Ortho/sports medicine recommendation in San Diego

I need a new Orthopedic. The guy I had is no longer in my network ( United Healthcare)

I have Achilles Tendon that is aching and causing me to limp. Its from running. I don't want to stop running so I need some help

Im more of a quick fix guy so I go for the knife over long term PT

Thanks

Haha. Expecting surgery without long term PT?

Have you considered a physiatrist?

No, I have had a lot of PT through the years. And right after the months of PT I went under the knife and get the issue fixed. Don't feel like dragging shit out. Now, PT after the knife is great

Ok. I see. I have no answers directly to your question other than suggesting seeing a physiatrists before an orthopedic surgeon.

My ortho in SD retired long ago.

Pretty sure it's Insertional Achilles Tendonitis
    Of course most will recommend Rest Ice Elevation etc
    But everything I have read indicates it will come back as you begin running again after the above
    I hate to say it but running is an addiction. I don't do marathons or races. Just a hack out at lunchtime
    But living at sea level running is the only thing that keeps me at the cardio level I need for uphill travel ( splitboarding)

I don't want to give up backcountry travel and I do realize that recovery from this surgery is a year to 100 percent I don't think I can skin much longer without the tendon snapping so I want to get this done ASAP

Gotta get back on snow

I have not had ice recommended for a long time except for immediately after injury (like day of). Heat after that point to help healing.

If it is chronic achilles tendonitis, have you considered heel drop exercises (slow fix), or shockwave (relatively quick fix) before surgery?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26327530

Try Gimp Central, not the Ski Forum...

Shock wave dies look like it's possible. Thanks !
    I can't do the heel drop on that side it so tight

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    I can't do the heel drop on that side it so tight
    You can drop to the floor, though, surely? No need to go past vertical for insertional achilles tendonitis. 3x15 twice a day. When that gets so it's not super painful, add weight in the form of a backpack or hold dumbbells. Do this for many weeks (more than a month), and see if it makes a difference. This is from Make or Break climbing injuries book by Dave MacLeod, but I'm going from memory on the routine. Almost all tendon issues respond to this kind of loading over that time frame. It will get more painful for the first few weeks, though.

And yeah, take it to Gimp Central.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

This is kind of my specialty. Not in so ca however. You've gotten some good advice here. If it's insertional:

-usually easy to calm down, sometimes hard to keep it that way

-surgery works but it's 6 months to a year before you decide that you're happy with it

-eccentric loading exercises are the mainstay of treatment

-dry needling can also be good

-heel lift in all your shoes (both feet)

Good luck