Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

2017 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Yesterday ^^
    Today vv

LOL, sorry
    What about it? Everything I said is true.. I dont get it?

Are you hung up on me saying they are “pretty” stable, and then saying I am too heavy for them? Both are true.

I can ski relatively fast on them without them washing out, so I consider them “pretty” stable.. more stable than most K2/Line/rossignol skis I have tried..but at my weight, I want more out of a daily driver.

The whole point of these were to be daily drivers. They are ending up being more of a “fun” ski. Too light and too turny for me as a daily driver, inbounds charger.

InB4 all the “manly man” jokes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I wish I kept those Viciks

I'm running them until they die. One of the best buys I've ever made. I'll bring them to BBI. You can take a lap for old times sake.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I'm running them until they die. One of the best buys I've ever made. I'll bring them to BBI. You can take a lap for old times sake.
    One of my worst sellers remorse circumstances.. I’m glad you got them though

Wren 108s are calling my name. They fix some of the (very minor) complaints I had about the vicik. Only issue is I cant afford them.

Yep. Not sure why I sold mine but glad I was able to recently score another pair. Ripping around on them a week ago reminded me why I loved them so much and was such an idiot for selling mine a couple years ago.

. They fix some of the (very minor) complaints I had about the vicik.

Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yep. Not sure why I sold mine but glad I was able to recently score another pair. Ripping around on them a week ago reminded me why I loved them so much and was such an idiot for selling mine a couple years ago.
    They literally do everything so well. I am such an idiot for selling them, but glad a mag got them.

Compared to the skinny Q’s, the Viciks felt more predictable in the sidecut, heavier and more damp/energy absorbing in their layup, and almost as nimble.

Care to elaborate?
    Sizing and stiffness mainly. 189 suits me better than 186. I also heard the Wren 108s are stiffer than the Vicik. At over 200lbs, I always wanted the Vicik to be about 10% stiffer/heavier.

The Wrens also have the new rocker profile, which will make them even better in Powder. I thought the viciks were great in powder, but I’ll gladly take even more performance.

Makes sense. I personally don't care about pow performance since I have other skis for that. They do ski well in pow up to a foot though. I really enjoy them in 8" of cut up pow. They are just so smooth in that element.
    Personally if it's over 6" I bring out other skis but may transition to the Vicik later in the day.

Makes sense. I personally don't care about pow performance since I have other skis for that. They do ski well in pow up to a foot though. I really enjoy them in 8" of cut up pow. They are just so smooth in that element.
    Personally if it's over 6" I bring out other skis but may transition to the Vicik later in the day.
    True.

I need more time on -10 Quixotes to see if they “click” like the vicik did. If I remember correctly, the viciks started off as OK, then I grew to love them.

However I also have some debt I need to pay..

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 12-06-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Nice^^^post some pics.

Putting wax on my protests for the first time tonight. We need some snow. Not taking them for their virgin ride on low tide.
    Will post pics once I get them mounted- cribbage boardery has commenced!

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Will post pics once I get them mounted- cribbage boardery has commenced!
    Or how about crappy pics now

193 MVP standard layup no carbs n owned now by 3 separate mags, i will be Mount #3, going with Dukes on the line. Hobbit mountain firesky graphic. This will be an EC soft snow touring ski that will probably see the majority of its use at the resort as EC pow/ post deep pow ski. May become a WC travel ski depending on how they measure up to the rest of the quiver.

My intro to the brand and they seem like they’re going to be fun and a little chargy at this length.

5’7’’ 195-205. a ‘man of limited ability’

Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-09-2017 at 12:19 PM.

@betelgeuse - what are you hoping to get for the skinny Q’s?

185 cm 9d8 Standard

Honestly never imagined I’d be riding Praxis given exchange rate and such from Canada but by pure chance found an insane deal locally, same BSL, barely used and with skins and everything.

Skied/toured with them once at an avi course. Didn’t get enough turns on them to get a good feel for them, and the bindings need a toe shim. But so far so good. And damn are they pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    @betelgeuse - what are you hoping to get for the skinny Q’s?

Shoot me an offer

Shoot me an offer

This isn't eBay. C'mon man. You know the rules.

SKI OFF! ........for Praxis pink slips

^^ To the death!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    SKI OFF! ........for Praxis pink slips
    Yes!!!

Shoot me

Fixed it for me

$350 for skinny Quixotes

187, Maple/Ash, #4. Much easier to ski than my 189 Rx with similar layup.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 12-10-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Anyone ski the MVP in front of the dimple? I'm considering mounting my 183s at +2 from dimple (-4 from center). This will be my daily driver and I like to nose/tail press and ski switch, I usually prefer a more centered stance. I also like speed and really don't want to be riding in the backseat in fresh snow when it's time to do the macharena. I was hoping to be able to ski these in up to 8 inches before busting out bigger sticks. I really like my 186 gunsmokes at -4 from center, only felt forced into the backseat on big very dry days. Smaller guy at 5'8 135, and mostly ski Abasin and Breck. I appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    Anyone ski the MVP in front of the dimple? I'm considering mounting my 183s at +2 from dimple (-4 from center). This will be my daily driver and I like to nose/tail press and ski switch, I usually prefer a more centered stance. I also like speed and really don't want to be riding in the backseat in fresh snow when it's time to do the macharena. I was hoping to be able to ski these in up to 8 inches before busting out bigger sticks. I really like my 186 gunsmokes at -4 from center, only felt forced into the backseat on big very dry days. Smaller guy at 5'8 135, and mostly ski Abasin and Breck. I appreciate any thoughts or opinions.
    Chances are Keith skis them in front of the dimple. I’d email him

I think I'm now leaning GPO over the Quixote.

Quote Originally Posted by ichibaneye View Post
    I think I'm now leaning GPO over the Quixote.
    Why?

What is it you're looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    After exchanging several emails with Keith, I mounted 1 cm behind the dimple on 193 ash/maple, 3+ flex core and digging it there. But I like skis like the Volkl Explosiv and Dynastar Legend Pro, which are both mounted pretty far behind ski center. (Think the 'Spolder is 11 cm behind center, and I mounted 186 LP's 1 cm behind the line... perfect!)

Also asked The Champ, Drew Tabke, where to mount the MVP and his response 4 years ago was -

"For that MVP, if you want to go back on mount point, I would suggest not more than 1cm. The suggested mount point is pretty spot on, and I think I end up skiing about 1cm forward, so you don't want to end up too far back. It should have enough surface area up in the shovel that you don't have to lean back to keep from diving tips.

Hope you like them, that's one of my favorites from Praxis, my go-to if I'm not using the GPO."

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Chances are Keith skis them in front of the dimple. I’d email him
    ^^^ I'd give this a try ^^^

20 cm of fresh coming in tomorrow to nuke all 800 feet of our local hill. After work tomorrow I'm gonna have a ski-off versus myself. Quixote will battle GPO. Had a few extreme hardpack days on the Qs so far, and I'm resisting the urge to talk about them yet, but will have a little to chime in tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Why?

What is it you're looking for?
    Because when compared to the Q it can be flicked around tighter and quicker if need be & with less effort. At least just based on turn R° and when compared @ the same length. As for what im looking for all together, now that's a longer answer.

Although I like the Q's shape n special ski specific inside cuts, shape too. Plus they're very close to one of my favorite shaped and skiable skies my 2010 sfb's 142-115-139 the Q are
    142-118-131 and have got some of that camber still too. I'm not exactly sure how much the GPO's have when compared to the Q's camber. I'm thinking if I do stay with custom Q's I'll now go #5flex with enduro carbon.