Thread: canoe dolly?

canoe dolly?

we have a big ass heavy coleman canoe, bought used. recently, we started exploring more lakes with it and came across our first longer approach on a rough road that's making if feel like a dolly might be a good idea. steep, rough, and rocky trails/roads would be the use. looking online, i see a large price range and plenty of DIY. is the <$40 one on amazon with inflatable tires gonna work more than once? we use the canoe several times a month.

thanks and cheers?

Do you need to take it along or can you leave it on shore?
    watch out for snakes

Another thing to consider is how much weight does the dolly have to support while negotiating said ruff ground?
    watch out for snakes

Good questions. We'd leave it behind on shore. The $40 one on amazon is supposed to support 150lbs.

Myrtle lake in central BC has a 2km shuttle on a flat ish gravel so you could rent wheels and a lock so on the lake end of the portage there would be >100 sets of wheels locked to the trees while people were out on the lake

They made the wheel sets out of a welded frame & 20" BMX wheels which worked pretty well but i think if the road is gona be rough or soft you might want wider wheels
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Use one (not the amazon one so can not comment on that specific one) all the time to roll down the street and across the beach to the ocean. Using a strap or rope across the wheels and canoe to make it one unit greatly improves its ability to handle the rocky patch at low tide. Trim it so the rig is balanced on the wheels and works great.