on gas and didn't think he needed all-wheel-drive.

So of course comes a day when he has all of his kids and their kids down at the lake and he goes to pull that boat out on the slickest steepest ramp you've ever seen. The 25 foot deck boat and trailer just dragged that GMC, wheels screaming, back down the ramp time and time again. After initially laughing my ass off because he refused anyone else's help, and noticing that there was a solid line waiting for the ramp he was occupying I decided to go get a real truck that could pull his boat out.

But not before I caught him trying to take two of his grandchildren and have them push the rear bumper of his GMC shit box on the ramp not thinking about what would happen if the wheels got traction and where these kids were in relation to the boat trailer. Of course imediately ran over to stop this idiocy, for which I was told that I don't know what the hell I'm doing, that none of us know what the hell we are doing. I said fuck it grab the entire family and walk the 2 miles back to their house leaving him to fend for himself as more enraged hillbillies kept queing up to use the ramp.

I don't think he spoke to anyone for the rest of that week.

Now there's some economical entertainment!
    Last edited by BmillsSkier; 08-04-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    I still call it The Jake.

At my friend's launch they have valet or boat jockeys or whatever you call high school kids who do this as part of the fee. He specifically bought an old 3-on-the-tree Bronco so he wouldn't have to let the kids launch his boat. I wanted to check this out, so when we were there, he acted like a non-regular, (they knew all about his Bronco at this point), and the kid jumped in and then kinda looked around a bit. We took over pretty quick, no point in embarrassing him too much.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

heh...boat ramp shenanigoats + in law fail. Shit-grins up the wazoo :-D

Two that I can't believe haven't been mentioned:

Molly

Playing music

Maybe the two together

I'll add one. Bodysurfing with these womper copy handboards from Costco. Two for 15 bucks.

Back in the day we had to use lunch trays from McDonald's. Then a couple guys started getting plastic handboards. But nothing compares to these. You get just enough float to get up on a plane and get a lot more speed.

Playing an instrument. Can get a halfway decent used guitar on craigslist for <$100 that will last forever

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    NYC. Get in a yellow cab around Columbus Circle late at night and tell the driver you need to be at the Seaport in 10 minutes and if he gets you there you'll give him and extra $30. The most intense 10 minutes of your life.
    You can have a lot of fun in NYC for pretty cheap. Use subways (like $2.75/ride nowadays), Staten Island Ferry (free), $1 pizza anywhere, Museum of Natural History ('suggested donation' aka $1), get drunk at any dive looking bar in Brooklyn, ride the elevators at the Marriot near Times Square (free entertainment), Union Square, St. Marks, Central Park, Prospect Park, any bodega is gonna have a great turkey deli sandwich for like $5, get more drunk, then hit up dive bars in the evening for some good music for free or absolute max $5 cover (Ottos, B Sides, Hanks, Trash Bar - not sure how many of these still exist).

Night skiing and twilight golf are cheap and a lot less crowded. Some nights you can pretty much have the place to yourself.

If you find a good value on a used raft or drift boat you should be able to use it for 5 years and sell it for close to what you paid for it.
    https://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/d/...248739470.html

love night skiing. haven't gone since my son was born i think.

For the cost of a beer sit by the corner window at Bar of America in Truckee and watch the tourists try to figure out the 4-way/3-way stop intersection, especially towards evening when the cars coming north on brockway--the ones without a stop sign-- turn left into the sun. Much pricier but even more fun--stand on top of the Arc d'Triumph and watch the cars negotiate the traffic circle around it. Comparing the two it is clear that the French are much better drivers than Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post

regular ol sex
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    For the cost of a beer sit by the corner window at Bar of America in Truckee and watch the tourists try to figure out the 4-way/3-way stop intersection, especially towards evening when the cars coming north on brockway--the ones without a stop sign-- turn left into the sun. Much pricier but even more fun--stand on top of the Arc d'Triumph and watch the cars negotiate the traffic circle around it. Comparing the two it is clear that the French are much better drivers than Americans.
    Or maybe the Americans just need to replace their fucked up intersections with traffic circles?

Overall: Pick up sports. I mostly played basketball and soccer, but anything I ever played was fun. When I was playing a lot the cost was basically a pair of shoes every summer and that was it. On a good day there were few things more fun.

Back in the day it was LSD. $5 for a good dose and you were in another world for 8 hours.

No one mentioned posting on TGR, wtf. @ tipster, I got you covered on the A come on out and hang.

Posting GoT spoilers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Disc golf.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Back in the day it was LSD. $5 for a good dose and you were in another world for 8 hours.

more bang for the buck. i usually ended up writing for hours. i stopped 20+ years ago but still have the tiniest prehistoric urge to snowboard on it or something comparable but i doubt it will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i usually ended up writing for hours.
    For the love of god...no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    For the love of god...no!
    yup. too bad for you there was no tgr then.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Or maybe the Americans just need to replace their fucked up intersections with traffic circles?
    Truckee probably has more roundabouts per population of anyplace in America, with more planned. The problem with that intersection is that the road that doesn't have a stop sign crosses the railroad tracks a short distance before the intersection and they don't want traffic backing up onto the tracks. If they did put a roundabout there the cars entering from the south--the road that crosses the tracks--would have to have right of way, unlike every other roundabout where the cars already in it have right of way. That would confuse everyone. So for the time being, cheap entertainment for the locals. (In France cars entering the roundabout have ROW, due to priorite a droit.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Overall: Pick up sports. I mostly played basketball and soccer, but anything I ever played was fun. When I was playing a lot the cost was basically a pair of shoes every summer and that was it. On a good day there were few things more fun.
    Pickup sports on LSD. Don't knock it until you've tried it. I played soccer much better on LSD, or so god told me.

Going night putting on the local golf course with my HS girlfriend. Enter sleasy comment here about the pin placement or hole location. Needless to say the fun per price quotient was off the charts. Negative 500 Odgens.

Sent from my XT1053 using TGR Forums mobile app