Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'd look at a 106 GPO (-10) as a quiver ski and wouldn't expect it to do as well in deeper snow as the full-width version. The spot it would fill would "require" quick, pivoty attributes in anything from pretty hard snow to chalky to boot top.
    Exactly. I want a touring ski for a mix of junky snow on spring steeps. I want a ski that will pivot easily but also hold a solid carve if I want it to. And I want a little pop in the tail. About 4 lbs/ski.

The original pre-carbon Praxis BC's which were stiffer in the tip and tail were good, but the tails washed out a bit too easily. Maybe I just need to ski my Zero G 108's more.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Exactly. I want a touring ski for a mix of junky snow on spring steeps. I want a ski that will pivot easily but also hold a solid carve if I want it to. And I want a little pop in the tail. About 4 lbs/ski.

The original pre-carbon Praxis BC's which were stiffer in the tip and tail were good, but the tails washed out a bit too easily. Maybe I just need to ski my Zero G 108's more.
    You're getting me stoked for a Spring order: -10 width GPO / 182 / flex #4 / Enduro / Carbon / Veneer.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-01-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

2017 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I’ve also been thinking -10 gpo. Debating heavy core with cast or enduro with shift. Veneer on either , maybe carbon if it’s the heavy core maybe not. Enduro with shift might be more versatile though. Thinking 3+/4- kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I've been thinking about this and am questioning whether I just want to be a better skier. Feel like I'm goldilocksing the shit out of it. I've been on the zero g, the scout, the moment tallac (belafonte tour edition) and moment underworld. Underworld too turny / flimsy, tallac doesn't pivot unless you jump (too much camber), zero g ji didn't get much time on but it seems to do everything competently but isn't fun, scout is just a dead plank.

I feel like minimal camber of a gpo -10 would fit the bill perfectly. Nice radius, not too much sidecut for steeps, but you can pivot the thing when you need to. I love my 192's inbounds. SF I really want to hear your input (before spring sale opens)

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I’ve also been thinking -10 gpo. Debating heavy core with cast or enduro with shift. Veneer on either , maybe carbon if it’s the heavy core maybe not. Enduro with shift might be more versatile though. Thinking 3+/4- kind of thing
    I see a trend here ;-)

I've been pondering going a half click softer as well - especially since this will likely do double duty for inbounds and I beat the crap out of myself in refrozen garbage. I could be tempted to go with the heavy core as well, but the veneer is so damp that I'm not sure I want the extra weight for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I've been thinking about this and am questioning whether I just want to be a better skier. Feel like I'm goldilocksing the shit out of it ...
    Goldilocks was the term that came to mind as well. I'm too old to become a better skier

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-01-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    Galibier Design

Haaaa ^^^ both those replies. Nailed it. Unfortunately I can fully empathize

I love my flex 4 ul 187 gpo. It’s great in anything soft or consistent, and yes it does get tossed around in chunky or broken stuff. But it’s 8.4 pounds for the pair. I think very respectable performance for the weight and size.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Surely someone has ordered and skied a -10 Protest?
    Curious as to how it feels compared to a Woo2.

Custom sale starts on March 25. Let the games begin.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Custom sale starts on March 25. Let the games begin.

... Thom
    Im going veneer and carbon Rx, enduro core with #4 flex. No doubt about it. Light enough for touring, should handle any condition..

Which veneer tends to be the most durable?

Everyone sez that the Maple veneers are most durable. I haven't experienced anything else, so I can't compare.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I also have maple veneer and have found it durable

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Im going veneer and carbon Rx, enduro core with #4 flex. No doubt about it. Light enough for touring, should handle any condition..

I have that exact ski in the 184 cm with the maple veneers. Probably put about 7 or 8 days on them, touring and resort. Best ski evah. The maple veneers (so far) are much more durable than I would have expected. We had a shitty start to the season and still have what is normally late Dec. coverage. The veneers and bases have been rock stars.

Ok, who is taking home those custom protests on the discount skis section of the Praxis site??? those things are sexy AF

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Ok, who is taking home those custom protests on the discount skis section of the Praxis site??? those things are sexy AF
    They're definitely crispy but I think most would rather pay $650 for a custom in 22 days and 6 hours (stoked) than $640 for someone else's custom now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Except you could ski them next week as opposed to next season. Wish there was and they were the mythic 182 length. They’d be mine

Forgot about that, you're right

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Moved the bindings on my custom Super Freerides back again to -3. Going to give them another shot, I’ve got too much money into them at this point to give up. Wish me luck. Third times the charm? Maybe? Hopefully?

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

With all the accolade for the RX and as a big fan of subtle full rocker a la Katana and rocker-flat-rocker profile a la OG Cochise I’m thinking to ask Keith for a zero camber RX in the custom sale. Should work on the RX, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    With all the accolade for the RX and as a big fan of subtle full rocker a la Katana and rocker-flat-rocker profile a la OG Cochise I’m thinking to ask Keith for a zero camber RX in the custom sale. Should work on the RX, or not?
    Is zero camber an option for all skis or just a few?

I’d like especially the RX in 189 with zero or 1 mm camber.

^Sounds very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I’d like especially the RX in 189 with zero or 1 mm camber.
    Someone needs to explain the benefits of a zero cambered and rockered tip only ski. The Rx already floats well; it surprises everyone how well it handles hardpack. Wouldn’t flattening the camber just give it better float but lessen its hardpack talent?

I think it helps them pivot when they’re flat. Personally I prefer 2-3mm. I think 2-3 doesn’t give all the stability away when it’s flat but still pivoty if needed. Even 4 mm. Has anyone confirmed if this is even an optiion with the customs? RX and/or bc could be fun skis to try that on

2017 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Anyone skiing a -10 RX as a variable snow daily driver? Like it? Hate it? Would you do it again?