Laguna Hills/Beach Help . . .

Checked out the San Diego thread, but too much south info. Will be in Laguna Hills second week of September and will have five free days. Two adults, no kids. Any recs appreciated - will consider most, but not really interested in driving hours too see parks et al. Hiking or any kind of bike riding not doable on this trip. Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

Be prepared to deal with lots of people and traffic. Summer in Laguna Beach is crowded. It has some of the best little beachcoves on the southern California coast. Fun snorkeling, plenty of places to rent gear, and good beach SCUBA diving if you are certified. Lots and lots of trendy bars,and restaurants. Large art scene with many galleries. Sawdust Festival and Palace of living Art may still be going on in the canyon (might be over by Sept.)

Newport Beach is just a few miles north for more trendy bars, et al, but lots of expensive shopping if your wife is into that.

Of course lots of great surf spots in LB as well as up or down the coast. Just listen to Beach Boys songs for a list. I don't know what the bike rental options are, but MTB trails in the area are well known, but I am not much of a bike rider. I have ridden many of the roads, and if you can score a road bike there are many great rides if you go early.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

After Labor day it does slow down a bit. All the festival's are closed, water is usually pretty warm, waves can be epic if hurricane down south is sturring. It all depends. I think September is the best month in LB, fewer tourist, no fog, warm weather. Coast Hwy is usually a mess use Glenneyre when possible. In south Laguna try Dizz's As Is, it's a great small eclectic restaurant.

i dont know

maybe

HIT THE BEACH
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

DD do you have any goons in LB? I have a matter that needs taking care of there.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Lots to do here...festivals will be over but Laguna Beach will still be pretty busy. The mtnbiking is insane and Laguna Cyclery has legit rentals https://lagunabeachcyclery.com/rentals/. You can hike on the same trails that you bike on so there is about 100 miles of trails to explore, but really September is for da surf

Message me when you are here and maybe I can be of some assistance....lots of other mags around here too so maybe someone else will chime in as well. good luck
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    DD do you have any goons in LB? I have a matter that needs taking care of there.
    only in LA county
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Gastropub 4 off OsoPkwy

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

The Whole Foods is a block from the beach and sells cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    only in LA county
    Noted.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    The Whole Foods is a block from the beach and sells cold beer.
    This is true, but the "boys in blue" will ticket you at the beach for beer do be careful. They walk down the beach in shorts writing up tickets like the meter maids. Plus main beach sucks and way too crowded, best to go farther south off the street run in like Anita, Thailia, Bluebird, Victoria all smaller beaches less crowded.

Second week in September is quiet, but glorious. Hot hot weather, great water temps - just hang out at the beach and wander the village. Crowds are gone but the beach weather continues. Relax.

If you drive to LA for the day, leave after 9:30AM and take the toll road (it's about $4 rt), return after dinner (leaving LA no earlier than 7PM) - to avoid traffic. It's about 50 minutes instead of 2 hours if you don't drive during rush hour (7-9AM, 3-7PM).

Remember, September being less crowded is relative, It will still be a zoo compared to most towns, but dead compared to mid August at Laguna or Newport Beach.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Appreciate all the good info - all things I have not seen "googling" . . . . . .yogachik, I'm assuming the travel to San Diego would be the same - after 9:30 am, returning after 7:00 pm? Our stay time in Laguna area is 12th to 18th. Thought school would be back in session, so not so many vacationers, but we'll deal with any crowds if this is not the case. Current plan is to stay in Laguna Hills, but should we splurg and stay at "The Beach" - have checked travel time, but not sure how true it is in reality. Again, thanks for the info - keep it coming

Edit to fix leaving time from Laguna area to San Diego or LA.
    Last edited by GimpToo; 08-01-2017 at 03:15 PM.

A lot of folks from Tijuana Norte, Orange County, and the Inland Empire spent their weekends in San Diego, so, south-bound, expect heavy Friday afternoon/evening traffic, as well as late morning/early afternoon Saturday traffic. Headed north out of San Diego on Sundays, the stupid usually begins around 11:00 A.M.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

From Laguna Hills just go down Crown Valley pkwy shouldn't be that much traffic go north 1000 steps is just past 3arch bay hit the Montage if you want to see expensive life. Farther north all the street beaches. For tacos Aldolfos on coast hwy past Anita or Laguna Feast on Glenneyre(taco Tuesday cheaper), downtown LaSirena Grill on Mermaid st.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    A lot of folks from Tijuana Norte, Orange County, and the Inland Empire spent their weekends in San Diego, so, south-bound, expect heavy Friday afternoon/evening traffic, as well as late morning/early afternoon Saturday traffic. Headed north out of San Diego on Sundays, the stupid usually begins around 11:00 A.M.
    Traffic seems like it can be bad in north SD county almost any time on a weekend these days. Weekdays are a safer bet traffic wise, at least rush hour has consistent times - clears by around 9am in the morning and bad again starting 3pm til 7. Don't wait too late, sometimes freeway lanes are shut down for construction at 10 or 11pm. Stay local on the weekend...

My favorite mexican in Socal is El Campeon in San Juan Capistrano. Not far from Laguna and just off I-5.

Stay away from San Clemente, the locals here are all assholes, they hate tourists and the surf sucks!!!

This place is pretty bad-ass: http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org/

I would highly recommend you check out 1000 steps Beach. Not too touristy and a very nice stretch of beach. If tide is low enough you can walk around the rocks and hit another even quieter beach to the north (right) of thousand steps.

Definitely go to 1000 steps beach

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I would highly recommend you check out 1000 steps Beach. Not too touristy and a very nice stretch of beach. If tide is low enough you can walk around the rocks and hit another even quieter beach to the north (right) of thousand steps.

Definitely go to 1000 steps beach
    And it's not quite 1000 steps just 700ish awesome beach, parking can be challenging.

Dana strand. Victoria st beach. Taco loco.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app