Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Most of the time my back pack is not my carry on, but is the extra piece. Between the two I can often avoid checking bags and the associated fees.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I mean, it's almost August. There's great stoke right now, just a bit less. Sometimes, we gotta talk about stuff like the DH rule, computer aided officiating, backpacks on a plane, brisket on a plane...

Packing light, apart from obvious advantages, can add a little strategy fun to an otherwise dull trip but I agree with the horses for courses folks. Also, obviously its more about what's IN the backpack.

I have a Kelty 28L roll top thing and my thought is if it can't all fit in there, Imma put it in something with wheels unless i have some other reason to have a pack, as the convenience factor of having all your shit in a small pack goes way down as the weight and size of said 'small' pack go up.

I love these 25-35L packs. I'm working on fitting my backpacking shit into a 25-35 for one-two nights (backpacking, that is) but I'm not quite there yet, needing a nice true summer weight sleeping bag and a bit smaller packing shelter, in addition to some other shit I can't afford right now, though, the bare-bone set up for my 3 man is pretty nice. Some other cheap lightening I need to do, particularly in the mess kit. Summer.......

Luggage STOKE!!
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Patty MLC plus a small, packable frameless daypack is how I usually roll. I find the MLC very versatile. Black hole if I need more room.

hey for those that mentioned the osprey farpoint 55. Would you say the "day pack" could handle as a minimalist work laptop bag for a few days of work travel? I'd love to carry only one piece of luggage to the airport and on my back would be awesome. My daily laptop back has tons of shit in it, that I mostly dont need on a week long biz trip, so maybe i can make a travel bag like this work?

Thoughts appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Where are you traveling? Mostly plane to the train/cab/Uber/etc? Are you looking to use the pack for hiking/skiing once at your destination or are you headed in more remote areas without pavement? A typical carry-on with wheels and a handle is easiest for getting through the airport, down sidewalks, etc. The Osprey Ozone is a nice option as is the LL Bean Carryall. Both have solid warranties. I prefer rollers vs. spinners, but that's personal preference. Between an airline compliant roller and a 'personal item' (read: daypack) we can easily do a week in the Carribean, Paris, or other low gear intensive options.
    Same. A decent sized backpack that I keep small enough to fit under my seat and a roller in the over head storage is enough to get me through most shorter trips.

I'm not sure why you would want to carry a huge pack when you are allowed two carry on pieces. My backpack holds my laptop, jacket, tablet, chargers, etc.. And the roll on holds my clothing and toiletries.

Might not work if you're the type to wander around a city before checking in.

I prefer a wheeled bag if flying in the US. If I'm flying on plane with smaller bag size rules I switch to a backpack because you get more usable space for the same volume.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    As stated several times above, the Patagonia 60L Black Hole Duffle.
    It fits in every little airport gate test basket I've encountered. Fully loaded.
    Looks like a great bag. Might be a better choice than a regular backpack. A quick search says it is 25" long. Is the bag really that long? Do you squeeze it in the test basket?

I think I'll take a look at the Patagonia 45L Black Hole Duffel bag for smaller/international planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I prefer a wheeled bag if flying in the US. If I'm flying on plane with smaller bag size rules I switch to a backpack because you get more usable space for the same volume.

Looks like a great bag. Might be a better choice than a regular backpack. A quick search says it is 25" long. Is the bag really that long? Do you squeeze it in the test basket?

I think I'll take a look at the Patagonia 45L Black Hole Duffel bag for smaller/international planes.
    There's an end handle on the 60L. Take a compression strap and run it though top handle and end handle to compress the bag so it fits in the test box. Once past the test box, it packs flat enough to fit in small bins like those on a CRJ700

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    does u carry a backpack on de plane?

annoying
    /cultural appropriation. Annoying indeed.

Subscribed

We need 1st person GoPro footy of packing and carrying the packs. More pics too!

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Subscribed

We need 1st person GoPro footy of packing and carrying the packs. More pics too!
    Don't forget the Youtube videos of unpacking the pack from the packaging in which it was packed.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

fanny packs?

so hot right now
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Don't forget the Youtube videos of unpacking the pack from the packaging in which it was packed.
    Slow mo with a hip Imagine Dragons song

fanny packs?

so hot right now
    Get with it! You're so 2014: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5691982

Are Fanny packs making a comeback?

I found a nice 8L over the shoulder with sternum strap dry bag from MEC which was dry enough to wear snorkeling except the 8L of air would keep you on the surface
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This seems fitting-

https://douchebags.com

Seriously though- some nice stuff there. Next time I need to update my airplane gear, this is what I am getting.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Subscribed

While we're at it we need more GoPro of people going into the tram building and riding up the mountain on the tram. Most riveting part of any ski video.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    While we're at it we need more GoPro of people going into the tram building and riding up the mountain on the tram. Most riveting part of any ski video.
    Especially when they speed up the video 10X. So novel!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Especially when they speed up the video 10X. So novel!
    Yeah, I love that, over and over, can't get enough.

Another vote for the Goruck packs. I scoffed at the price too, until I borrowed a friend's. Now I have 3 in various sizes.

At last count, I've probably taken one or another of my Goruck bags on 125-150 flights. I have yet to find another bag that packs so easily, so well, is utterly bombproof, opens flat for perfect packing/unpacking, and looks good enough that I can rock up to a high value meeting wearing a suit and carrying it. I certainly wouldn't show up straight from the airport to negotiate a 6 or 7 figure deal with a client carrying my ArcTeryx Khamski. And then go celebrate the deal by taking a long hike, before going back to the airport the next morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_ml8tgvNsgv1qdirl4o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	209941

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post
    Another vote for the Goruck packs. I scoffed at the price too, until I borrowed a friend's. Now I have 3 in various sizes.

At last count, I've probably taken one or another of my Goruck bags on 125-150 flights. I have yet to find another bag that packs so easily, so well, is utterly bombproof, opens flat for perfect packing/unpacking, and looks good enough that I can rock up to a high value meeting wearing a suit and carrying it. I certainly wouldn't show up straight from the airport to negotiate a 6 or 7 figure deal with a client carrying my ArcTeryx Khamski. And then go celebrate the deal by taking a long hike, before going back to the airport the next morning.

Now that's some fucking backpack stoke!

Rad.

I've been using a Red Oxx Air Boss for the past 15 years - not a backpack (single shoulder strap) but bomber fabric and zippers and really well thought out. Mine still looks brand new and has been my only bag for multi-week trips overseas. I think they have a backpack style as well. The MLC bags are nice too (my wife has one), and are a little cheaper. With any shoulder strap bag I'd suggest picking up a Tom Bihn Absolute strap - stretchy, doesn't slip, and somehow makes the bag feel lighter.

Noticed that when overhead space is tight the gate agents and flight attendants will often bounce all the wheelie bags (aside from 1st/biz class of course), but don't give my bag (same size but soft and slung over my shoulder) a second glance.

I do not do either(usually just carry a book on and check my suitcase so I don't get my shampoo thrown out), but having just flown back from Denver tonite, I would recommend a backback that can fit under your seat as carry on suitcases are always a pain to put in the overhead and find overhead space near you from my observations of others with suitcase carry ons.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    I do not do either(usually just carry a book on and check my suitcase so I don't get my shampoo thrown out)
    To each his own, but I only check a bag if absolutely necessary. To me hauling a bag around the airport and dealing with the space issues on-board trumps sitting there waiting for your bag to come out at the carousel (if you're lucky) any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokeSomeRibs View Post

Wouldn't suit and tie bros be lusting after the acrterrx bag?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using TGR Forums mobile app
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Wouldn't suit and tie bros be lusting after the acrterrx bag?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using TGR Forums mobile app
    Had an Arcteryx Blade 30 before getting any Goruck bags. I was commuting from Boulder to Nashville 3-4 times a month in 2014 and my briefcase was killing my back (heavy ass old school computer), so I decided to switch to a backpack. Got the Arcteryx but it sucked. Wildly uncomfortable. Borrowed a Goruck bag on my next trip, and haven't looked back.