Charging on Beast 16's for a sasquatch

Am I a fool for thinking I can charge in and out of bounds on my Dynafiddle Beast 16's? Anybody else use them hard?
    I'm tall and heavy not as fast as LeavenworthSkier or Kaiski but I have been known to do dumb shit often.

Judochop ? Used them for a while and seemed happy with them. Pretty sure he's a bigger guy who breaks gear. Might help to search for his threads

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Judochop ? Used them for a while and seemed happy with them. Pretty sure he's a bigger guy who breaks gear. Might help to search for his threads
    Thanks Abraham,

You'll be fine

Beast 16 toe = over complicated & prone to icing - & then the excessive pressure required to open them is likely the break the crappy closure indicator mechanism. Regular lubrication is important. Dynafit are completely out of 16 toe components so if a warranty issue occurs they're currently exchanging complete toes but only until stock lasts.

Beast 14 toe = bomber - plus continuity as it's also the Rad 2 toe.

^^Provided you remember to set both the horizontal and vertical RV.

No direct experience, but the main issues I've heard about are toe releasing in touring mode and slop in the heel unit after a while.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

yer gonna die

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Provided you remember to set both the horizontal and vertical RV.

No direct experience, but the main issues I've heard about are toe releasing in touring mode and slop in the heel unit after a while.
    Mine released in touring mode often....which is why I'm very sceptical of using them alot... I also DID NOT read any of the instructions on their uses.....so I missed a important part of using them in touring mode that caused them to release and send me chasing a missile down a sun cupped face for 20 minutes...
    Last edited by Neil Fiedler; 07-26-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Didn't realize you'd been using them for touring. Clearly you have way more experience with them than I do, so I'll shut up now.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    yer gonna die
    well at least I'll have a witness :-P

I am 6' 190lbs and skied the Beast 16 very hard inbounds at Jhole this winter.

I got the heel of one ski to release once while landing partially on some rocks. Otherwise they skied very well on 10-15 foot drops and all conditions throughout the season.

The one irritating part in my mind is that you really have to get your skis flat to step into the beast 16 toes, and it is definitely fiddly at times.

For me, the issue is the boots. My maestrales+Beast14s do rip pretty good, but they don't quite compare to rx130s and pivot 18s.

I have liked the beast 14s, but think that I will probably transition to something slightly lighter - ions maybe

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    you really have to get your skis flat to step into the beast 16 toes, and it is definitely fiddly at times.
    for sure. it's no joke man those toes are super irritating... but glad it took a rock hit to pop the heal. My alpine bindings have released at 14 DIN under less.

Are kingpins better for large people?

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Are kingpins better for large people?
    My big problem with the Kingpin is the stupid heel track is held on with a flimsy plastic worm drive. There have been a few accounts of the heel piece shearing clean off, and it makes total sense to me why/how that could happen, especially after I mounted my pair. I would have definitely preferred a little weight gain for a metal worm drive.

I suspect we just haven't reached a point where enough people have skied them long enough for these issues to become widespread, and that we'll see a high rate of Kingpin units developing lots of play and failing (i.e., shearing off) after a few seasons. Could be wrong, though.

Right now, IMHO, the most bombproof "touring" binding still seems to be CAST, despite its fiddle factor.

photos

I've had no problem skiing hard on beast 16s. Never pre-released on them. Thincover skis them too and he is a giant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app