Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ You really can't go wrong with any of the three. They're all great.
    Yup, just watch the snow reports before you go and go to the one with the best snow.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Yup, just watch the snow reports before you go and go to the one with the best snow.
    My vote is also to follow the snow to any of those three.

Man, this pass is amazing for someone who can travel and chase snow. I also wish there was one ski area on it close to Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    That is correct, we'll be coming from WA.

Looking at flights into DIA + rental car around that time may give us the incentive to drive the truck and camper. We'll most likely stick to MC destinations, simply because if we can find a place to park overnight, lodging is not part of the equation. However, looking at googlemaps, Taos only adds ~150 miles to the trip, so 10 gallons of diesel is not really a big deal if the skiing is going to be better.

We're willing to keep our options open, but we need to start planning now to arrange work schedules, etc.

How do y'all rank the three MC destinations in that region, conditions being equal?
    (For reference I grew up skiing Alta/Bird, if either makes a good reference for comparison.)
    1. Taos
    2. Telluride
    3. Aspen
    Those are the three best resorts in the region. I rank them Telluride, Aspen, Taos, Crested Butte in that order. They all rock. Taos and CB (not on collective pass) can be skied in 3 days and you won't feel guilty about moving on but they have the steepest shit ever and you'll leave wanting to come back to explore the stuff you couldn't find Also those two are going to ski small if they have low snow whereas T-Ride and Aspen will still have lots of terrain open in low snow. Telluride and Aspen take more than 3 days to really ski kind of like it takes a few days to feel like you skied out Alta/Bird. Taos probably does the best job of retaining snow quality during one of the frequent warm ups the west has been having lately but both CB and T-Ride have excellent north facing slopes that hold great snow.

T-Ride is my favorite though. It has it all. Good camping down the road a bit. Free parking next to a chairlift. Steeps that are tight, steeps that are open, steeps that are high alpine, steeps that require a hike, steeps that require a shovel, probe and balls of steel, steeps that face north, steeps that come all the way down into town, steeps through trees. Super pretty. Also easy to mix a day at Silverton in and I recommend it. I can't go back to Silverton yet having blown my acl there the season before last. I get PTSD just thinking about that place but it rocks.

On another note we are putting together our trip in January MLK week. Drive to SLC with wife and girl, ski Alta, Bird, Snowbasin a day each. Drop girl and wife at airport Tuesday night and then maybe head to Pinedale to ski White Pine. Just because I like hitting tiny ski areas. Then finish at Hostel in JH. Or if the snow goes south do T-Ride, Taos, or Aspen on the way back to Iowegia. Last year we did SLC then T-Ride, then Monarch on the January trip. Love the MC.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-22-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ You really can't go wrong with any of the three. They're all great.
    Agree. Love all three. Have had amazing days at each. I do dig the Aspen variety- Ajax is awesome and Highlands is underrated.

That is correct, we'll be coming from WA.

Looking at flights into DIA + rental car around that time may give us the incentive to drive the truck and camper. We'll most likely stick to MC destinations, simply because if we can find a place to park overnight, lodging is not part of the equation. However, looking at googlemaps, Taos only adds ~150 miles to the trip, so 10 gallons of diesel is not really a big deal if the skiing is going to be better.

We're willing to keep our options open, but we need to start planning now to arrange work schedules, etc.

How do y'all rank the three MC destinations in that region, conditions being equal?
    (For reference I grew up skiing Alta/Bird, if either makes a good reference for comparison.)
    1. Taos
    2. Telluride
    3. Aspen
    May I suggest the Southwest direct flight from SeaTac to Albuquerque?

We've been doing this circuit (PNW<->SWColorado) for a few years and it's the best deal for the flight as well as car rental out of Alb.

Then do the circuit: Sante Fe (1 day)->Taos(2 days)->Wolf Creek(1 day)->Telluride/Silverton (4 days)->X->Alb.

where X is an optional Crested Butte(2 days)->Monarch (1 day).

This year, #1nub doesn't want to miss school, so I'll be doing my usual Seattle->Ogden->Silverton trip solo insyead of avec famille starting around Feb 10 ending Feb 25 or so. This means that Sun Valley, Snow Basin, Alta/SB, Telluride are all in the sights with a potential slice down to Taos or over to Aspen depending on conditions. With Sv, Snow Basin, Alta, Snowbird, T'ride and Taos on the MC pass, there's a bunch of reasons for me to get one.

Telluride is my favorite resort overall, but Taos is such a great placed when they have snow, lots of interesting pockets and different aspects to ski. I only skied Aspen Highlands years ago for 4 days, so I can't really rank it, but I know I should go back.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    May I suggest the Southwest direct flight from SeaTac to Albuquerque?

We've been doing this circuit (PNW<->SWColorado) for a few years and it's the best deal for the flight as well as car rental out of Alb.

Then do the circuit: Sante Fe (1 day)->Taos(2 days)->Wolf Creek(1 day)->Telluride/Silverton (4 days)->X->Alb.

where X is an optional Crested Butte(2 days)->Monarch (1 day).

This year, #1nub doesn't want to miss school, so I'll be doing my usual Seattle->Ogden->Silverton trip solo insyead of avec famille starting around Feb 10 ending Feb 25 or so. This means that Sun Valley, Snow Basin, Alta/SB, Telluride are all in the sights with a potential slice down to Taos or over to Aspen depending on conditions. With Sv, Snow Basin, Alta, Snowbird, T'ride and Taos on the MC pass, there's a bunch of reasons for me to get one.

Telluride is my favorite resort overall, but Taos is such a great placed when they have snow, lots of interesting pockets and different aspects to ski. I only skied Aspen Highlands years ago for 4 days, so I can't really rank it, but I know I should go back.
    Good info. The primary reason for not flying is that we'll have to make several stops on the way home (SLC, SE Idaho.) Also very likely bringing the dog along for the trip.

Also here's some good info developing for RV camping at the Canadian destinations https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...47#post5107447

Good info. The primary reason for not flying is that we'll have to make several stops on the way home (SLC, SE Idaho.) Also very likely bringing the dog along for the trip.

Also here's some good info developing for RV camping at the Canadian destinations https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...47#post5107447
    Where at in SE Idaho?

Any of you guys thinking of adding another pass onto your MC to cover some more areas in CO/SLC? I was thinking about A-Basin (~$300-350), which also adds 3 days free at Taos. That would give 5 days at Taos, plus unlimited days through May.

Not sure I can make it worth it given the amount of time available to be off. Wondering what other people think...

Does the Collective actually sell out? Their website says it's "nearly sold out" right now.

Quote Originally Posted by keith-stone View Post
    Does the Collective actually sell out? Their website says it's "nearly sold out" right now.
    It means the price is about to go up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

They will stop selling it at some point. Usually early November?

Ahhhhh, okay thanks.

Is there a reason why everyone is going for the MC instead of the Max pass, other than price? Having access to some front range spots seems like it would work nicely for a lot of us.

Any thoughts on Fernie, kicking horse, kimberly(MAX) Vs. Banff, Revy, Lake Lousie? I am trying to do a road trip or 2 this season and probably just sleep in my truck, so any input on places in CO, MT, UT, WY, Canada and maybe OR would be helpful!

Edit to say I live in Denver, not Telluride, not sure how to change that

Quote Originally Posted by alect47 View Post
    Is there a reason why everyone is going for the MC instead of the Max pass, other than price? Having access to some front range spots seems like it would work nicely for a lot of us.

Any thoughts on Fernie, kicking horse, kimberly(MAX) Vs. Banff, Revy, Lake Lousie? I am trying to do a road trip or 2 this season and probably just sleep in my truck, so any input on places in CO, MT, UT, WY, Canada and maybe OR would be helpful!

Edit to say I live in Denver, not Telluride, not sure how to change that
    Mostly depends on what ski areas you want to go to. Neither is better or worse really. For me, I've skied all of the CO resorts on the Maxx (and get comps at a lot of them too) and most of the others around the country aren't really on my list of places I want to go. MC has Aspen, Telluride, Alta, Snowbird, and Jackson. Those right there are why I chose it. I'd love to hit up the Canadian or California resorts but don't know if it'll happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencon View Post
    Where at in SE Idaho?
    in-laws live in Idaho Falls. I usually try to make it to Jackson and Targhee for a day, or if that doesn't work out maybe we'll stop at Lookout/Silver on the way home.

in-laws live in Idaho Falls. I usually try to make it to Jackson and Targhee for a day, or if that doesn't work out maybe we'll stop at Lookout/Silver on the way home.
    Oh nice. I am out of Pocatello.. just 45 minutes south of IF. Theres a pretty cool ski area called Pebble Creek here, if you haven't checked it out already you should. Lots of hidden treasures

Just bought (with miles) my wife and 7 year old one way tickets home from SLC-->Moose, IA the day after MLK day (Jan 16th.) . 3 days in Oootah with them then freebird with a couple other dirtbags with JH, Taos, SV on the possible hit list the rest of the week depending on snow. T-Ride tickets are reserved for March madness. I know a yoop mag will be in JH late in the MLK week. Any other maggots on the loose? Someday I will hit a mid January sleeper powder cycle.

Stoked!
    Last edited by uglymoney; 10-18-2017 at 12:56 PM.

starting to plan the trip for me and skibee.

Will add a day in Bend/Batchler as I've always wanted to ski it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/223+J...9291!3e0?hl=en

Been doing MC since it started, prolly the best deal in skiing. May make a plan with my Canmore/VanGroovy crew to do another Powder Highway Revy/SSV/LL run with a day or two at Rogers Pass this year. My sis has a condo at SquAwlpine I can squat for a coupla days. If there's a Mammoth mini this spring, will try to make it out again. Quick hits to SV and/or JH are probable. Less likely, but possible W Colorado and/or NM run may be in the cards as well. Anyone interested in making intersecting itineraries, hit me up by PM.

Even if I don't leave town, the 5 days in LCC and 2 in SB are worth it for me regardless.

For mags coming to Ootah for either MC and/or MaxPass, you're welcome to crash at my place in BCC (walking distance to Soli) if you're not a total tool/jerkwad and so long as you don't think I'm a total tool/jerkwad.

Maybe we could get together a Mag MC Google Calendar where we can check on each other's ski plans to facilitate meetups.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Been doing MC since it started, prolly the best deal in skiing. May make a plan with my Canmore/VanGroovy crew to do another Powder Highway Revy/SSV/LL run with a day or two at Rogers Pass this year. My sis has a condo at SquAwlpine I can squat for a coupla days. If there's a Mammoth mini this spring, will try to make it out again. Quick hits to SV and/or JH are probable. Less likely, but possible W Colorado and/or NM run may be in the cards as well. Anyone interested in making intersecting itineraries, hit me up by PM.

Even if I don't leave town, the 5 days in LCC and 2 in SB are worth it for me regardless.

For mags coming to Ootah for either MC and/or MaxPass, you're welcome to crash at my place in BCC (walking distance to Soli) if you're not a total tool/jerkwad and so long as you don't think I'm a total tool/jerkwad.

Maybe we could get together a Mag MC Google Calendar where we can check on each other's ski plans to facilitate meetups.
    Totally down for this. I will be doing Powder Hwy in an RV with some friends Mar 9-18 if anyone wants to meetup.

Will also be in CO Dec 27-Jan 11 doing Aspen/Telluride/Taos...contingent on snow. May have to come over to UT or head north.

Looking at JH Feb 8-12 with hopefully a day or two of skimo.

The Sierras will probably be a spring trip for me and hopefully it will be another insane snow year there. Knock on wood.

I could make a calendar in the next few weeks.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    starting to plan the trip for me and skibee.

Will add a day in Bend/Batchler as I've always wanted to ski it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/223+J...9291!3e0?hl=en
    Looks like a fun road trip. Bachelor might still be selling discount 4-packs (or selling them again.)
    Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth are "local" for me. It would be fun to join you there.
    When looking at your route I see a few places along the way that you might want to check out. Mt. Charleston is just outside of Las Vegas and has some amazing side country for a small resort. Arizona Snowbowl outside of Flagstaff can also be fun.

The wife and I are putting together a trip to Jackson and coming back through Ootah, for early Feb. Trying to find a cheap place to stay for a few nights in Jackson ain't easy.

Any Jacksonites or Utardds wanna trade lodging for a few nights at a condo in Beaver Creek? Same offer for SLC? Doesn't have to be the same dates. It is a nice rental condo, not our home.

The wife and I are putting together a trip to Jackson and coming back through Ootah, for early Feb. Trying to find a cheap place to stay for a few nights in Jackson ain't easy.

Any Jacksonites or Utardds wanna trade lodging for a few nights at a condo in Beaver Creek? Same offer for SLC? Doesn't have to be the same dates. It is a nice rental condo, not our home.
    If you end up at a hotel for Jackson, I liked The Lexington - Google it for info. Low enough ($115ish), including a good breakfast, nice hot tub, nice rooms (smallish).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

This may sound strange, but, consider Driggs or Victor and skiing Targhee, too. You may be plasently surprised, especially if it dumps. If it doesn't, drive the pass.