Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

National Eagle Scout Day

Apparently it's "National Eagle Scout Day".

Who else got their Eagle Scout? What was your service project? How far did you push it until your 18th birthday?

Me: Got mine in 2007, rerouted a trail on the Pilchuck Tree Farm from straight up hill to a nice gradual climbing switchback with grade reversal to prevent erosion. Had a really fun time in Scouting. Learned a ton and I attribute it to my love of the mountains. Also fun trivia fact: I never shot any guns at camp, I was too scared to do it...

Eagle Scout here. I think I was 16 when I got it. My service project was I organized a group of about 20 other scouts from around the state (housing, food, transportation, etc) to volunteer for the 1989 World Alpine Ski Championships in Vail. We shovelled a shit ton of snow off of the stands and picked up a equal shit ton of trash.

I made it to Webelos
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Tenderfoot for many years. Our troop was about camping, hiking, and having fun. I don't think we ever talked about getting merit badges.

Our troop leader always camped well away from the boys and pretty much left us alone to figure stuff out.

I'm an Eagle. Also credit Scouting with giving me my love for the outdoors. Had some awesome adventures camping in the woods.

Got my Eagle in 09, refurb'd a gazebo that overlooked a lake. Tore out all the brush, a little carpentry, paint, and a new roof.

Made it to Life Scout. Then the Scout Master told me I had to pick between Football and Scouts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Yup. Eagle here too.

I credit scouts with my inappropriate sense of humor amongst other things

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I did the 50 mile hike. Awesome. Only one Jamboree which kinda sucked anyway.

I built some campfires you could spot from space. Troop fire builder.

Huh. Didn't realize there WAS a National Eagle Scout Day. Got mine back in '98. My service project ended up being pretty massive. I ran a city-wide book drive to beef up a local adult education center's library in an effort to combat adult illiteracy and especially the large percentage of ESL folks who wanted to learn. We collected I don't remember how many thousands of books and took them from a dinky couple of book shelves to a really respectable set of books. Lots of work and took about a month to do it, but was well worth it.

Loved scouting and definitely attribute a LOT of my random collection of skills plus appreciation of the wilderness to it. Perhaps it's due to many of those experiences that I feel completely comfortable in many random scenarios including emergencies and trauma. Despite many people's opinions about it, I do think the program can make for some well-rounded citizens.

Eagle as well. Organized a rebuild/repaint of playground equipment at the local elementary school.

I had my boy in the cub scouts for a few years when he was 2-5th grade with some of his classmates at school, so of course all the other parents decided me being an Eagle scout meant I should be their pack leader. It was fun for a bit if a little hectic and I'd try to get them outside into nature as much as possible, but I also had to go to a couple leadership council meetings, and the regional/national scout reps really kind of creeped me out. I wasn't disappointed when the boy was through with it.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Myself and 3 others got asked to leave and not return just short of Eagle... apparently bringing a few other things along with the anarchist cookbook are not ok. Our scout leader was a Pedophile and creeper. We didn't hike anywhere, Only car trips and he had us cook him steaks. So we naturally got bored and found other sources of entertainment...

are you all Mormons?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Huh. Didn't realize there WAS a National Eagle Scout Day.
    Me either but I saw something on faceslam about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    leadership council meetings, and the regional/national scout reps.
    Those people are the worst. Long winded, overweight, pontificate about scouting for hours but can't walk up a flight of stairs without turning blue. Hated when they would come around.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    are you all Mormons?
    No. Although the LDS do use scouting as their "Youth Group" in some sense. The Mormon troops were always the most disorganized and dysfunctional from my experience. Lots of turn over in their leaders typically. Also many wouldn't attend or participate in non-LDS camps, etc.

i quit when one of my troop was molested by our troop leader and i was called into the principal's office to identify on an anatomically correct doll where i'd been touched. i hadn't. but years later i found out it was widespread and institutionally hidden.

and then there's the bigotry, nationalism and god bullshit.

Geez, Spook, it seems like everything bad happens to you, or nearly does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    of course all the other parents decided me being an Eagle scout meant I should be their pack leader. It was fun for a bit if a little hectic and I'd try to get them outside into nature as much as possible, but I also had to go to a couple leadership council meetings, and the regional/national scout reps really kind of creeped me out. I wasn't disappointed when the boy was through with it.
    My mom was our pack leader in cub scouts. It pissed off a bunch of people and got quite a bit of attention regionally. One year she was named pack master of the year and got to throw the first pitch at a local minor league baseball game.

I didn't even last a year in Boy Scouts

Our small town of 5000 residents just hosted a girl guide jamboree

2200 GG's and support staff I heard it was worth 1.5 million to the small town economy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I impersonated an Eagle Scout in the ceremony for one of my friends. One of our mutual Eagle Scout buddies organized that for some reason. I ended up wearing a borrowed scout shirt 2 sizes too big and somehow faking my way through the Scout oath. My friend friends dad had one of the best wtf looks ever at the start of the ceremony cause he knew I was no scout but kept his mouth shut. Not sure why I agreed to it, I was awkward as hell.

Wow. Sounds like many of you guys did it wrong and missed out on a lot.... like the World Jamborees. Gotta remember, in most countries, it's simply "Scouts," and boys and girls participate together, although in separate "Patrols." At these events, sheesh I'd meet a lot of gorgeous ladies. Hookups were common. Rubbers were even officially handed out at the Euro events. Even at the American events, we'd host international Scouts of both sexes all the time and good times were had by all.

I spent many summers in Mexico running around with a couple of their troops in the mountains and urban jungles down there. You haven't seen a scavenger hunt until you do it with thousands of people in a massive city. Sigh. Good times.

You Mormon scouts REALLY missed out.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    are you all Mormons?
    Nope, not many Mo's where I grew up. Of course that is a different deal here. Had no idea the mormons were so involved with scouting until after I moved to CO. Never went to any jamborees or big national events either though.

Name:  3310_1122613195212_7531924_n.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  39.4 KB
    Name:  200792_1009527768147_9109_n.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  45.5 KB
    Name:  190342_1009559728946_2623_n.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  47.4 KB
    Name:  200016_1009559768947_2886_n.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  196348_1009559848949_3494_n.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  50.4 KB

Here's some photos from later scouting trips I did - Venture Crew instead of Scout Troop but same idea just focused on "high adventure". My Scouting adventures in the Cascades are the big reason why I chose to live in the mountains not the city.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Wow. Sounds like many of you guys did it wrong and missed out on a lot.... like the World Jamborees. Gotta remember, in most countries, it's simply "Scouts," and boys and girls participate together, although in separate "Patrols." At these events, sheesh I'd meet a lot of gorgeous ladies. Hookups were common. Rubbers were even officially handed out at the Euro events. Even at the American events, we'd host international Scouts of both sexes all the time and good times were had by all.

I spent many summers in Mexico running around with a couple of their troops in the mountains and urban jungles down there. You haven't seen a scavenger hunt until you do it with thousands of people in a massive city. Sigh. Good times.

You Mormon scouts REALLY missed out.
    Are you sure you don't mean that scouts without means missed out? World Jamborees and "many" summers in Mexico? A week long scout camp 20 miles from home wasn't a given for me.

Anyway, yeah Eagle Scout here. I don't feel like I got my love of the outdoors in scouts (already had it), and I don't feel like I got any great skills in scouts. Fun times with friends was the gift.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Tenderfoot for many years. Our troop was about camping, hiking, and having fun. I don't think we ever talked about getting merit badges.

Our troop leader always camped well away from the boys and pretty much left us alone to figure stuff out.
    That sounds just like my troop circa 1979. We wanted to name ourselves "pyro patrol" but it was shot down fast.