Flylow Quantum Pro or Higgins

For mostly resort skiing in the West, which would you recommend?
    Which is warmer? Similar cut or is one baggier? Is the Quantum worth the extra money?

I own a Higgins which has the thinnest of brushed linings, and it's surprisingly warm in CO weather.
    Fit is semi baggy on me. Hood is great. Collar is good. I normally wear large jackets: large Flylow & medium Freeride Systems both fit me.
    No experience with the Quantum to offer up.

West being wet coastal climates, or West being Colorado / Utah / Wy / UT?

I've got a Higgins and a Co FreeRide Hardshell. Prefer my Higgins for inbounds as it feels really burly and warm on the lifts. Prefer the Co FreeRide touring because I like having the hardshell if need be, and it is lighter in my pack when no on.

I like the Quantum because of the fit. I tried the Higgins and found that neither the L or the XL fit. I wear a L in the Quantum Pro.

It's just a shell, so some days I have to put on a layer or two underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I'm under the impression that the Quantum is thinner than the Higgins (and probably not as warm) but I have not worn the Quantum.

I find my Higgins to be warm, windproof, waterproof enough for CO, not very breathable, and to fit quite large. I'm generally a medium except for some items from brands that are known to fit large (like some Patagonia) and a small Higgins is a good, somewhat baggy fit.

I have both. Higgins gets the nod 90% of the time, it's comfortable, breathes well, and fits me a little better with the stretchy fabric. I use the Quantum for storm days and mid-winter touring (it's lighter and packs smaller than the Higgins). Fit seems a little baggier to me on the Quantum but it's pretty similar. I have both in M (6', 170 lbs).

Thanks for the input. How about Higgins vs the Freeride Systems Antero 2? I can't afford the $419 cost but it looks like they have a trade-in program...has anyone done that?

I say Quantum hands down. The latest versions with the intuitive hardshell fabric are exceptionally waterproof and wind proof and bomber construction while still feeling soft. The quantum fit is longer in the length and arms than the Higgins. I liked the higgens I owned but found the fit a bit awkward and not as breathable as the new quantum.

I wear my quantum every day regardless the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    I say Quantum hands down. The latest versions with the intuitive hardshell fabric are exceptionally waterproof and wind proof and bomber construction while still feeling soft. The quantum fit is longer in the length and arms than the Higgins. I liked the higgens I owned but found the fit a bit awkward and not as breathable as the new quantum.

I wear my quantum every day regardless the conditions.
    With it being more breathable, does that make it colder (i.e. On a lift)?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Thanks for the input. How about Higgins vs the Freeride Systems Antero 2? I can't afford the $419 cost but it looks like they have a trade-in program...has anyone done that?
    I have the Antero 2 Plus so not experience with the specific jacket. The difference (as I understand it) is only in the fabric -- hardshell vs hybrid softshell thing. I like the Antero hood system fit and operation more than my Higgins. I like the Higgins better skin pockets than the Antero (IMHO). Antero also has superior/burlier zippers.

If you're considering one, PM MiCol for more information. He owns/runs the company and is an awesome wealth of information. He'll also figure out how to get you one at the best price he can with trade-ins, discount codes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I have the Antero 2 Plus so not experience with the specific jacket. The difference (as I understand it) is only in the fabric -- hardshell vs hybrid softshell thing. I like the Antero hood system fit and operation more than my Higgins. I like the Higgins better skin pockets than the Antero (IMHO). Antero also has superior/burlier zippers.

If you're considering one, PM MiCol for more information. He owns/runs the company and is an awesome wealth of information. He'll also figure out how to get you one at the best price he can with trade-ins, discount codes, etc.
    Pockets.
    That's a good point. I have an Antero II Plus. The interior pockets don't make sense to me. Two pockets per side, neither large enough to be too useful. If at least one side had one huge pocket it would be more practical.

That all said, the quality of the jacket is top notch. Its my fav.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Pockets.
    That's a good point. I have an Antero II Plus. The interior pockets don't make sense to me. Two pockets per side, neither large enough to be too useful. If at least one side had one huge pocket it would be more practical.

That all said, the quality of the jacket is top notch. Its my fav.
    thanks all
    I only hijacked due to mentions and questions in comparison...

Pockets
    With regard to pockets, the interior side pockets are pockets by default. There is one inside zip chest pocket that can handle big phones , car keys etc. There are two open pockets on each side just above the bottom hem and behind the outside waist pockets. Those inside pockets are part of the construction of the pocket bags. This means that they had to be there. With jackets made with overseas labor where cost per hour is not a factor, other jackets will add interior fabric or seam tape additional fabric (some creative stitches too sometimes) to form more distinct pockets and even with zippers. For us this creates additional weight for the jacket (affecting packability as well us other things) and many more pieces within the construction. You are not simply paying the price in less features due to our domestic labor costs, but in reality you are going to ski lighter carrying less junk. And, if you are carrying a pack the point is moot.

Carry-Load
    However, here is what I carry inbounds and it fits into an Antero 2 or 2+ and ski pants with 4 pockets....

my pass on a 1/8th inch elastic cord attached to a zipper and stuffed in pants pocket when not flashing, keys and id credit cards inside chest jacket pocket, extra OR liner gloves PL100 in outside jacket pockets, Phone inside one of liner gloves in outside pocket, chapstick, compass, slope meter, etc in outside jacket chest pocket, a BP1 carry system for inbound hikes stuck inside jacket waist unsealed pocket or inside my pants accessible through reach through side vents and held in place by inside cuff gator, a sm platypus water bag stuck inside opposite unsealed jacket waist pocket, if i were to carry an extra face mask or bandana i would stick it either with water or BP1. I use to put extra Smith goggle lens in inside waist pockets but since going with Zeal photocromatics i never have had need to change lens as they adjust. If was going to carry food, I could find a place for it but I do not. I still have essentially 4 empty pants pockets......due to the stretch difference with 2 and 2+ , a 2 has more room in unsealed inside pockets as there is slight stretch to that fabric whereas 2+ really does not and that makes the pockets have less volume. So, I can get one skin per side in a 2 and then I would reconfigure but usually don't have skins inbounds and in backcountry water is in my pack. if i used skins inbounds which I did in past , I would use my under jacket skin pouch we make if using 2+ hardshell....in jacket with the 2

Fabric Weights and differences
    Antero 2 hybrid soft-shell thicker fabric similar to gore windstopper type fabric with micro grid velour interior....heavier than 2+ but burley for cold made of Polartec Windbloc seam taped , and membrane ( 3 layer)
    Antero 2 + hardshell light weight,

Collar Design
    Our Antero 3 jackets have same type collar hood set up as quantum and higgins. Both Antero 2 and 2+ have the same collar that the $500 flylow Lab Jacket 2.0 or $ billion dollar arcteryx (multiple models) or I should say, they have the same collar as the Antero 2 and 2+ The 2 and 2+ collars are a completely different ski experience (best) with regard to how wind and elements are directed away from your face.

Deals
    Yes we have special deals and the trade in program firing up soon. Trades up to $300 this year or use the mag discount but not both. There are some older discount codes I have left in place from previous years that are out there within the forum posts and such I just don't advertise in my sig anymore...
    Last edited by MiCol; 07-25-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Obvs the op asked about Flylow, but I have a few Freeride Systems jackets too, and they are easily on par, if not better.

Plus MiCol is a rad mag who built it from scratch, supports the community, and makes in America.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

MiCol - pm sent.

Get the Freeride Systems Antero 2+ if you want a light fleece interior and 2 if you want a light weight she'll with packability.

Great fit, awesome collar, and the best hood I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    thanks all
    I only hijacked due to mentions and questions in comparison..

Deals
    Yes we have special deals and the trade in program firing up soon. Trades up to $300 this year or use the mag discount but not both. There are some older discount codes I have left in place from previous years that are out there within the forum posts and such I just don't advertise in my sig anymore...
    I only hijacked because ..... I have deals to offer you!!

You guys probably make fine jackets but your merchandising moral compass is a bit off

You guys probably make fine jackets but your merchandising moral compass is a bit off
    What?
    it's not even a hijack, OP asked about these jackets, and you snipped off all the other useful info from the mfg's reply. What's wrong with making sure we know about available discounts??? I used a discount last year as did others here I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

10b, I did not bring this up out of the blue, you must not have read this ^...as there were other questions and or comments that needed clarification ( e.g. about the interior pockets)

btw there's another "All New Clothing" titled thread going close to this one , you see me "merchandising" in there? Nope
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Didn't see the second post where OP asked about them. Carry on with your self admitted thread hijack.

Didn't see the second post where OP asked about them. Carry on with your self admitted thread hijack.
    That's a funny sounding apology.

Wow, you're kinda being a cunt.

When you've been as helpful to other mags as MiCol -- then maybe you can judge.

There's only one compass that's off and it's not the guy who offers friendly and helpful advice to fellow mags. Wind your neck in.

Who the fuck is this tenB asshole ???????
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Who the fuck is this tenB asshole ???????
    Fuckin douchebag from the sounds of it. clearly doesn't know what a rock star mag MiCol is. Crawl back under whatever rock you slithered out from dude.