New Wetsuit 3/2 vs 4/3

Well yeah another one of those useless threads, but I partly know what i want, so I hope i won't steal too much time. So im unsure whether to believe the marketing hype and buy a 3/2 Flashbomb and surf in 15-16 degree (Celsius, as I'm not surfing avalanches) water in Galicia (Spain, that is ) or whether i shall get the flash bomb 4/3 because the hype train has left the station without warmth.

I have to say I'm usually pretty cold and my 5 Year old mid Range O'neill 4/3 (from 2012), which was stolen in Galicia last year, felt pretty chilly in those waters, especially at the Costa Del Morte with it's cold current. So I'm not a hardcore Norcal Surf Dude who surfs Mavericks in January in a 3/2. AND I was wussified by years of Indo Excursions (I actually wore a Neo Top in 25°-26° Water because the sumatran Islands with their 28-30° Water had been so warm.)

--> I'm leaning to the 4/3. Am I right?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Do you ever wear a hood?
    That and priming my suit with a jug of warm water, really extents the range of my 3/2.

No. And to be honest i would not want to surf where I'd have to. My buddy always tries to convince me to go on a fall surf trip to Ireland and or Scotland. But that's not my cup of ice cream headache.

The 15-16°C is my limit. In winter I live 2 hours from some of the best skiing and bouldering in the alps so: no surfing anyway.

To get back to the original question: has wetsuit technology really advanced that far that a 3/2 May be feasible?

Go for the 4/3. You sound like me. I hate to be cold in the water. I get cold easy too.
    Funny. I can stay out all day in wet cold snow but the ocean freezes me
    A 4/3 doesn't weigh much more and it's got new technology so it will also be more flexible than your old 4/3.

New Wetsuit 3/2 vs 4/3

Depends on your body temp. I typically surf in a 4/3 Excell Infiniti in NorCal but our water usually is sitting in the mid 50s F (~13C), with boots. When we start to push into the upper 50s to 60 (15-16C), I wear my 2mil Flashbomb.

The Flashbomb is certainly much warmer than the Infiniti as far as tech goes.

But if you run cold, you may prefer the 4/3, especially for windy/cold/overcast days.

Do you wear boots? That can make a bigger difference than a hood. Also, there are some nice 1mm hoods out there that are not just for Ireland, but keep the breeze off your scalp. The

For my body, I don't find a 3/2 very useful. When it's warm enough for me to be uncomfortable in a 4/3, it's warm enough for me to be comfortable in shorts and a 1mil jacket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I went with the 3/2 e Bomb pro. The flash bomb was just too expensive and overkill for the mediocre surfer that I am. Water is around 17-18 in Galicia and 20 in Asturias so I guess I should be fine.

So could you please send some low pressure to new foundland and Greenland / iceland because the swell is abysmal here in Europe right now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app

Suits are pricey. I only have the 2mil flashbomb cause it was on sale for $99.

Would have been a bit chilly the other morning in shorts and vest.

Spent my youth surfing in New England. We had a quiver of suits. Shorts, shorty, 3/2, 4/3, 5mil, plus boots, gloves, vests and hoods. When the water temp ranges from upper 20sF to low 70sF, you need to be prepared.