Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I'm gonna be in Jackson starting around 12/30 for 9-10 days, burn the free days on the MCP and also do some touring. Will also be up in Reve for a few days around the third week of Jan, and likely back in Reve first or second week of Feb. Hoping to get a few days at Rogers Pass too, but it all depends on timing and conditions. Likely more MCP destinations to come, maybe Taos? I'll post here as plans evolve to see if anybody is around.

Family Christmas is taking place in Co Springs this year, we're hoping to catch one of the CO resorts just before the blessed event. Aspen is the obvious choice due to proximity. Is it worth the effort to make the trip to Telluride? Thinking about skiing/snow quality, inexpensive lodging, and prefer small/local to corporate dining/lodging.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Family Christmas is taking place in Co Springs this year, we're hoping to catch one of the CO resorts just before the blessed event. Aspen is the obvious choice due to proximity. Is it worth the effort to make the trip to Telluride? Thinking about skiing/snow quality, inexpensive lodging, and prefer small/local to corporate dining/lodging.

Thoughts?
    Not part of MCP, but consider Wolf Creek or Monarch for early season snow and a non-corporate vibe...

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Not part of MCP, but consider Wolf Creek or Monarch for early season snow and a non-corporate vibe...
    +1. Neither have towns, but you can stay in Salida for cheap which is a cool little town if you ski Monarch. With the cost of lodging in Aspen/Tride at Christmas, paying for lift tickets at WC or Monarch is a wash.

Aspen is like 5hr drive from the springs in winter (Indy pass is closed.) Tride is 6 but with less potential traffic clusterfucks.

Also worth noting that early season WC tends to have a much more liberal policy in opening terrain. Often has ~1000acres open while others are just finishing groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    +1. Neither have towns, but you can stay in Salida for cheap which is a cool little town if you ski Monarch. With the cost of lodging in Aspen/Tride at Christmas, paying for lift tickets at WC or Monarch is a wash.

Aspen is like 5hr drive from the springs in winter (Indy pass is closed.) Tride is 6 but with less potential traffic clusterfucks.

Also worth noting that early season WC tends to have a much more liberal policy in opening terrain. Often has ~1000acres open while others are just finishing groomers.
    Actually, since we are talking the MOUNTAIN COLLECTIVE pass. Taos would be the best bet near C Springs. Only like 3 hrs away. If they get a good early season, Taos is one of my favorite ski areas.

WC and Monarch are decent, but if you already bought a MC pass, Taos is the best and closes to C Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Actually, since we are talking the MOUNTAIN COLLECTIVE pass. Taos would be the best bet near C Springs. Only like 3 hrs away. If they get a good early season, Taos is one of my favorite ski areas.

WC and Monarch are decent, but if you already bought a MC pass, Taos is the best and closes to C Springs.
    Taos is definitely one of my favorites too... Not sure how it would ski with a slow early season though - best strategy is keep your plans open as long as possible!

I'm hoping to get back to Taos this year too - I've got a friend who spends the winter there and may have a floor/couch to crash on.

Just wait till the last minute to decide.

Rode the chair early last season with some god skiers from New Mexico. I asked why they drove past Taos. I am pretty sure they said Taos needs 100". WC was already 100%. Buy agree see what's good.
    off your knees Louie

Are there any discounts or times when the pass goes on sale?

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Rode the chair early last season with some god skiers from New Mexico. I asked why they drove past Taos. I am pretty sure they said Taos needs 100". WC was already 100%. Buy agree see what's good.
    That's bullshit. Skied there a few times with an 80" base and it was great. Some people are afraid of rocks, others just know how to dodge them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Are there any discounts or times when the pass goes on sale?

a few months ago was a bit cheaper, odds are early nov it will go up a bit more again

Buy it by the end of March to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

That's bullshit. Skied there a few times with an 80" base and it was great. Some people are afraid of rocks, others just know how to dodge them better.
    Maybe his numbers off, but Taos is a rocky hill and not generally thought off as a good early season destination.

Aspen Mountain of the other hand, has had extensive summer grooming and skis pretty good on 25".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	210728

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	210729

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	210730

Never said not to go to Aspen, just said Taos was close to CS.

Taos can be hit or miss, definitely want to keep an eye on the weather around your visit. Just like anywhere in CO/NM, early season could be deep or thin. 100" is not necessary for Taos though, or any other mountain in the area.

Wolf creek is fun for a hundred feet before the two mile traverse, and it gets more boring the deeper it gets. Great when they get early season dumps and everyone else just has groomers, but mid-late season the place is a bunny hill.

True, but I get the feeling he's coming from up north and only has to be in the Springs by Christmas.
    I'd play it by ear. Go wherever is good, even if you have to pay for a ticket.
    Lodging won't be an issue until maybe 12/23.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    a few months ago was a bit cheaper, odds are early nov it will go up a bit more again
    Yah i should have pulled the trigger back then....damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Yah i should have pulled the trigger back then....damn!

it only went up a few bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    it only went up a few bucks?
    think it was about 60US but yah not the end of the world, will still probably grab one

Wolf creek is fun for a hundred feet before the two mile traverse, and it gets more boring the deeper it gets. Great when they get early season dumps and everyone else just has groomers, but mid-late season the place is a bunny hill.
    Nailed it. I have ~30 days of skiing there and only one of those days was after January....and it was with the wife and kiddo in May.
    Old's Cool.

yes my number could be off, god to know 80" base gets things open and skiable. Trying to start some dialogue on how much snow ares need to get everything skiable. Missed a window last season because I hesitated on Telluride than got burned at Crested Butte because they didn't open runs. Just trying to figure new stuff out. I agree about Wolfcreek that is why I bought the MC to ski Taos on my resort days. Save Wolfcreek for the days the pass is closed from Pagosa.
    off your knees Louie

BOught one. Utah now offers Snowbasin. and i got one for my son for $1. 3 days at Bird, 2 at Alta and 2 at Snowbasin will feel like it's paid for. Maybe try to couch surf at Jackson and Telluride.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

I have two free nights at any Hyatt, courtesy of card churning. Just noticed that there's a Hyatt in Aspen. Guess I'll finally get to go ski there this winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have two free nights at any Hyatt, courtesy of card churning. Just noticed that there's a Hyatt in Aspen. Guess I'll finally get to go ski there this winter!
    Got the Hyatt card in June so we could use the two free nights in Tokyo. Japan honeymoon in January!

Rose pass + MC. Planning on Squallypine, Mammoth, Niseko, and Hakuba valley.

Never said not to go to Aspen, just said Taos was close to CS.

Taos can be hit or miss, definitely want to keep an eye on the weather around your visit. Just like anywhere in CO/NM, early season could be deep or thin. 100" is not necessary for Taos though, or any other mountain in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    True, but I get the feeling he's coming from up north and only has to be in the Springs by Christmas.
    I'd play it by ear. Go wherever is good, even if you have to pay for a ticket.
    Lodging won't be an issue until maybe 12/23.
    That is correct, we'll be coming from WA.

Looking at flights into DIA + rental car around that time may give us the incentive to drive the truck and camper. We'll most likely stick to MC destinations, simply because if we can find a place to park overnight, lodging is not part of the equation. However, looking at googlemaps, Taos only adds ~150 miles to the trip, so 10 gallons of diesel is not really a big deal if the skiing is going to be better.

We're willing to keep our options open, but we need to start planning now to arrange work schedules, etc.

How do y'all rank the three MC destinations in that region, conditions being equal?
    (For reference I grew up skiing Alta/Bird, if either makes a good reference for comparison.)
    1. Taos
    2. Telluride
    3. Aspen

^^ You really can't go wrong with any of the three. They're all great.