Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Haaaahaaaaaa ya that out to fix his sidewalls

thanks for all the detailed response so far. You've given me a lot to think about.

When I got this bike and set it up, I didn't ever imagine riding downhill much. Pretty quickly realized I'd way rather ride downhill than flat. I guess I don't really know what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    <snip>

When I got this bike and set it up, I didn't ever imagine riding downhill much. Pretty quickly realized I'd way rather ride downhill than flat. I guess I don't really know what I was thinking.
    It's obvious that you weren't...

The right tire, and great technique.

http://youtu.be/jOlVJv7jAHg

thanks for all the detailed response so far. You've given me a lot to think about.

So what tires are you actually running??

You can ride flow/park on a rigid bike, it's just harder. And it's preferable to have 26" or 20" wheels....

Last edited by Damian Sanders; 07-27-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

The right tire, and great technique.

http://youtu.be/jOlVJv7jAHg
    The vertical berm doesn't hurt, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post

You can ride flow/park on a rigid bike, it's just harder. <snip>
    Hell... you can ride flow/park on a cruiser bike.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fabio-...bike-2016.html

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

Woof!

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...orifed-hybirds

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

That is funneh

more tire pressure, genius!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post

You can ride flow/park on a rigid bike, it's just harder. And it's preferable to have 26" or 20" wheels....

2.4 Maxxis Ardent front, 2.4 Continental X-King rear.
    They were cheap and available. Everything has been fine until I started riding these downhills, and basically everything is fine with that too except a few key moments really laying into a turn.

When I first got this bike, I rode it single speed with a rigid fork. It felt a lot like riding a cruiser class BMX bike; but it sucked having to pussyfoot through rocks and roots. Now it's 1X9 with an older Reba fork....less BMX like. There's too much rock and root here to just go cranking into stuff on a fully rigid bike.

more tire pressure has helped....so thanks.

I'm getting to where all I really do is ride up and ride down. This XC bike may have been a bad choice. :-(

more tire pressure has helped....so thanks.

I'm getting to where all I really do is ride up and ride down. This XC bike may have been a bad choice. :-(
    Sell it now before it's worthless!

Oh, wait. Too late.

You should still craigslist it and get a proper 6" bike.

Riding up on a heavy, slow bike sucks balls.

I can go faster down than most with front suspension locked out and 29" wheels.

29 is so rad.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

get a kona process.

There are a lot of good Enduro bikes now (6" travel, up and down riding). Start looking for when you break the XC bike.....

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    There are a lot of good Enduro bikes now (6" travel, up and down riding). Start looking for when you break the XC bike.....
    That's what the shop-owning local maggot told me in person the other day. I'm shocked and disappointed at the price tag of these bikes. It's just beyond my means....in a very black and white way. The lower end (good used) is still like $1500, which is out of reach. I'm actually pretty bitter about it....I have a pretty hard time figuring how I can buy a Honda CR250 for less than a god damn bicycle. I also have a hard time figuring how the college students I constantly see riding around on these bikes managed to pull $3-5000 out of their asses for a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    get a kona process.
    have to get a huge raise or a new job first.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    get a kona process.
    Kona Process = the Praxis RX of Sprocket Rockets?

That's what the shop-owning local maggot told me in person the other day. I'm shocked and disappointed at the price tag of these bikes. It's just beyond my means....in a very black and white way. The lower end (good used) is still like $1500, which is out of reach. I'm actually pretty bitter about it....I have a pretty hard time figuring how I can buy a Honda CR250 for less than a god damn bicycle. I also have a hard time figuring how the college students I constantly see riding around on these bikes managed to pull $3-5000 out of their asses for a bicycle.
    Some of my friends would always get more than they needed from student loans, for 'living expenses', and buy new bikes every year. Same with ski equipment. Which is fine unless they are wanting loan forgiveness from the government.

Email from evo today has sales on devinci and transition

Cut back on booze and going out to eat for a couple months? Put it on a credit card and pay it off over time? Small loan from a bank? Drive uber in your spare time for awhile?

But I do agree that bikes are absurdly expensive. The 2018 aluminum hei hei I was just looking at has a sticker price of $3100 and you think "hey that's a pretty good price;" 1300 less than the carbon version with the same components.

I got my road bike for less than a third of msrp and it was still a lot of money. And I still wouldn't have been able to afford it if the shop owner hadn't let me pay him over time.
    Last edited by jamal; 08-21-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Cut back on booze
    Nonono!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Yeah that's kinda tough to cough up $5k for a bike for a large majority of people. I scraped by for most of the last 15 years spending a few hundred a year (or far less) on various gradual upgrades to a FS bike, but recently splurged in the last 3 years for a new frame (on closeout) and eventually built up a pretty high end bike for about $3.2K exactly as it sits - all M980 10 speed XTR, custom wheels with hadley hubs, aftermarket RS suspension, ks dropper, tubeless, good cockpit, etc. Would probably run about $6-7K new from a shop for something comparable in the current model year. Totally overkill for my riding these days, but not as exotic as the Ti hardtail I built up in the 1990's, and I can appreciate a high end bike.

Anyway, it's not too hard to get into full suspension on the cheap. There are plenty of mid range 26" bikes on ebay or pinkbike around $1K range or less. If you look hard enough, you can get a FS frame for $300-500, and a long travel fork for $200, if you wanted to swap over your current parts. If you're really just riding up/down bike park type stuff, you should consider getting into a 26" bike park friendly bike, and sell your current bike. Here's an SX Trail that's been on ebay for a while, $800 would take it, but I'd try to pay like $650 for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Special...0AAOSwZKBZI11X

There was one last month for $1000 with a really good parts spec and slightly better condition.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 08-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.

You can get a solid 26"DH bike for $900 bucks now. Fucking buyers market.

But yea, mountain biking is for people with extra money.
    However many are in a shit ton.